My attempt at a 1/4 scale mixed media Han on Tauntaun

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_D

Freakzoid
Reaction score
To give a little backstory I collect the Sideshow Premium Format statues and have also incorporated some of the Diamond Select Ultimate Quarter Scale figures into my collection after giving them a few modifications and creating bases for them.
In my personal opinion the face sculpts on them in some cases is better than the Sideshow PFs, clothing is also very good.

I was recently given the Han Solo Hoth Diamond 1/4 Figure star-wars-ultimate-scale-han-solo-hoth-outfit-1-4.jpg 20140205_193129.jpg
My original plan was to just sculpt a basic snow base using airdry clay but I then got the idea of attempting to create mixed media a 1/4 scale Tauntaun covered in faux fur with leather saddle etc.

I did a bit of research and ended up finding a thread on RPF from psimon who was creating a Tauntaun in scale with this figure and a lifesize head mount. I got some tips from psimon over at the RPF and used his drawing template and measurements as a basis for my own.

I printed off the templates and then cut them all out in card, I then created a layer effect with card and polystyrene and a hot knife to create a basic model to work off of:

20140205_131746.jpg 20140205_131751.jpg 20140205_131846.jpg

I ordered some faux grey fur, it looks a little dark in the first picture but you can see in the second it isn't that dark, it's also probably a bit long but nothing some scissors wont fix once it is all in place, I figure once its had snow/ice weathering applied it should look fine.

20140205_132014.jpg

I decided not to sculpt muscle detail etc into the body as after testing you couldn't see any details through the fur, so I started applying the fur:

20140205_153605_resized.jpg 20140205_163522_resized.jpg

The finished product will stand up straight, with the tip of the tail almost touching the floor, I didn't want to put weight on the tail here as the glue hadn't completely set.

I'm hoping tomorrow I get time to finish the arm and leg on the other side (I am doing this when I have free time at work, some days I have lots other days I am busy) and then I can look at making a start on sculpting the hands, feet, head and parts for the saddle.

nice idea !! :) really looking forward to this project.. :) Keep us updated here

I suspect it will look ok until the sculpted parts start... I've never really sculpted anything, I figure the hands, feet and saddle parts should be fairly simple, the head however I guess it's going to be a long process of trial and error!

nice start. interest piqued. staying tuned.........:lecture

I suspect it will look ok until the sculpted parts start... I've never really sculpted anything, I figure the hands, feet and saddle parts should be fairly simple, the head however I guess it's going to be a long process of trial and error!

The good thing is there are tons of images to use as resource material. Not just film stills, but close-ups of the actual puppet used for filming and the life size version they did for on-set work. Look forward to following this one.

Looking good so far, will watch for updates. I agree with you about the Diamond Select Ultimate Quarter Scale. I have the PT Obi-Wan and would like to make a clone wars version out of him to go with my Sideshow Premium Format clone trooper.

Had just enough time today to get the other leg and arm fur attached and then attached to the main body.
Also brought Han with me today too see how he looked on this thing, scale seems about right imo.
I'm a little unhappy with the shade of the fur but I'm hoping I can lighten it up with some type of weathering, it's definitely going to need a hair cut as I think the fur is way too long right now. Going to get the shape for the feet and hands done tomorrow hopefully and then I can start sculpting the claws etc.
My Brown leather shoe lace arrived and it seem to be about the right size for the straps and reigns so I think I'll order more of those.
20140206_161251_resized_1.jpg 20140206_161341_resized.jpg 20140206_161359_resized.jpg 20140206_161425_resized.jpg

Looking good so far, will watch for updates. I agree with you about the Diamond Select Ultimate Quarter Scale. I have the PT Obi-Wan and would like to make a clone wars version out of him to go with my Sideshow Premium Format clone trooper.

Yeah I have the PT Obi-Wan and it really is a great looking piece, if you come up with a way to make 1/4 armour for him I'd definitely be interested!
I have PT Obi-Wan, Mace, Anakin (the worse of the bunch better paint apps on the face would make a massive difference as the sculpt is good) the Emperor and this Han all look great alongside the PFs.

I thought the same thing earlier lol
I'm hoping a trim and either watery pva or hair products will give it less of a grey chewie look.

Where did you get the fur? Did it come already attached to that backing? How flexible is it? Could use this for Chewie if it comes in brown.

It's already on the backing and is as flexible as a piece of fabric so very.
I got it From this ebay auction eBay Fur it comes in many different colours.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered and paid for the Chewie PF I would consider giving a 1/4 Chewie a try.
I think one of the Diamond Select quarter scale figures could be used as a base with some slight height mods (they're around 19" tall) I may still give it a try in future as I'd much prefer a fur covered Chewie over a sculpted one...

Made my first attempt at sculpting today with the hands, I'm fairly pleased with them for my first attempt my plan with the feet and hands is to paint them and then glue some of the loose fur I cut off of the body onto them.

20140207_164431_resized.jpg

I plan on having all the sculpted parts etc held in place with screws like this so if I come across a better colour fur I can redo the body but reuse the head, hands, feet, saddle etc.

Back