My attempt at a 1/4 scale mixed media Han on Tauntaun

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The haircut looks to have turned out good and the claws look very good. Slow and steady, this thing will turn out quite nice.

This is an ambitious and interesting project . Looking good , can't wait to see how it comes out . Keep up the good work !

Nice job on the paws. Also I like how you're planning ahead and giving it the ability to be taken apart if needed.

Thanks.
I've swapped the legs around (looks 100x better for it) and popped the paws in place, nails/claws came off so will have to glue those back on.

20140208_111121_resized.jpg

I'm going to try and make a start on the feet today.

This is looking great!! Really, really nice work so far. I cant wait to see the end result.

Thanks for all the WIP pictures, fun to follow the progress. Good stuff.

Had a go at one of the feet:
20140208_152927_resized.jpg

Also got templates blown up for the saddle and things, I'm hoping I can have everything but the head sculpted within the next few days (excluding tomorrow as I won't be at work).

WOW! This is looking soooooooooooo good. With Han being like 24 inches/61cm tall, the TaunTaun has to be what 4 foot/121 cm? Pictures probably don't do this justice for sheer awesomeness! :thud: :clap

I'll make sure he stays away!
Today I sculpted the remaining foot, solid seat part of the saddle, stirrups and the solid bag/case which hangs on the side of the saddle.
Everything should be set tomorrow so I can get a photo with both the feet in place and the saddle, stirrups etc will have to wait until I've painted them and bought some more straps too attach them on.
Only sculpting remaining now is the head which I'm really not looking forward too, I can see me doing this numerous times.

So I've made an attempt at the head and overall for my first real attempt at sculpting I'm pleased with the out come.
20140211_161628_resized.jpg
20140211_161633_resized.jpg
20140211_161643_resized.jpg
20140211_161654_resized.jpg

I have also done the horns but they will have to be attached afterwards and I didn't take a picture of those.

I realised after I'd done the pics that I hadn't left any poles for the ears to slot on to so I added those and will sculp them onto the poles tomorrow when they've set in place.

Also snapped a quick pics of the saddle and bag/case, saddle should look ok once painted and weathered to look like leather, the case I may do again.
20140211_094642_resized.jpg
20140211_094718_resized.jpg

I like watching this come together. You're doing a very nice job. Keep the pics coming!

Sent while traveling through Hyperspace

Thanks hoping to pick some paints up after work tomorrow and aiming to have this close to finished by the end of the week.
Waiting on various different types of straps for the saddle and reigns etc to arrive as well as some modelling snow which I believe is uses for model railways.
Once everything is done I need to create a base.

I realize you have some fake snow coming, but you should give plain old baking soda a try.

Simply mix it with a little bit of watered down PVA glue until it becomes a paste. Then simply apply it to the surface of your base and the Tauntaun body. It won't damage the surface like some products. You can change the effects by simply adding more water for a thinner mix, or more soda for a thicker clumpier snow. It dries rock hard (depending on how much glue you use). Then if you want, on top spray some adhiesive, or just brush on some more watered down glue and sprinkle a 50/50 mixture of baking soda and salt. That will add a bit more texture and the salt adds a bit of sparkle too. I haven't done the soda/salt mix on fabric though. i'm not sure if it would damage it over time. Its just table salt, so I'm sure it would be OK. Works great on bases though!

Here's some examples I've done

Back