Modifying Your Hot Toys TDK Suit Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did anyone find out what that material Tin used to make the head bigger?

it looked like pieces collected from a green sponge

oh i thought Tin was the guy who's pics are in the locked thread

those pics show some odd looking green thing

thanks for this
it's kind of a bad translation
i didn't catch how he fixed the head
is this the same screws in the head guy?

There are a bunch of guys that did the head mod over HK (bbq, Tin to name a couple out of my head...) They pretty much just find a spot, and screw in 2 screws at a certain angle to expand the head sideways. not much tricks particularly, as long as you screw them at the right angle. However, I don't recommend that mod myself. The modded heads look very bloated. The TDK head looks narrow in some early pics, but it actually look very good in person. So widening it is not necessary, while it makes the eyes way too centered in the middle. Here is one of qqb's pics in the picture thread after his mods, scroll down to the middle:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1193611#post1193611

For the rest of the body, just look through the mod info on bbq (think he use qqb on this board). Pretty much everybody followed what he did as he modded it first and did a tutorial. Though I feel that he slimmed down TDK's waist way too much. From almost all Movie pics, Bale's waist is very straight under the TDK suit. So when you sand the body, take out a decent amount on both sides of the ribs. But add a little padding or stuffing on the mid waist sides (the section causing the beer belly). You'll then get a very nice straight waist, slimmer, but without being too narrow or 'girly' on the mid waist. Don't really need to sand down arms, as it does little to improve the look (I tried).

Last edited:
i actually love the modded heads
they really make it more accurate, imo

i wonder what size screws to use, or what kind in general XD
too big would make the head fat, too small would most likely not make any drastic changes to the head

Alright, finally got it done. Not perfect but, it's as good as i can manage, and i think it's pretty damn good personally:
hthkb1.jpg

hthkb2.jpg

hthkb3.jpg

Poseable and swappable with the cowl head.

Looks great from the front! Nice mod. Obviously the back looks a little jarring since there's obvious cuts but since the main view is from the front I like it. Good job.

The head sculpts are made out of most likely a PVC plastic, which is softer and more flexible, while bodies tend to be the harder more rigid ABS plastics.

The bruce headsculpt is pretty soft and mallable once you get into it, i had to remove the existing socket and then gut the crap out of the inside and put the socket back in so the head could sit lower on the bat neck, and also go over it a bit so it can sit right.Thats why the back and base of the headsculpt are cut off and different.

Did you paint the costume as well? The armor plates on the abdomen area are black on yours.. Or is it because of the lighting?

Can anyone tell me how to swap out the cape on this one for the takara cape. I dont want to rip or break anything. thanks

Can anyone tell me how to swap out the cape on this one for the takara cape. I dont want to rip or break anything. thanks

I had to. Theres not really a way to make this costume look accurate with the takara cape without some modifications as far as I know.
I simply cut the middle of the cirular part opening that goes over the takaras head/neck then glued either side into the two spaces on the dark knight suit where his normal cape goes.
Its much easier to take the chest armor ( if thats one way to put it ) off and glue it on then put it back on.

Yeah i bet it is I am just nervous about taking the chest armour off because I dont want to break it. Also I want to slim the body down and I have seen all of the posts but I really dont know how to take the suit off either.

Having just worked on mine to do some tightening of the chest armor i can describe how to get it off and to get to the chest.

The simplest way with the armor is to pop out the underarm straps, those pieces of plastic which are part of the front of the armor peg into the back or the shoulderblades of the armor. Slight pulling and prying with careful tension can pop them out of the shoulder blades, once both sides are popped off they are flexible enough to bend out from under his arms and then pull the armor off (with the head already off).

Once thats done you have the figure without the chest/shoulder armor on it, just roll the very large open collar down over the shoulders, the suits very flexible and is preshaped so it will go back to its original form even if its been rolled down over the body. BUT note that the sleeves are glued to the elbows to keep them in their proper place, so dont go to far with the sleeves, i just rolled the suit down to his abs, i did it with rolling the suit down and outward so the inside of the suit was exposed, so that any debris or mistakes wouldnt hurt the outer suit.

Then you do what you want with slimming, dremelling the pecs etc. I ended up trimming the under arm straps to be shorter, and then reglueing them to tighten the chest armor, because fact is even if you slim the body the chest armor is already preset to a certain size so you have to tighten it, so i just cut some size off the ends of the plastic straps and then sized and got it how iw anted then put the armor back on and carefully glued them on. It's not easy but its the only way i know, since its what i just did.

Back