Modifying Your Hot Toys TDK Suit Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same part break on me on my original suit (yeah, it was my fault, although I do maintain that the plastic in those wrist pegs can be quite brittle, and when those hands are so tight and hard to change...)

Anyway, I emailed Hot Toys twice and never received an answer. Ended up having to buy the part for waaaaaay too much money on eBay. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

...and the majority of people call these things toys when they are so fragile.

I had the same part break on me on my original suit (yeah, it was my fault, although I do maintain that the plastic in those wrist pegs can be quite brittle, and when those hands are so tight and hard to change...)

Anyway, I emailed Hot Toys twice and never received an answer. Ended up having to buy the part for waaaaaay too much money on eBay. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thank you for your help. Is there a specific body type I should be looking for in regards to the hand pegs?

Thank you for your help. Is there a specific body type I should be looking for in regards to the hand pegs?

I just did a search for things like "Hot Toys Batman hand" and "Hot Toys Batman wrist" - some people have parted out the various figures, so you can buy the headsculpts/bodies/pegs/etc on their own. If they weren't done in black plastic it would be easier, since I think they're the same joint as you find on the new True Type bodies, but they're cast in a flesh colour and would be pretty obvious. I think paint would rub off since they're such a tight joint, so that's probably not an option.

I just did a search for things like "Hot Toys Batman hand" and "Hot Toys Batman wrist" - some people have parted out the various figures, so you can buy the headsculpts/bodies/pegs/etc on their own. If they weren't done in black plastic it would be easier, since I think they're the same joint as you find on the new True Type bodies, but they're cast in a flesh colour and would be pretty obvious. I think paint would rub off since they're such a tight joint, so that's probably not an option.

Thank you for the additional info, aussieinnyc. I'll definitely look into those options.

Any advice for getting the remaining part of the peg out of the wrist hole? I've tried tweezers, but they just don't have a strong enough grip to pull it out. I'm thinking of just digging out the remaining piece of the peg with a small knife or scalpel.

Last edited:
Thank you for the additional info, aussieinnyc. I'll definitely look into those options.

Any advice for getting the remaining part of the peg out of the wrist hole? I've tried tweezers, but they just don't have a strong enough grip to pull it out. I'm thinking of just digging out the remaining piece of the peg with a small knife or scalpel.

use your back teeth to lock around the upper part of the peg careful not to bite away the grooves for tightness; and pull! comes out cinch

I've found that squeezing the hand while it's connected to the peg helps A LOT to pull the peg out from the forearm.

Just to be safe, I use the boil and pop method. Its a hassle but I rather go with this route rather than feel sorry later on for breaking the peg

Thank you for all your recommendations. The teeth method would usually work, but the remaining piece of the pin is stuck within the wrist, so there isn't enough room to get my teeth in there.

What is the boil and pop method?

It's when you submerge a part/pieces in boiled water. Some prefer the hairdryer. For wrists, I prefer the boiled water due to its ability to get within the joint, whereas hot air can sometimes be deflected by surrounding parts.

When I had to do it, I ended up digging at the post with a pin until I was able to lever it up high enough to get a good grip with the tweezers. Basically stuck the pin between the post and the side of the hole and eventually got it out.

On the plus side my stupidly expensive replacement eBay wrists came today. Yay!

Just out of curiousity, has anyone thought about making a bodysuit out of a mesh fabric then cutting out the armor peices and glueing them on the bodysuit? I love the figure HT gave us but the one thing that has annoyed me a little is the mesh material looks like rubber and not real fabric (at least from all the pics I've seen). If I had steady hands, I'd almost be tempted to do this once I got the figure in hand.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone thought about making a bodysuit out of a mesh fabric then cutting out the armor peices and glueing them on the bodysuit? I love the figure HT gave us but the one thing that has annoyed me a little is the mesh material looks like rubber and not real fabric (at least from all the pics I've seen). If I had steady hands, I'd almost be tempted to do this once I got the figure in hand.

It annoys me too, specially the fact that Medicom seem to have that very accurately done. But I would not dare attempt doing something like that myself, I think i'll get over the slight inaccuracy. Also, I think HT made a concious decision not to go with the armour plates over fabric route because it would have limited poseability. And with extreme poses the armour plates would probably have popped off.

It annoys me too, specially the fact that Medicom seem to have that very accurately done. But I would not dare attempt doing something like that myself, I think i'll get over the slight inaccuracy. Also, I think HT made a concious decision not to go with the armour plates over fabric route because it would have limited poseability. And with extreme poses the armour plates would probably have popped off.

The DC version suffers this, the arms can't keep tight positions close to the chest and such, the legs/arms pop back to almost straight.

got the figure today , I hate how it looks ( unmodified ) with the cowl on as I think the upper body looks too beefed up , it just seems to me like the legs look uneven with the body.
So , I simply have it stood him with the bale sculpt on and to me the body doesn't look so uneven. I am definitely considering modifying the body and I do think its necessary but for now I'm hoping someone will make a " really really clear tutorial on how to do it " since I will most likely break the figure. :lol

Anyway other than the little annoyance of the body being not to my taste everything else seems awesome ! :rock
At the minute hes stood next to the takara bats fully cowled so I do have a full batman there with cowl.

I also received this batman from a regular customer 2 days ago to get it modified. He complained that the chest is 2 'big' and it also have a 'belly' which spoil the whole image of the figure but he did not mention to modified the neck. Funny??? So I removed all chest parts and the rubber suit slowly and file the chest and stomach area flat then sand it smooth. The suit is also quite big and loose so I cut up the back of the rubber suit and pull it tighter than glue back again carefully. These are pics of the modified area and I hope these help those who wanna slim down the body so that it looks perfect when putting on the chest armour. On top of that, my customer also requested to make a Dark Knight helmet so he can pose the figure with Christian Bale's head and holding the bat cowl/helmet on his hand. So I used the same head and make a mould then cast it out in good quality resin. Of coz, I cut out the eyes and mouth area then painted it black. Anyone interested in this TDK bat helmet can PM me, thanks!!!

TDK_custom-1.jpg

TDK_custom-2.jpg

TDK_custom-3.jpg

Regards,
Jon

Back