Marvel Legends Icons 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got Unmasked Captain America and regular orange Iron Man Marvel legends Icons today!
They had the masked Wolverine but I passed, the head was badly painted and box was smashed to a pulp.
I don't own a camera so these descriptions will have to suffice.
They both stand 12" tall and are the same height as Sideshow's Krycek and Skinner figures. Cap's head is the same size as the Sideshow heads, but his body is so massive that it looks perfectly in scale. Iron Man's head looks a little too small but it still kinda works scale wise. It needs to be a little larger around the top and back of his head and a little longer at his chin.

--Packaging sucks. they were all dented and smashed.

--The sculpts on both are outstanding. They have a lot of detail and the faces on both look great. but they do have some unsightly cut off points here and there.

--Paint is great as well. Although Wolverine sucked, the only two Captain and Iron Man figures they had were perfect. Cap's eyes are looking off to the left side, Iron Man is looking strait ahead both look great.

--Articulation kinda works but they both have major problems.
Both figures have s**ty hip joints. They don't have correct ball hip joints, instead they have a twist joint at the top of the hip instead at the center of the hip at the crotch. That means in order to position their legs bending forward at the hip, You'll have to swivel the ball joint around at the top of the hip, then push the leg forward. If you want them out to the sides, you'll have to swivel the ball around again so you can push the leg out. The joint can achieve most poses but is very counter intuitive. Captain America is the worst because his right hip is very stiff.
Iron Man comparatively, has the best range of motion.
His head has two ball like joints (they're not true ball joints) that allow him to look up in flying poses and have great range. His shoulder pads also have joints that allow you to pose his hands upwards, forwards, and out to his sides. All his fingers are articulated at the knuckle, unfortunately he can't make perfect fists. The armor on his wrist joints also limits his ability to put his hands in a firing position, but you can try and push them into a satisfactory firing position. He's also lacking a twist joint on his calves but it isn't a big issue.

Captain America has that Twist joint at the calf, and articulated fingers but again can't make a true fist, however his left hand is sculpted much closer to a fist.
Cap has very limited range of motion at his shoulders. His arms can reach about a 45 degree angle out from his body and then swivel around at that angle. His shoulders articulate at the body forward and back but is once again very limited. His arms can obtain most posses but could've been done better.
Both figures have articulated ankles that allow you to place their feet squarely on the floor when their legs are out to the sides and they're very stiff so they hold their position well.

--Accessories for Iron Man are red transparent blasts that can be placed on his palms or feet. His mask is also removable, the face underneath looks perfect.
Cap comes with his shield. It has black elastic straps and a wrist clip in the middle on a swivel joint (just like his smaller counterpart's shield). Lastly both come with Comics.
Despite their articulation shortcomings they're both great figures, pick them up if you see them!
I'm really looking forward to the other figures previewed in this line. :D
By the way, here's somebody's review with pictures:
https://www.actionfigureinsider.com/features/MLIcons1.shtml

I onlyplan on gettin Cap (masked) and Iron Man. I think they're pretty well priced too. I'd ove a Thing in the future though, or Dr.Doom!

Wow, not much interest here. I guess the HT Supes and Batman figures are taking all the attention away.
I just read your review and I'm surprised you liked the ball hip joints so much. don't you think they could've been designed better with more natural hip articulation?

I also need to bring up something that's pissing me off about these figures. I mentioned that the hip joint on Cap was very stiff, I checked his hip in the light and the extreme tightness of the joint resulted in the plastic starting to tear in the hip socket. So I took him back to the store and replaced him with that Wolverine I saw. All of his joints worked fine with the exception of his pointing finger on his left hand, it was frozen in place and nothing I did could get it unstuck. I placed it in the freezer and tried moving it, no luck. I then cut around the joint thinking the paint was really sticking, it didn't work.
It appears to be permanently glued in place.

Toy Biz quality control SUCKS! That's two figures out of three that have some major manufacturing problems.

Yeah, when Marvel Legends first started, my Capt. America had glue in nearly every joint and was way too stiff. I had to soak him in hot water to loosen em up, and still some of the joints suck. Thats still not stopping me from pick up the big Cap. and Iron Man.

screamingmetal said:
Wow, not much interest here. I guess the HT Supes and Batman figures are taking all the attention away.
I just read your review and I'm surprised you liked the ball hip joints so much. don't you think they could've been designed better with more natural hip articulation?

At $16 each or so, I didn't expect to see a different body from a regular Marvel Legends. Add to that the fact that these ARE Marvel Legends, just twice the size, and I didn't expect a different hip joint. I'm sure they could make one with better articulation, but they'd be even uglier than these already are.

screamingmetal said:
I also need to bring up something that's pissing me off about these figures. I mentioned that the hip joint on Cap was very stiff, I checked his hip in the light and the extreme tightness of the joint resulted in the plastic starting to tear in the hip socket. So I took him back to the store and replaced him with that Wolverine I saw. All of his joints worked fine with the exception of his pointing finger on his left hand, it was frozen in place and nothing I did could get it unstuck. I placed it in the freezer and tried moving it, no luck. I then cut around the joint thinking the paint was really sticking, it didn't work.
It appears to be permanently glued in place.

Toy Biz quality control SUCKS! That's two figures out of three that have some major manufacturing problems.

I didn't have any problems with mine, but the 6" versions tend to have joints that are too loose for my tastes. The jointed hands on Wolvie are ugly and useless - I have no idea what they were thinking there - but I didn't have any issues with the rest of the joints.

I'll be picking up Cap when I can find the masked version, but I'm skipping Ironman. He's just too skinny looking, and I'm not much on the surfer boy version of the unmasked Cap. Still, these are a great deal for relatively well done sixth scale superheroes, and I'm looking forward to them continuing. *crosses fingers*

I appreciate both reviews. Sorry I hadn't posted sooner, I just didn't have anything to add. I'm looking forward to seeing them live and in person. I ordered them from my local comic shop so I won't see them until the first week of August as I recall. I think they look great for a sub $20. figure.

Michael Crawford said:
At $16 each or so, I didn't expect to see a different body from a regular Marvel Legends. Add to that the fact that these ARE Marvel Legends, just twice the size, and I didn't expect a different hip joint. I'm sure they could make one with better articulation, but they'd be even uglier than these already are.
Well that's just the thing, the Captain America Icons sculpt looked almost identical to the Cap. sculpt from the Marvel Legends Face off two packs. At least from the waist up it's the same figure.
But the hip joint on the smaller one is a correct ball joint, they changed that on the Icon version.

I didn't have any problems with mine, but the 6" versions tend to have joints that are too loose for my tastes. The jointed hands on Wolvie are ugly and useless - I have no idea what they were thinking there - but I didn't have any issues with the rest of the joints.

I'll be picking up Cap when I can find the masked version, but I'm skipping Ironman. He's just too skinny looking, and I'm not much on the surfer boy version of the unmasked Cap. Still, these are a great deal for relatively well done sixth scale superheroes, and I'm looking forward to them continuing. *crosses fingers*
It's a little of both too lose and too tight for me on the smaller ones I own. On most of the new Marvel legends 13 villains wave they were just a little too tight. When I first got the Apocalypse lower torso piece, it had very stiff hips, so stiff in fact that when I tried to move the ball on the hip (I move all joints on pieces before assembling Build A Figures) it snapped off completely and even sliced my hand in the process.
I emailed them and they sent me a replacement at no extra charge, which would be nice if it wasn't for the fact that they couldn't replace my Baron Von Strucker figure which broke because they poured glue into the shoulder joint and my Super Skrull figure that came with two extra right normal hands.
:(
Wolverine's hands do look like ass, it's almost a fist but his thumb is so far back it doesn't look like one. The second thing I most dislike about Marvel Legends is the lack of fists on their figures. I could do without the articulated fingers on all but Spider-Man figures. Iron man is a little on the thin side for a normal guy in a armor suit, but it's just an amazing figure that couldn't be any better in my opinion, the best figure from this Icons series.

I still haven't found these. I'll definetly pick up Cap and Hulk, probably Wolverine, thinking about Iron Man although I'd prefer the classic armor and totally pass on freaky, anorexic McFarlane Spidey.

Cap looks boss!

BB

moebius9 said:
I wasn't going to delve into these but I am finding them hard to resist after these images. They are very nice.

I tried my hardest not to get lured in, but in the end they are just too freakin' cool not to get. I love the Cap, I just bought the Iron man and now I'm looking for a Wolverine. I also have series 2 (Spider-Man, Hulk and Venom) on order and I can't wait for the Doom they had on dispay at SDCC that thing was awesome!!

The ill Jedi said:
I tried my hardest not to get lured in, but in the end they are just too freakin' cool not to get. I love the Cap, I just bought the Iron man and now I'm looking for a Wolverine. I also have series 2 (Spider-Man, Hulk and Venom) on order and I can't wait for the Doom they had on dispay at SDCC that thing was awesome!!

I'd love to see Doom! Do you have a pic of him?

BB

So far I'm just finding the variants. :lol I'm not complaining, because I hope that series two's will just be as easy to find (but not likely because only the shipping case ratio mix up this time). I think I prefer unmasked Wolvie to masked Wolvie. I'm just not a fan of that outfit. I actually found both Iron Mans, but not sure which I like better. The gold on the variant is missing in some places where there is yellow on the regular. Got the Variant Capt too, but not sure if I'll keep it. I want to see the regular one of him first.

BTW, the variants for series two seem to be a partial Eddie Brock head for Venom and ANOTHER Grey Hulk! Yes another Grey Hulk Variant :lol Not sure if Spidey is still even in wave two.

I like the unmasked Wolverine too. The head on the masked version is way too small, I found the unmasked version a couple of weeks ago and the head on that one is perfectly in proportion.
They also had the unmasked version of Cap but I passed because I didn't have enough for two and I didn't have a good experience with the first one I bought.
The new Wolverine has no stuck joints, unfortunately some of his are a little loose.

I'm still looking for masked Cap and gold Iron Man, no luck yet.

I'll probably get one of the Venoms in the next series. I have a roto Venom and don't like the idea of having a bunch of 12" Venoms on the shelf even though the Icon version seems superior. I also might get Spidey but I have the three Medicom versions, the Movie roto cast and the comic roto cast, not sure I need another.
The Thor, Hulks, and DR. Dooms are must buys.
Not sure about the Beast Icon.
Even though I like the brown and yellow version of Wolverine more then the yellow and blue version, I don't think I'll be buying any more Wolverines. Unless they're of his old costumes.
And that'll be a pass for me on the Punsher.

I think the variant for Spidey will be an unmasked version, and Doom will have a Doom Bot version.

Buzzybean, look here for pictures of the Beast, Hulk, Spider-Man, and Venom Icons:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=43374
Here's the Spider-Man Icon:
https://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&a...l_Icons&pic=100_6826.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0
Venom:
https://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&a...l_Icons&pic=100_6825.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

And here for the Brown and Yellow Wolverine, Punisher, Thor, and Dr. Doom Icons:
https://afigures.com/g/?mode=album&album=2006_SDCC/Hasbro/Marvel/Icons

I just got back from Wizard World Chicago and the masked Cap Icon was going for at least $50!! One place had it for $75!!!! :eek

Is it really that rare????

I guess Venom's tounge will be bendy then? Venom looks awesome. I just wish that they would have interchangeable heads instead of unmasked variants. $15 doesn't sound much for a 12" figure, but it is $30 if you want both versions. I won't be getting the regular Wolvie unless it goes on clearance or something. I'm still unsure which Iron Man I want (or if I want both). And some with Capt.

Bonehead15 said:
I just got back from Wizard World Chicago and the masked Cap Icon was going for at least $50!! One place had it for $75!!!! :eek

I currently have two, so no. I'm going to return one of them unless you want it. They might get more rare later though.

EDIT: D'oh. Miss read. I thought you said UNmaksed Capt. I only have the unmasked version. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Bonehead15 said:

It's rare at least for the time being. They screwed the case ratios so there's more Variants out now then Regulars. But I've heard that they're supposed to be evenly split in the entire wave, so The regulars might start showing up later more often.

It's rare but it's not worth that much, especially if you get a flawed figure.

Sorry Screamingmetal, I completely miss read that post. I thought it said UNmasked Capt. was going for that. I still haven't seen the masked on yet either. Sorry again for the mix up. :eek:

Hey- thanks for the links! Doom and Thor look real boss although that hammer Thor's carrying looks a bit strange and a bit too big. I'll pick him up tough, no doubt!

I agree Wolverine's head is too small. That sucks 'cause that could have been the best Wolverine Tha Biz has ever produced.

Man, I haven't seen any of these yet! I noticed they were releasing the variants of the Marvel Legends Two-Packs a month or two ago also but I haven't seen any of those on the shelves since that time. I hope to see more of those and these 12" soon!

BB

screamingmetal said:
I like the unmasked Wolverine too. The head on the masked version is way too small, I found the unmasked version a couple of weeks ago and the head on that one is perfectly in proportion.
They also had the unmasked version of Cap but I passed because I didn't have enough for two and I didn't have a good experience with the first one I bought.
The new Wolverine has no stuck joints, unfortunately some of his are a little loose.

I'm still looking for masked Cap and gold Iron Man, no luck yet.

I'll probably get one of the Venoms in the next series. I have a roto Venom and don't like the idea of having a bunch of 12" Venoms on the shelf even though the Icon version seems superior. I also might get Spidey but I have the three Medicom versions, the Movie roto cast and the comic roto cast, not sure I need another.
The Thor, Hulks, and DR. Dooms are must buys.
Not sure about the Beast Icon.
Even though I like the brown and yellow version of Wolverine more then the yellow and blue version, I don't think I'll be buying any more Wolverines. Unless they're of his old costumes.
And that'll be a pass for me on the Punsher.

I think the variant for Spidey will be an unmasked version, and Doom will have a Doom Bot version.

Buzzybean, look here for pictures of the Beast, Hulk, Spider-Man, and Venom Icons:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=43374
Here's the Spider-Man Icon:
https://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&a...l_Icons&pic=100_6826.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0
Venom:
https://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&a...l_Icons&pic=100_6825.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

And here for the Brown and Yellow Wolverine, Punisher, Thor, and Dr. Doom Icons:
https://afigures.com/g/?mode=album&album=2006_SDCC/Hasbro/Marvel/Icons

Back