LOTR Extended Edition Blu-Ray Preorder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't get why everything couldn't be on BD? only 6 BDs and the rest DVDs just strikes me as odd.

My understanding is that the material we see in the Appendices wasn't originally recorded in HD, so the DVDs are the quality that is available. I'll go back and find out where it was that I read that.

Edit: It was reported by 'The Digital Bits' that the Appendices were done in 16X9 SD and the Costa Boles docs in 4X3 Letter-Boxed SD. Behind-the-scenes work wasn't done in HD until around 2005-06.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the material we see in the Appendices wasn't originally recorded in HD, so the DVDs are the quality that is available. I'll go back and find out where it was that I read that.

Edit: It was reported by 'The Digital Bits' that the Appendices were done in 16X9 SD and the Costa Boles docs in 4X3 Letter-Boxed SD. Behind-the-scenes work wasn't done in HD until around 2005-06.

oh ok that makes sense then. thanks for the info :hi5:

While most BD players upconvert standard DVDs, the resulting image is nowhere near the quality of true 1080p HD. At best, it's comparable to 480p in quality.

oh yea definitely not 1080p, but most of my DVDs look as good as 720p on my BD player :huh

but all in all, I'm really glad these are coming out on BD. If I have the chance and spare $$ I will definitely get these but my DVD's will hold me over for now :)

but all in all, I'm really glad these are coming out on BD. If I have the chance and spare $$ I will definitely get these but my DVD's will hold me over for now :)

I sold all three of my EE DVDs to a local store specializing in used movies and CDs. Since they don't really keep themselves up to date on upcoming releases, I managed to get some decent cash for the boxed sets.

Now I'll just put that money towards the blu-ray set. I figure it'll be worth the $20-$30 difference to upgrade the movies to HD.

While most BD players upconvert standard DVDs, the resulting image is nowhere near the quality of true 1080p HD. At best, it's comparable to 480p in quality.

istockphoto_1535790_i_agree.jpg

You can't magically get 2,000,000 pixel image quality out of a 300,000 pixel source. Blu-ray has six times the resolution and you can't cheat that.

I do wish the wonderful EE special features had been originally recorded in HD, even 720p, but that's life. It will be great to have the movies in 1080p with HD master audio.

I contacted HMV today to ask why they did not have the Blu-ray up for Pre-order. As soon as they got my message they put it on their website. However I told them it's £5 too much compared to their competitors, so they got back to me saying they are reducing the price to £55, and if you use this code 5OFFHMV40, you can get it for £50. :D

Just checked Best Buy again. They have the Pre-sell Steelbook case up again for this release. It's just like the one they had for the theatricals. Doesn't say anything about a SSC giftcard this time though. Of course Best Buy is sketchy on a lot of things until closer to release time.

Looks like it could be cool but it would be more expensive for me to get it from them. Since, I have amazon prime I only pay whatever the price listed is. Sometimes it ends up cheaper if they drop the price anymore.

I got 10% off just for being a member plus free shipping but it still comes to $81.81 because of sale tax. :gah:

I'll wait and see if some other coupons or something show up.

BDLIVE gives 20% off. My total came out to be $73.xx after tax + free shipping. I'm pretty content with that price.

Not sure if many know about this deal, but B&N has a 50% off coupon floating around that many are using on this set.
I pre-ordered the Star Wars Saga set on blu today, and plan on going later this afternoon to order the LOTR set!

I posted more details in the sw forum here (scroll towards the bottom of the page) -
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81549&page=57

Happy Hunting and Good Luck!!!!

thanks for the link. just printed it out and asking the wife to go...with this discount, i dont mind the repeat dvds on this set. woohoo... thanks again!

Back