LOTR Extended Edition Blu-Ray Preorder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I didn't notice it being bad at all. Looked really good to me but glad it will be even better.

:1-1:
I'm guessing the fact that they couldn't fit them on one disc means that they are of an extremely righteous quality. :)

Thats my guess. Just the thought of seeing the EE in their Blu Ray quality has the biggest smile on my face. :hi5:

The existing Fellowship Blu-ray was okay/passable, but could have been much better. They recycled an old master that was high def, but created years ago with DVD in mind. The tools they used to "clean up" films for standard definition DVD release, including digital noise reduction, result in loss of fine detail and waxy skin when slapped on a Blu-ray and viewed on a large screen. The level of detail that can now be faithfully reproduced at home means that the old methods of mastering a film for DVD release aren't going to take advantage of all that Blu-ray has to offer in terms of resolution and reproduction of fine details.

Click to enlarge and compare the Blu-ray shot (first) to the HDTV broadcast (second)--the Blu-ray actually does a worse job capturing detail and faithfully reproducing textures like skin, hair and fabric:

lotr7bd.png
lotr7tv.png

I was happy to have the trilogy on Blu-ray, but FOTR could have been improved, and I'm glad they have gone back and given it a remaster more worthy of 1080p Blu-ray. It looked OK before, but now it will look even better.

I can see some differences there. Guess it looked pretty darn good on blu so I just thought it was fine. Glad they're improving it like you said.

Thats my guess. Just the thought of seeing the EE in their Blu Ray quality has the biggest smile on my face. :hi5:
:exactly: I am sure any big fan of LOTR has been waiting as long as I have for this announcement. Not long now, and I'll be planted in from of my LED TV in my Legolas costume surrounded by all of my LOTR statuary and watching the trilogy for an entire weekend wasted out of my mind on Jameson and Guiness! PARTY ON, LOTR NERDS!!! :happybday

:exactly: I am sure any big fan of LOTR has been waiting as long as I have for this announcement. Not long now, and I'll be planted in from of my LED TV in my Legolas costume surrounded by all of my LOTR statuary and watching the trilogy for an entire weekend wasted out of my mind on Jameson and Guiness! PARTY ON, LOTR NERDS!!! :happybday

:exactly: Well, minus the costume. :lol

awsome Im on vacation the week of fourth of july going to be a lotr extended cuts marathon I have this preordered from day 1 . this will be a speacial treat for me cause I never saw the extended cuts.

Well if anyone that upgrades wants to gift their theatrical BRs to a poor man, you know where to find me... ;)

i don't get why everything couldn't be on BD? only 6 BDs and the rest DVDs just strikes me as odd. besides the great packaging and the extra behind the scenes featurette with Costa Botes, I don't see much of a difference, material wise, than the previously released extended editions. I mean my BD player (like most/all bd players) upconverts DVDs to close to BD quality, so I may just have to sit this set out, or wait a few years when my DVDs start skipping and hope that Sam's Club has them at a lower price :lol

Back