LOTR Extended Edition Blu-Ray Preorder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope the video is better on these than the theatrical cuts.

Why would the video be better? Will they "re-transfer" the entire extended edition film? I would think it would be the same transfer with the new scenes added in.

I would assume they would do what they normally do with Blu rays and tweak the clarity of the films. They did with the TE on the Blu as its better than the DVD versions.

How did the Theatrical cuts differ from the HD versions shown on Spike? I thought the HD broadcasts looked pretty aweful. Color was over-saturated IMO.

Why would the video be better? Will they "re-transfer" the entire extended edition film? I would think it would be the same transfer with the new scenes added in.

Well, Paramount did that with the Gladiator blu-ray, and there were a gazillion complaints about how they used the old theatrical DVD master and then added in the extended scenes, which came from a more recent master and had better picture quality than the older release. So there was a clear difference in picture quality between the theatrical scenes and extended scenes.

With such a long wait for the EEs, I want to see a full remaster of the entire EE without any edge enhancement, digital noise reduction, and all that junk, and not have any picture quality issues from scene to scene. I'd hate to see the whole Gladiator fiasco all over again.

This is Warner, and this is owned by PJ. I haven't heard anything about PQ issues on any LOTR releases to date.

won't get this until they release the ultra limited extra-extra long versions with features such as PJ's bathroom breaks and the interviews with the extras families.

I've heard all the complaints and I don't know, maybe my eyes are crap but I've seen Gladiator and the Theatrical LotR's on blu and they look ok to me? :huh

I, too, am hesitating. If this is nothing more than a blu of what we already have on DVD, I'm tempted to just wait. If I remember correctly, PJ said he had nothing to do with the theatrical blu set. PJ has said more than once that there could be a version out that will include bloopers and other new stuff beyond the extras on the DVD EE. Since I've already got 3 versions of this, I am leaning toward waiting for that baby and be satisfied with my DVD.

I agree, but this is the bluray people have been waiting for given the crap theatrical cuts that were released early.

What you are saying is along the lines of "when the next Star Wars trilogy comes out there will be a 9 movie mega set". Well, yeah, but who is holding out for that when they can finally enjoy this now in HD? Just get the extended editions of the Hobbit when that comes out.

If you think the Theatrical version of FELLOWSHIP is "crap" then I'm sorry, but you need your head examined.

wow! is that the real boxart for the bluray EE's? this is great news! i just wish there was a release date. still, star wars AND lotr's, looking foward to these! next, would they PLEASE release the indiana jones blurays pleassee!

and what the hell do they mean by "limited"? the original EE's werent limited were they?

Last edited:
I can't wait for this. It's a definite buy for me, regardless of whether there'll be a super-duper-bells-and-whistles-extended-box-set out at a later date. I haven't got the patience to wait that long without something to tide me over in the meantime - and this'll do very nicely in that regard. We poor Brits can't pre-order the region 2 version yet though. :violin

Agreed Ak...I will be buying this regardless of the follow-on boxed set...I will enjoy these for 2-5 years before the boxed set...and likely be able to find it cheaper than $85 at some point around Christmas...Maybe $75 would be a good price...so a definite buy for me!

Check it out:

12237_back.jpg

Supposedly comes out June 28, more info here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6027

Whilst I think these cuts are far superior to the theatrical cuts, I find the whole thing far too dry and yawnsome.

Hairy hobbit takes evil ring to mountain.

Except it takes 9 hours or so to get there. 9 hours of inconsequential characters and action. Characters are introduced and exited with little or no weight or reason. You could cut a perfectly workable 2 hours version of this and the narrative would still work fine. Sorry. Just my opinion. I just wish Peter Jackson would go back to what he is great at. Crazy B movie ____.

There and back again, indeed. What a dull statement of intent.

Oooo that's nice, thanks for posting Kuzeh.
I want it and I don't even have a Blu-Ray player, may be time to upgrade :naughty :lol
x :wave

Back