Lethal Weapon vs. Die Hard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you like better?

• Total voters
Lethal Weapon had boobs aswell. They immediately jumped off a building though, maybe that's what discounts them for you....

The Characters John McClane and Martin Riggs i like McClane over Riggs McClane just the classic 80's hero to me Yippee Ki Yay.

I just watched all 4 Lethal Weapons in the past couple of days because I hadn't seen them in awhile.

The only ones that I love are, of course, the first two. The original and it's sequel. Part of me wishes that they followed through with Shane Black's original plan to kill off Riggs at the end of 2. When he gets shot up by Arjen Rudd, it really does feel like that should be the end of Riggs (especially with the gasping for Roger and the emotional "Knocking on heavens door" music kicking in). It'd have been better if Riggs died in his arms.

........nah. I like 3 and 4 so I'm glad they didn't go that route.

Even if I hated 3 and 4, I am glad they didn't kill off Riggs... It would have ruined the film for me and not made it rewatchable. It might even have tainted the first one.

Anyways I think part 4 is good with 3 being the only misstep... I blame the poorly done Villains.

........nah. I like 3 and 4 so I'm glad they didn't go that route.

3 has a few good scenes, ain't better than the first two though. What the hell happened to Pesci/Getz? In 2 he's great, but by three he's way too over the top. He was genuinely funny in the second ("ok, ok, ok") but in 3, I don't find him funny at all. Other than the end fight with Li, I absolutely despise 4. I forgot about Chris Tucker and Murtaugh's daughter getting together.

Seriously, having Riggs die at the end of 2 like what was originally intended would have been a better end to the series than everyone having kids and scrap book photos.

EDIT:

Also forgot how hot Patsy Kensit was in 2 as the secretary/Riggs girlfriend, dayum.

I concur with JAWS on this one. Killing Riggs would have been a very depressing ending to the film. Kinda like the whole why does everyone wanna kill Han Solo thing.......why do you wanna kill Han Solo. Stop wanting to kill Han Solo. Leave him alone, he already lost a year of his life in Carbonite!

That's another one that would have been great.

Leia goes to free Han out of the carbonite block, Han slumps out, DEAD. Then the curtains are pulled back, Jabba's laughing, and he reveals that he cut off the life support on his favorite decoration! Woulda been better than having Harrison Ford phone it in because he didn't want to be there anymore. Solo is one of my favorite characters, but I ****ing HATE him in ROTJ. Besides, how the hell did he get promoted to General when he was a pilot who had been in a sort of coma for over a year? :lol

As for Riggs, his character had come full circle. He overcame his suicidal tendencies, avenged his wife (and girlfriend) and got his family (the Murtaughs). He'd finally get his "peace" so to speak. He didn't need to **** Rene Russo to achieve that! I defy anyone to watch that ending again and tell me it wouldn't be appropriate for him to die. The music, Roger's expression, etc. Everything is leading up to it, from the bathroom bomb scene, to Riggs/Rudd authority match, to the wife reveal, to Riggs' rage in the last act. I hate how those mortal wounds are played off for laughs at the end, especially after we clearly see Riggs can barely breath while calling out to Murtaugh, and Roger pauses when he sees his friend slumped down on the ground. Woulda been a good end if the producers didn't see the $$$ signs. It's also BS that Shane Black was kicked off when it was his essentially his baby. I tried to hear how Donner felt about the end on the commentary, but him and Silver don't even mention that Riggs originally kicked the bucket. I bet there's footage of it somewhere.

Woulda cried deep manly tears if Riggs died in Murtaugh's arms after some great speech about family and friendship.

That's another one that would have been great.

Leia goes to free Han out of the carbonite block, Han slumps out, DEAD. Then the curtains are pulled back, Jabba's laughing, and he reveals that he cut off the life support on his favorite decoration! Woulda been better than having Harrison Ford phone it in because he didn't want to be there anymore. Solo is one of my favorite characters, but I ****ing HATE him in ROTJ. Besides, how the hell did he get promoted to General when he was a pilot who had been in a sort of coma for over a year? :lol

As for Riggs, his character had come full circle. He overcame his suicidal tendencies, avenged his wife (and girlfriend) and got his family (the Murtaughs). He'd finally get his "peace" so to speak. He didn't need to **** Rene Russo to achieve that! I defy anyone to watch that ending again and tell me it wouldn't be appropriate for him to die. The music, Roger's expression, etc. Everything is leading up to it, from the bathroom bomb scene, to Riggs/Rudd authority match, to the wife reveal, to Riggs' rage in the last act. I hate how those mortal wounds are played off for laughs at the end, especially after we clearly see Riggs can barely breath while calling out to Murtaugh, and Roger pauses when he sees his friend slumped down on the ground. Woulda been a good end if the producers didn't see the $$$ signs. It's also BS that Shane Black was kicked off when it was his essentially his baby. I tried to hear how Donner felt about the end on the commentary, but him and Silver don't even mention that Riggs originally kicked the bucket. I bet there's footage of it somewhere.

Woulda cried deep manly tears if Riggs died in Murtaugh's arms after some great speech about family and friendship.

Your a Sick man DiFabio!!! Killing off Riggs and Solo... WTF... I get what you are saying about Ford phoning it in. But with that logic you would have to kill him off in most of his films after ROTJ.

Riggs dying would have not fit the tone of the film IMO... As these films ultimately are feel good movies with some dark elements. And I LOVE... LOVE the scrap book ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember seeing this film in theaters back in the day and thinking they were going to kill off Riggs and Thinking about how pissed I was going to be. The film would have very little replay value for me. If would be this fun, kick ass action film that depresses the hell out of me after it's over. I don't want that type of film for my action hero's. That's what Drama's are for. :)

As for Riggs getting revenge for his wife... There was the typical Hollywood revenge plot devise that was a worse crime then letting Riggs live. It was better when there was no reason for her to be taken away. All to convenient for the South African Adolf to be the one who did it.

Now I can get why you would have preferred the ending... It would have been a very gutsy more realistic ending... Just not the ending most of us would have enjoyed.

Besides after Iron Man 3 all I can say is F Shane Black and his stupid ideas. I wish the producers got more involved with that film :)

I know this is a bit of a necro but I figured I would . . ahem . . chime in on this. lol I obviously enjoy both films a great deal. Each are really solid for the action genre. Despite both having really strong heroes I sometimes feel like movies are only as good as their villain. While the General made for the typical sadistic baddie it was Hans sleazy likability that made me partial. The way Hans and McClane play off one another throughout edges out the other movie ever so slightly.

So Die Hard for the first film but Lethal Weapon for an overall franchise.

I know this is a bit of a necro but I figured I would . . ahem . . chime in on this. lol I obviously enjoy both films a great deal. Each are really solid for the action genre. Despite both having really strong heroes I sometimes feel like movies are only as good as their villain. While the General made for the typical sadistic baddie it was Hans sleazy likability that made me partial. The way Hans and McClane play off one another throughout edges out the other movie ever so slightly.

So Die Hard for the first film but Lethal Weapon for an overall franchise.

Hans is the better villain, I agree. Although the General was an after thought compared to Mr. Joshua I think.

It's, easily, Lethal Weapon, for me. If I never sit through Bruce Willis smirking his way through another cheesy action flick ever again I'll be a happy man. Die Hard has a great & iconic villain in Hans Gruber, no doubt, but Lethal Weapon has an iconic henchman in Mr. Joshua who is infinitely more badass then any of the well dressed heels in Die Hard.

But, again for me, John McClane is a truly loathsome, smug & deeply irritating character whereas Martin Riggs & Roger Murtaugh are both incredibly likeable. Plus, I feel that Lethal Weapon has much better action scenes, a much better soundtrack, a much better story & is just, simply, a much better film.

:peace

Regarding Riggs dying at the end of LW2 I just want to see it. If it was filmed then I want it to be able to choose that as an "optional ending" via seamless branching on the blu-ray. Not as a deleted scene either. I want to watch the whole movie and then see how it plays to have him die. As it stands it's almost like Last Action Hero where he's clearly going to die and then the kid uses the magic ticket on him at the last second. Hell that might have been THE scene that the end of LAH was parodying.

It's been a while since I've watched the first LW. Doesn't it end with him at his wife's grave? Not exactly a happy ending to that one either.

Regarding Riggs dying at the end of LW2 I just want to see it. If it was filmed then I want it to be able to choose that as an "optional ending" via seamless branching on the blu-ray. Not as a deleted scene either. I want to watch the whole movie and then see how it plays to have him die. As it stands it's almost like Last Action Hero where he's clearly going to die and then the kid uses the magic ticket on him at the last second. Hell that might have been THE scene that the end of LAH was parodying.

It's been a while since I've watched the first LW. Doesn't it end with him at his wife's grave? Not exactly a happy ending to that one either.

Think it ends with him going into Murtaugh's house for Christmas dinner.

Back