Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Zod was a very sympathetic character. He was trying to keep his people and culture from extinction. His methods may have been extreme in that by keeping Krypton alive he would be exterminating another race, but he was doing what he was engineered to do. When he saw the ship with the embryo room get destroyed, he saw the future of his people end. The hate and anger that he felt toward Kal-El was warranted and completely in character.

I love these villain discussions. :lol

The last truly memorable villains of 2000's cinema I can think of are Barbossa and Davy Jones. That's pretty much it.

The last truly memorable villains of 2000's cinema I can think of are Barbossa and Davy Jones. That's pretty much it.

Really? Interesting. I wouldn't even have ever thought of them for a list like this. The first one that popped into my head was Bill "the butcher" Cutting from Gangs of New York. That and TDK Joker.

Well adding TV I would say Kingpin....

Before that I would go with TdK Joker also.....

Thats pretty sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? Interesting. I wouldn't even have ever thought of them for a list like this. The first one that popped into my head was Bill "the butcher" Cutting from Gangs of New York. That and TDK Joker.

I haven't seen TDK in over six years, so my memory on Joker is a bit cloudy.

The big reasons Jones makes my list is because he had relatable motivations, a cool character design, and a great actor performance, to say the least. I'm not saying that I think there are no other villains of 2000's cinema with those qualities, Jones is just the big one that pops into my head.

Yea, but....

Zod, neck snapped by Superman

Magneto, let walk away several times by Prof X.

Difference?

DC's heroes are killing machines because nothing says "hero" like taking the easy way out, duh. Also, the film was directed by a guy that snaps necks with a smile on his face.

giphy.gif

Yea, but....

Zod, neck snapped by Superman

Magneto, let walk away several times by Prof X.

Difference?
Professor X isn't a stone cold killer?

If I remembered anything about those Pirates movies, I'm sure I would agree with you.

The first one that popped into my head was Bill "the butcher" Cutting from Gangs of New York.
Great example. Fantastic villain, not so great Scorsese film. . .though in the current political climate, I can't help but thinking that almost half of the people out there would consider Bill a hero and not a villain.

https://youtu.be/zNIWiINURM4?t=1m30s

Neegan awesome villain in the walking dead. I like the actor but i haaaaaaate him in that series. Hate him just because he does it soo good lol. Joker to me is still the best villain in any comic book movie. I heard Daniel Day Lewis was a minster in There Will Be Blood. Still havnt seen that damn movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that the MCU and to a lesser extent the DCU have taken over the summer blockbuster job for the last 10 years is the reason no great villains have been presented. In fact the year Marvel broke out with Iron Man is the last year of a truly great screen villain: Joker 2008.

For everything Marvel does right, it does NOT deliver memorable or great villains. Not even Vulture, sorry. I doubt Thanos will change that. He's another blue monkey in a long line of weirdo armored zombies. Game of Thrones does a better job of presenting good villains.

I might love me some MCU but Wor is unfortunately right.

But still no denying that TWS and to some extent CW are the best action movies to come along in a very long time regardless of MCU's legitimate villain problems.

Sure one can argue that makes no sense because for an action movie to be considered a great action movie it needs to have an expertly crafted memorable villain which I just admitted the MCU fails miserably at but that's how great the superhero action are in those 2 movies, so expertly crafted that it makes up for any villain shortcomings they have.

Marry Sue me.

Last edited:
There has been some great movies out of the MCU... (Avengers, TWS, GOTG).... but we were just talking straight villains.

Two of the "villains" in my top three MCU movies end up being heroes. Lame. Imagine if after each Bond movie, the villain ended up becoming part of Bond's crew. Hey Blofeld, I need your help.

McClane: There's only one man smart enough to help me... Hans Gruber, who just happens to be recovering in a hospital from his fall.

There has been some great movies out of the MCU... (Avengers, TWS, GOTG).... but we were just talking straight villains.

Two of the "villains" in my top three MCU movies end up being heroes. Lame. Imagine if after each Bond movie, the villain ended up becoming part of Bond's crew. Hey Blofeld, I need your help.

McClane: There's only one man smart enough to help me... Hans Gruber, who just happens to be recovering in a hospital from his fall.

Yup, again 100% right.

Make it 101% lol

I think Loki and TWS were memorable.

Hydra as a group seems to be well known now.

Bane is also memorable and he came after Ledger.

Magneto is still technically a villain, and he's also in the memorable category, imo.

If we're only counting superhero films, then there aren't many, but in movies in general, there's a good selection of villains...more than the 90's had to offer.

I think Loki and TWS were memorable.

Magneto is still technically a villain, and he's also in the memorable category, imo.

You can't count as a villain a character who is better known for his heroic persona. Loki, WS and Magneto have spent more time on-screen as a hero than a villain.

I can't count them as legitimate villains. Rogues maybe, traitors... but not villains. They're more like Yondu: a gray character. But not SNIKT gray.

Back