Judge Dredd movie (2012)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Judge Dredd movie

I have to say I've never undestood the idea that what you hear - good or bad - about a movie before you see it means you're opinion of the movie after seeing it is different. If you tell me that you probably would have liked the movie more if people hadn't oversold it, then it's you - not the movie. It's the same movie, you're the one unable to judge it on it's own merits.

I understand being disappointed in a movie that's overhyped, or surprised by something I really like that was panned by others. But I've never felt like I liked it more because it was panned by others or liked it less because it was overhyped - had I never heard anything I would have liked or disliked the movie just the same, minus the surprise. How others feel about a show or movie doesn't alter how I feel about it.

I was talking about the experience of watching an overhyped movie. Of course the movie is what it is regardless and that wouldn't change. This movie would have been a 5.5/10 regardless of hype or criticism. But that 5.5 is going to feel like a letdown when you're settling in to be blown away by an 8-10 quality movie. Unmet expectations are unmet expectations whether they come from people, trailers, critics, what have you. I don't see why that would be hard to grasp.

It's not hard to grasp at all. It's just flawed.

It's why I did not enjoy The Godfather on my first viewing.

But after letting all that go, I was able to appreciate the film far more then I did.

I was talking about the experience of watching an overhyped movie blah-blah-blah...

url

You're responsible for your expectations, if something didn't meet those expectations, thats your own fault.

What a bizarre conversation to be having on this forum. So you walked out of Phantom Menace in 1999 after all those awesome trailers and the precedent of the OT and were okay that it was mostly about Jar Jar Binks and a cringe inducing Jake Lloyd. Right.

No, that movie ate *****.

But I'm still responsible for building it up in my own head. I could have been objective when I saw the trailers, but I wans't. My fault.

What a bizarre conversation to be having on this forum. So you walked out of Phantom Menace in 1999 after all those awesome trailers and the precedent of the OT and were okay that it was mostly about Jar Jar Binks and a cringe inducing Jake Lloyd. Right.

It was pretty much just like waking out of Return of the Muppe..Jedi 15 years earlier.

No, that movie ate *****.

But I'm still responsible for building it up in my own head. I could have been objective when I saw the trailers, but I wans't. My fault.

Okay, so I guess we can use 2012's Dredd, and only Dredd, as our starting point to randomly start waxing eloquent about how we should live out our lives with no expectations--ever--because its our own fault if those expectations aren't met. Don't listen to the opinions or experiences of others with anything other than a robotic drone-like awareness of what they're saying so that you don't expect anything (good or bad) in advance and therefore can't be blamed for a movie, or anything else, failing to meet expectations. All right. :cuckoo:

Everybody who ever watches a movie buys a ticket with the expectation that it will probably be good or at least worth the price of admission. But if it isn't, it's the audience's fault. :duh

;)

Hey you're the one who blamed yourself for thinking TPM wouldn't suck. Get off your little dramatic soapbox. TPM and Dredd were disappointing. The end. No need to get all philosophical about it.

I can admit that Dredd may not be for everyone - and that is true for pretty much any movie. If you liked it - good for you. If you didn't....not a big deal. I went into this hoping to be entertained - and I was. It's an action movie - I never have high expectations for action movies or ever think they are going to be a life altering experience. I just want to have fun...and this was fun for me. I also thought the acting was good - especially Headey as MaMa. If anything, I wish she had more screen time.

Okay, so I guess we can use 2012's Dredd, and only Dredd, as our starting point to randomly start waxing eloquent about how we should live out our lives with no expectations--ever--because its our own fault if those expectations aren't met. Don't listen to the opinions or experiences of others with anything other than a robotic drone-like awareness of what they're saying so that you don't expect anything (good or bad) in advance and therefore can't be blamed for a movie, or anything else, failing to meet expectations. All right. :cuckoo:

Everybody who ever watches a movie buys a ticket with the expectation that it will probably be good or at least worth the price of admission. But if it isn't, it's the audience's fault. :duh

;)

It's alright Khev, you know who else had something better to do?

[ame]https://youtu.be/H6TW6v39_kQ[/ame]

Dredd was disappointing for Khev who didn't see it until it was released for home entertainment. In that time frame he's been reading love posts towards the film from people enjoyed it.

I saw it opening night and had extemely low expectations, I thought it was going to be lame like most films from last summer.

I saw it and loved it. I might not feel the same way CelticP feels (sleeping with and ****ing his blu ray) but I do think it's great stuff.

Khev is a different dude, we all have different perspectives and opinions. We're not going to like the same crap. He gives it a 5.5, CP a 8 or a 9. Who cares.

you cant blame a movie if you have a crappy taste in the first place.

different strokes. different folks.

I was trying to pin down why I found this film to be particularly lacking compared to other films of its kind.

I'm curious as to how fans of the film respond to these points:

1. No establishment of Dredd being unique among Judges. In films like Cobra, Robocop, Last Action Hero, and so on the film typically sets up the bad guys as being incapable to deal with by regular cops...until the super badass arrives on the scene. We didn't get that in Dredd. He's the first one called to apprehend the criminals in the van and he dismisses backup but for all we know it's because he doesn't care/has a death wish/is a super badass--we don't know. He dispatches the bad guys but what about his success sets him apart? No other judge could have shot the van with the motorcycle machine guns? Or casually shot the guy with the head frying heat round? We have no context to his badassery.

Even in Peachtree all we know is that they've never had a judge called there before "but they've got one now." Okay, so does that mean *any* judge would have had the same success as Dredd but he just happened to be the first to make an appearance? His tactics and skill don't seem to be altogether unique. Everything is by the book, he even lets his rookie partner quote procedure (that he then follows) as various bad guys approach.

Sometimes "supercops" are unique because of their tactics (Cobra and Jack Slater,) sometimes they're by the book and simply can't be stopped (Robocop.) With Dredd, neither is established.

Even the other judges who show up to stop him seem to approach him the same way and other than the one guy demanding $1,000,000 because "he knows who he is," again, we never see what sets Dredd apart from them. One guy uses the same voice-activated gun tricks to shoot Dredd through a wall and could have literally defeated him if he didn't get too cocky at the last second. That's it? Dredd is special because he would never stop to gloat? Okay, that's cool and all but it's kind of a lacking defining characteristic, IMO (though Dredd actually did seem to pause himself when facing the "hothead" guy at the beginning. Good thing that guy didn't have a buddy waiting to shoot Dredd in the back.)

Anderson actually had the more interesting tactics (sorry Celtic, she was still a supporting character) what with the way she uniquely read the female judge's mind before blowing her away.

2. Showing their captive's imagination of having sex with Anderson just came across as smutty, nothing more. I didn't even realize that was supposed to be particularly violent or a "rape" until she described it as such when repeating it back to him. Usually rape victims aren't stripped head to toe, it just seemed like they were doing it rough. I actually would have considered that to be *more* offensive to her, that he was imagining her *liking it.* And if that really was supposed to be a "violent" encounter, then how tame compared to what we'd been led to believe the bad guys were capable of!

If he just said "what am I thinking" and then she got pissed about some "violent sexual liaison" I would have assumed something much worse was going on in his head. As such it just seemed like gratuitous smut.

3. Nothing really unique in the escalation of action. When Hans Gruber fell to his death that was something special the movie reserved just for him. But sending Mama off into a freefall? The fifth time we'd seen that happen in the movie. But she was under the effects of "slo-mo" so it took forever for her. So, that's exactly what happened to the three guys at the beginning and they were skinned alive first! All Dredd did was shoot people or throw them off the building (or both as with the guy that was set on fire and THEN went over the side) and finally he gets to Mama and what does he do? Throws her off the building. :cool:

Urban was such a badass and I really did love both his performance and his chemistry with Anderson but it just seemed to be lacking in some really crucial areas to make it a truly worthy entry into this genre of films.

I was trying to pin down why I found this film to be particularly lacking compared to other films of its kind.

I'm curious as to how fans of the film respond to these points:

1. No establishment of Dredd being unique among Judges. In films like Cobra, Robocop, Last Action Hero, and so on the film typically sets up the bad guys as being incapable to deal with by regular cops...until the super badass arrives on the scene. We didn't get that in Dredd. He's the first one called to apprehend the criminals in the van and he dismisses backup but for all we know it's because he doesn't care/has a death wish/is a super badass--we don't know. He dispatches the bad guys but what about his success sets him apart? No other judge could have shot the van with the motorcycle machine guns? Or casually shot the guy with the head frying heat round? We have no context to his badassery.

Even in Peachtree all we know is that they've never had a judge called there before "but they've got one now." Okay, so does that mean *any* judge would have had the same success as Dredd but he just happened to be the first to make an appearance? His tactics and skill don't seem to be altogether unique. Everything is by the book, he even lets his rookie partner quote procedure (that he then follows) as various bad guys approach.

Sometimes "supercops" are unique because of their tactics (Cobra and Jack Slater,) sometimes they're by the book and simply can't be stopped (Robocop.) With Dredd, neither is established.

Even the other judges who show up to stop him seem to approach him the same way and other than the one guy demanding $1,000,000 because "he knows who he is," again, we never see what sets Dredd apart from them. One guy uses the same voice-activated gun tricks to shoot Dredd through a wall and could have literally defeated him if he didn't get too cocky at the last second. That's it? Dredd is special because he would never stop to gloat? Okay, that's cool and all but it's kind of a lacking defining characteristic, IMO (though Dredd actually did seem to pause himself when facing the "hothead" guy at the beginning. Good thing that guy didn't have a buddy waiting to shoot Dredd in the back.)

Anderson actually had the more interesting tactics (sorry Celtic, she was still a supporting character) what with the way she uniquely read the female judge's mind before blowing her away.

2. Showing their captive's imagination of having sex with Anderson just came across as smutty, nothing more. I didn't even realize that was supposed to be particularly violent or a "rape" until she described it as such when repeating it back to him. Usually rape victims aren't stripped head to toe, it just seemed like they were doing it rough. I actually would have considered that to be *more* offensive to her, that he was imagining her *liking it.* And if that really was supposed to be a "violent" encounter, then how tame compared to what we'd been led to believe the bad guys were capable of!

If he just said "what am I thinking" and then she got pissed about some "violent sexual liaison" I would have assumed something much worse was going on in his head. As such it just seemed like gratuitous smut.

3. Nothing really unique in the escalation of action. When Hans Gruber fell to his death that was something special the movie reserved just for him. But sending Mama off into a freefall? The fifth time we'd seen that happen in the movie. But she was under the effects of "slo-mo" so it took forever for her. So, that's exactly what happened to the three guys at the beginning and they were skinned alive first! All Dredd did was shoot people or throw them off the building (or both as with the guy that was set on fire and THEN went over the side) and finally he gets to Mama and what does he do? Throws her off the building. :cool:

Urban was such a badass and I really did love both his performance and his chemistry with Anderson but it just seemed to be lacking in some really crucial areas to make it a truly worthy entry into this genre of films.

Apparently, we don't need much elaboration on his character, as you walked away feeling that Urban as Dredd was a "badass"...which was how we were supposed to feel about him.

I think you are over thinking this a bit much. But I felt they established his reputation enough in the film. He's more than capable of dealing with the guys in the van on his own. He is very effective in his position as Judge that his superior asks him train and evaluate the rookie. Also the bad judges do get to ask for a million to kill him...because of who he is. That was more than enough for me to understand that you don't mess with him. He is the law and takes his position very seriously. Considering the high crime rates and destitution of the city - you know any judge has to be tough...especially if he is honest and not corrupt.

Could another Judge have done what he did? I don't know. Doesn't really matter to me.

As for the mind rape scene - she didn't seem all that bothered by it. It was when he told her that he had a real sick mind and you saw her seeing something else...with this look of fear on her face...that she then hits him. What exactly that was though...they never show. If this was a rape scene that went on for minutes...I might think it was gratuitous..but it only lasted for a few seconds. Considering the type of guy the villain was...and that he was being restrained by a female Judge...it didn't shock or surprise me that he would have those types of thoughts to try and shock or scare her.

Because MaMa had that signal receiver thing attached to her wrist - in order for him to kill her (which you knew he HAD to do) and to not risk blowing up the whole building, he had to find a way to kill her where when her pulse stopped she would be far enough from the bomb detonators that it wouldn't receive the signal. I thought giving her slo-mo and throwing her over the ledge, was poetic justice. What a horrible way to die...let her get a taste of her own medicine.

What else is Dredd supposed to do to kill people? He's in a building...not a lot of options but to shoot them or throw them over the ledges. He's not a torturer or trying find new creative ways to kill people. He gets the job done and does it effectively.

Back