Judge Dredd.....again!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Green Light for New Judge Dredd Movie
Source:2000ADOnline.com
December 20, 2008

Rebellion and 2000 AD have announced that a new Judge Dredd movie is in development.

Together with DNA Films, the movie production company behind such films as Danny Boyle's Sunshine and 28 Weeks Later, Judge Dredd will go into production in 2009.

Jason Kingsley, CEO and Creative Director said, "We can't give away too many details at this point, but we're looking forward
to working with DNA Films to bring Judge Dredd back to the big screen."

Great, let's hope that this is closer to the comics and that Stallone is nowhere near this one. It would be better to have a completely CGI character for this rather than an exisiting actor. ) in my opinion anyway. If I were to use an exisiting actor it would have been a younger Clint Eastwood .

God, I'll be glad when this comic book fad runs it's course. It was cool to see one once in a while, but now they're just vomiting up anything and everything comic book based onto the big screen.

I'd rather have unique comic films, then some more ____Movies. Theres very little original ideas left. Might as well turn to something that has.

I have to agree. Comic Books and Graphic Novels are modern mythology and there isn't anything wrong with interpreting them into a visual medium. Before this Hollywood's ideas for the big screen were simply to remake films already done or attempt TV show big screen leaps. This much better IMHO especially when you think that the edgy companies will start really going deep into the medium for good stories and the trend to bring as close to the source material on screen as possible.

Dredd is too one-dimensional to make a good movie about. They tried to give him more depth in the Stallone film and it just didn't work.

Dredd is too one-dimensional to make a good movie about. They tried to give him more depth in the Stallone film and it just didn't work.

I think it can work. Sure he's a static character but so is Dirty Harry or Rorschach from Watchmen or Marv from Sin City or lots of classic action film bad asses. There is a power to that uncompromising, skull cracking man in a corrupt world, someone who sees only black and white, right and wrong. With such a character you can really examine the gray areas of morality and justice. The trick is to have an interesting enough story and secondary characters going on around him that test how uncompromising he really is, to demonstrate what he is willing to sacrifice for that unwillingness to compromise. Dredd must be brutal. If they go over the top and turn him into a joke, blowing up cars for overdue parking tickets, rather than someone we root for and are shocked by, it will bomb once again.

And dear god, no wacky comic relief sidekick.

I liked it, I don't understand all the hate. Sure, Schneider was a bit much, I really enjoyed the rest.

Back