Judge Dredd movie (2012)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Judge Dredd movie

Yeah, but where else are you gonna find a psychic rape scene? Who says this movie ain't original!

khev.jpg

:wave

I'm totally going to post that whenever I have to close a thread or edit someone's post from here on out. :lol

You'll be complaining about that for not being what you wanted.

Dredd isn't mindless.. It's simple. It has ONE goal. ONE location. It doesn't meander, it stays on track for 90 minutes. And that's what makes it so incredibly refreshing.

Look at Dark Knight Rises. That movie has 10 sub plots going on at the same time, cutting back and forth, jumping all over the goddamn place, and thus lessing the overall point.
Now...that's not a knock on the film. It's fine. But there's something so great about watching a simple film. Not a stupid film. But a simple one.

Some of the greatest films ever, have very simple plots.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's great for the short attention span kids ^^^

This is one of those posts that hopefully you'll be able to look back on one day and feel a little embarrassed about. Anderson is not the main character of DREDD. Dredd is the main character of DREDD. Just throwing that out there since there seems to be a little confusion on your part. Anderson is the relatable character. Doesn't make the movie about her (just like Conan the Barbarian isn't about Subodai or the Chinese wizard simply because they "emote" in the place of the hero.) Dredd's partner teaches him the value of empathy and solving crimes through non-violent means...in the context of a completely mindless action flick. :lol

I'm guessing you walked out of the theater for the first time with a new sense of hope. Because if a Judge, a DREDD, can learn the value of human empathy, maybe we can too.... duh nuh nuh, nuh nuh nuh...

He can't even understand a "simple" movie as he puts it :lol

I guess I'll look back, and say anyone who doesn't like Dredd is terrible. Oh well.

Anderson is still the main character.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's great for the short attention span kids ^^^

He can't even understand a "simple" movie as he puts it :lol

It is simple. All that stuff is on the surface.

It stays on track the entire time, and never deviates for some pathetic subplot.

Last edited:

I loved the cinematic style of this movie. Much the same way as I felt about 300. It was stylish and fun to watch. The movie moved at a good pace and there were never any lulls where I felt bored or that certain scenes could have been taken out. I thought the whole thing worked very well. Is it a cinema masterpiece - no. But it's damn entertaining for a pure action movie.

I liked it, and now I know why....because I've seen it already!
So, was Dredd a remake of New Jack City? I felt like I was watching the same movie, only with more white people :dunno

Someone owes Mario Van Peebles a check.

1066323.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RBYqGSb_70&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited:

Sorry, I was being a terrible "argumentor".

I ran out of time to actually debate. So now. Let us commence the battle.

uwe.gif

A friend of mine has a friend who screens movies for the Seattle area and then decides which theater (if any) they will show in. I had asked about Dredd and this was the response I got.

It was the worst
grossing movie to play on the national release in the theaters I program for
all of 2012! Dark and violent and releasing in September (9/21) it just
never found its audience. By the time a movie opens, the studio (in this
case Lionsgate) already has a good idea of how it will do. If revenues are
projected to be modest, or if the opening weekend numbers are bad, the
advertising can be pulled in an effort to save money. So in
most theaters it opened and was gone after two weeks. There was just no
money there. Also, after the 7/20 shooting at the Aurora Colorado movie
theater, films which might tend to draw a more edgy crowd had a harder time.
I checked on IMDB and the film cost 50 million to make and did 37 million
worldwide! I've seen this before that when a movie does modest business in
theaters, it can have an entirely different experience on DVD etc. either
because people did not have enough time to see it, they would not spend the
money to see it in a theater or they heard or read things that made them
want to see it after it disappeared from movie screens.

A drug dealer takes over a residential zone. Doesn't need to be a remake of anything, it's a good enough premise as any to start from.

Haters need to back off, it was a fun movie! Mindless as it is, crazy shootouts and gruesome killings is grand cinematic tradition. :lecture

Star Trek Nemesis.

As it turns out Troy was begging for it already:

[ame]https://youtu.be/EHVI4UHSm1U[/ame]

A friend of mine has a friend who screens movies for the Seattle area and then decides which theater (if any) they will show in. I had asked about Dredd and this was the response I got.

It was the worst
grossing movie to play on the national release in the theaters I program for
all of 2012! Dark and violent and releasing in September (9/21) it just
never found its audience. By the time a movie opens, the studio (in this
case Lionsgate) already has a good idea of how it will do. If revenues are
projected to be modest, or if the opening weekend numbers are bad, the
advertising can be pulled in an effort to save money. So in
most theaters it opened and was gone after two weeks. There was just no
money there. Also, after the 7/20 shooting at the Aurora Colorado movie
theater, films which might tend to draw a more edgy crowd had a harder time.
I checked on IMDB and the film cost 50 million to make and did 37 million
worldwide! I've seen this before that when a movie does modest business in
theaters, it can have an entirely different experience on DVD etc. either
because people did not have enough time to see it, they would not spend the
money to see it in a theater or they heard or read things that made them
want to see it after it disappeared from movie screens.

What about the fact it was only available in 3D? Did they ever address that?

Haters need to back off, it was a fun movie! Mindless as it is, crazy shootouts and gruesome killings is grand cinematic tradition. :lecture

I already said if that's your thing the movie did it well. Just don't pretend (as apparently only one person has) that it WASN'T mindless. :lol

People here just really oversold it. If I had stumbled upon this movie without all the praise I might have appreciated its hard hitting intensity more. But when people started heralding it as the best comic book movie of the year and then it turns out to just be one long action sequence and nothing else um yeah, no not quite. ;)

Yep. Quite yes.

Your problem with the movie has nothing to do with the movie. You just said so.

We saw it when it came out. We enjoyed it when it came out. We got the surprise of the year. You came late to the party with unrealistic expectations.

I'm just shocked, and I hate doing this do everyone aside from 2 people, but i'm shocked you find Sucker Punch so great, even though it's an overly convoluted, pretentious mess of a film that while I do not hate, I can't help but get frustrated with when it ultimately means nothing....yet...you dismiss Dredd as mindless, with nothing going on.....what?

That just doesn't make any sense. But hey. If you want to hate on Dredd, go for it. I'm just glad most people can recognize how great the film is.

I would have enjoyed Dredd more had it not been oversold, correct. But then I would have still come here and seen people singing its praises as if it was anything more than it was and we'd been right where we are now.

And Sucker Punch didn't feature the girls doing nothing but fighting their way through the dragon's castle for the entire film. If it did then yes, I'd be less impressed with that one too.

Then that is your problem.

I used to have that issue too. Then I stopped watching films with massive praise ringing in the back of my head. People say a movie is good, I get interested.

People are selling End of Watch like it's the best film of the year. And it could be. But i'm not going to watch it with that mentality.

I'm going to watch it like I watch every film. I'll let the film dictate what it is.

You appear to be misunderstanding, but then again you still haven't figured out who the main character is in this movie you allegedly hold in such high regard. ;)

I'm not shocked that Dredd wasn't the best comic book movie of the year and am therefore "hating" it. I'm shocked that it offers very little in the way of cinematic art or storytelling AT ALL and yet is being given such high praise. Its the ultimate one trick pony, and its "one trick" isn't that great.

It'd be one thing if the action was on the level of Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow 2. Even the minigun sequence was all stuff we'd seen a million times, even in comedies. It had a couple standout moments of truly genuine coolness and a hell of a lot of sweet slow-motion close-ups. And???? Yeah not much.

You seem to think the story was about Dredd. :lol

The action was well shot. Clear. And brutal. It wasn't over stylized. It wasn't overly flashy. It was gritty. And better then any other action movie that's come out in a long time.

This film captured the 80's, 70's spirit better then any other 80's nostalgia fest.

Back