Jason Reitman's GHOSTBUSTERS: Afterlife - March 2021

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jason Reitman's GHOSTBUSTERS: Afterlife - Summer 2020

It does not matter how many people saw it. If the media said its fake, millions get that info.

Maybe that's why the kids seem to live out in the boonies. Maybe information hasn't made it to their world? Or they just don't believe anything the liberal media says.

Regarding a massive disastrous event in the heart of NY that is covered by all media: I wonder if there's anyone here that believes 911 never happened and that there never was any World Trade Center?

Maybe that's why the kids seem to live out in the boonies. Maybe information hasn't made it to their world? Or they just don't believe anything the liberal media says.

Regarding a massive disastrous event in the heart of NY that is covered by all media: I wonder if there's anyone here that believes 911 never happened and that there never was any World Trade Center?

Or that it was a US government conspiracy and not an attack carried out by citizens of our supposed allies with the aim of bolster support for a war in a country that was oil rich?

Nah , no one would believe either of those.

There unfortunately are alot of conspiracy theories about 9/11, some even more crazy than others, with support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cue the X-Files music:

giphy.gif

Thousands of people have shared memories of Berenstain Bears being Berenstein Bears even though every piece of merchandise says otherwise. Some of those people would probably fight you to the death for disagreeing with them. People also LOVE conspiracy theories, and would probably say Stay Puft/Lady Liberty was fake, just because it's contrary to the popular opinion.

That was literally the whole set-up for GB2. Peck was able to convince a huge portion of New York, including city officials, that the guys were seeding hallucinatory gasses to make people think they saw ghosts, and the containment failure caused the mass hallucination of Stay Puft. That, coupled with the sharp drop in ghost activity due to deafeat of Gozer, probably seemed like an easy buy for a lot of people.

Also, don't forget how people treat heroes. Whenever someone does something heroic or selfless, there are always people waiting in the wings to tear them down. Just look at all the people who do something courageous, receive a bit of time in the spotlight and soon find people running a microscope through their past to find a reason said person shouldn't be praised for their actions. "Yeah, he saved a family from a burning building, but did you know he has prior DUI convictions and an estranged daughter. Guy's a piece of crap."

Ah ok, I get you issue.

Well, to me, for the first hand experience, most of those people would believe, some would believe they were given a poisonous hallucinogen. Peck says this is GB.

Then people who got the info as second hand would be more likely NOT to believe such a story. Even from a trusted friend of family member.

Tertiary info would mostly be people not believing, as its just not plausible to someone at that level of involvement. Most of these would be people who got the story from the media.

I mean, do you believe all the ghost hunter stuff you see on TV?

Beyond this GB discussion, I find it fascinating how people see the world.:lol I can see how post-modernism has gained so much momentum today.

And to be clear, while GB is a classic I adore, GB2 is often a cringeworthy mess that teeters on the edge disaster its entire running time (even if a few fun sequences here and there come close to making it watchable.) It's also non-sensical, even within a world of ghosts, moving slime and proton packs. So it's hard to hold that up as an example of logic - because it makes no sense there either (and to GB2's credit, the movie seems aware of that,) even in a GB world.

And this 1984 event doesn't have the political impetus something like 9/11 does - where people choose conspiracy theory because it supports their world view of government, religion, corporate/military etc. This event... was a bunch of ghosts attacking NYC and it was saved by a small group of misfits. Not sure how that can be spun into the military industrial complex.:dunno:lol

Reading these comments does get kind of disturbing in a way - because you can see how the human mind is willing/primed to believe almost anything, even in the face of overwhelming evidence/facts to the contrary. That belief is far more powerful than facts - maybe that's where the "alternative facts" thing comes in. It is kind of scary to think how we'll view "history" in coming decades.

But none of them deny the existence of the towers or the planes that hit them.

This is where people are getting muddled. While there are small numbers people in our reality who literally believe in fairies - and therefore small number of nutters who believe the WTC buildings and the planes never existed - in this GB trailer it appears that many/most believe the events in 1984 simply didn't happen, or even more absurdly, have forgotten.

I mean you can go to buildings in London and still see chips on masonry from the blitz (the same way people in GB Afterlife could go to NYC and see chips out of buildings caused by Stay Puft 35 years earlier) but I'm sure there are some people out there who believe the blitz - and maybe even WWII - never happened. Propaganda designed to make people hate Germans or Japanese people.

Reading these comments does get kind of disturbing in a way - because you can see how the human mind is willing/primed to believe almost anything, even in the face of overwhelming evidence/facts to the contrary. That belief is far more powerful than facts - maybe that's where the "alternative facts" thing comes in. It is kind of scary to think how we'll view "history" in coming decades.

It will go something like... "No really, the Holocaust and 9/11 attacks were real things that actually happened" response... "Yeah OK boomer"

It will go something like... "No really, the Holocaust and 9/11 attacks were real things that actually happened" response... "Yeah OK boomer"

:goodpost::lol

My kids use that one on me and I'm like "**** you, I'm Gen X...":lecture I think to people 20 and under, anyone older than 25 is a "boomer."

But yeah - I do think that "ok boomer" has become the retort to any recitation of facts, history or logic. It's the ultimate post-modernist comeback.

But none of them deny the existence of the towers or the planes that hit them.

Actually some do deny the airplanes were real.

:goodpost::lol

My kids use that one on me and I'm like "**** you, I'm Gen X...":lecture I think to people 20 and under, anyone older than 25 is a "boomer."

But yeah - I do think that "ok boomer" has become the retort to any recitation of facts, history or logic. It's the ultimate post-modernist comeback.

Yeah, I think it’s now basically the “whatever” retort to any sort of presentation of facts, history, or logic that they feel conflicts with their feelings and is made by someone who’s older than them, regardless if that person is actually a baby boomer or not. Millennials probably say “ok boomer” to Gen X, and I’ll bet Gen Z probably says “ok boomer” to Millennials. :lol

Most young people these days think that “boomer” simply equals anyone older than me and don’t know that it’s actually short for baby boomer, which is a generation. I’d be willing to bet a lot of Gen Z kids don’t even know the name of their own generation.

To be fair 'Millenial' was getting thrown around quite a lot for a time there in a 'pat on the head' kind of way so it doesn't surprise me if there's some retaliation going on.

The trailer was great but, I wish this centered around the adults instead. Centering around kids is fine as long as it's more like Stranger Things and less like Goosebumps. I hope they don't cheapen the ghosts and make them kid friendly, that was the worst part of GB2.

Just saw the German trailer, did they not watch Ghostbusters? Those Proton Packs would be far too heavy for a little 12 yo girl to carry around on her back.

Last edited:

Oh Hollywood. Trying to get me to bite on your nostalgia again. I've learned to pass on you're sinister ways!

Beyond this GB discussion, I find it fascinating how people see the world.:lol

To be fair, I don't see the world that way. I just know there are a lot of people out there that can and do.

Alice, you really need to stop travels in such circles. And get off Reddit for God's sake.

Honestly, I'm sorry I even know these kinds of people exist. The whole hologram thing is straight out of Tommyknockers. In short, there are people out there whose day-to-day mental operating capacity is on the same level as Stephen King when he's coked out of his mind, writing fiction novels about aliens.

For the record, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I've studied psychology, and I find the more extreme ones fascinating. Heck, my wife believes in ghosts, and she constantly gives me crap for not believing in them when I love Ghostbusters so much.

"ok boomer" has become the retort to any recitation of facts, history or logic. It's the ultimate post-modernist comeback.

Yeah, it's just the newest empty insult. People that have no real argument just resort to boomer, because it's gets a rise out of people the same way nazi and cu*k do/did, even when those words don't really apply to the person you're talking to. I'm 35, so technically on the far end of millennial, but the word doesn't bother me, because I'm not really an "active participant" in that group. And seeing as how I've basically been Walt Kowalski for at least 20 years now, I'm much more susceptible to being called a boomer. If the shoe fits.

To be fair, I don't see the world that way. I just know there are a lot of people out there that can and do.

Honestly, I'm sorry I even know these kinds of people exist. The whole hologram thing is straight out of Tommyknockers. In short, there are people out there whose day-to-day mental operating capacity is on the same level as Stephen King when he's coked out of his mind, writing fiction novels about aliens.

For the record, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I've studied psychology, and I find the more extreme ones fascinating. Heck, my wife believes in ghosts, and she constantly gives me crap for not believing in them when I love Ghostbusters so much.

Yeah, it's just the newest empty insult. People that have no real argument just resort to boomer, because it's gets a rise out of people the same way nazi and cu*k do/did, even when those words don't really apply to the person you're talking to. I'm 35, so technically on the far end of millennial, but the word doesn't bother me, because I'm not really an "active participant" in that group. And seeing as how I've basically been Walt Kowalski for at least 20 years now, I'm much more susceptible to being called a boomer. If the shoe fits.

The best comeback to my teens saying "ok boomer" to me is a version of (with lots of quaking voice):

3bzy3b.gif

Or “sit down, zoomer.” Something that ends in zoomer at least.

I've studied psychology, and I find the more extreme ones fascinating.

It is fascinating... but also really scary. I don't know where these people come from sometimes, and I wonder what happened to them to believe in such nonsense.

It is fascinating... but also really scary. I don't know where these people come from sometimes, and I wonder what happened to them to believe in such nonsense.

I get to see and hear this stuff daily in my profession. Everything from mis informed to complete detachment from reality.

Most of it is simple ignorance, fostered by believing whatever a person hears from a trusted source, and lack of actual fact finding through research and reading reputable sources.

Back