J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Reman Warbird actually looked like a ship, this Narada looks like a porcupine or some giant bug...still, this movie looks amazing.

That's actually a large part of the appeal for me. Since it's a hybrid of Romulan and Borg (and apparently Klingon) technology, going on the Borg tech it's extremely organic. It reminds me of an almost reptilian Portuguese Man o' War cross in many wars. Very fluid, stream-lined, yet consuming. The type of thing that could sweep any area it inhabits clean of life. Liking it a lot. :naughty

What is the name of the track they keep playing with the trailers? Anyone know?

"War Begins" by Brian Tyler is one, and in the most recent trailer it's "Freedom Fighters" by Two Steps from Hell. :rock

War Begins is the one I was looking for and let me take a second to just rant about how much I ^^^^ing hate when you hear stuff associated to a movie that is never actually in the movie or even part of the soundtrack. Hollywood does this time and time again where they have something pithy or something really awesome that encapulates the entire film for the viewers and you never hear it in the actual film. Then you buy the soundtrack and look for the listing and nowhere to be found and on top of it you have to searching for this particular sound with no indications anywhere and you pray to God someone has heard it and that someone can name it and most of the time you get the ol' Oh I know that but I don't know the name. Search and search each time on the TV its teasing you because someone who cut together the ^^^^ing thing thought "hey I remember this one snippet from an album back in 200 - ^^^^ing - 3 and I'll just slap that in there" making it damn near impossible to find and all you have is that ^^^^ing tune over and over stuck in your head because its destroying your cerabellum with each note because you can't stand the fact its going on over and over.

That being said, I found it. Brian Tyler, Children of Dune. Thanks.

War Begins is the one I was looking for and let me take a second to just rant about how much I ^^^^ing hate when you hear stuff associated to a movie that is never actually in the movie or even part of the soundtrack. Hollywood does this time and time again where they have something pithy or something really awesome that encapulates the entire film for the viewers and you never hear it in the actual film. Then you buy the soundtrack and look for the listing and nowhere to be found and on top of it you have to searching for this particular sound with no indications anywhere and you pray to God someone has heard it and that someone can name it and most of the time you get the ol' Oh I know that but I don't know the name. Search and search each time on the TV its teasing you because someone who cut together the ^^^^ing thing thought "hey I remember this one snippet from an album back in 200 - ^^^^ing - 3 and I'll just slap that in there" making it damn near impossible to find and all you have is that ^^^^ing tune over and over stuck in your head because its destroying your cerabellum with each note because you can't stand the fact its going on over and over.

Adtunes forum and torrents are your friends. Not that I'm advocating that sort of thing. ;)

Got ya.

palin-wink.jpg

War Begins is the one I was looking for and let me take a second to just rant about how much I ^^^^ing hate when you hear stuff associated to a movie that is never actually in the movie or even part of the soundtrack. Hollywood does this time and time again where they have something pithy or something really awesome that encapulates the entire film for the viewers and you never hear it in the actual film.

yeah i too really hate it when they do that. music is such an integral part of the cinematic experience. when they don't give u what u liked in the trailer, it's almost like they're cheating u.

on a separate note, has anyone here read the comic prequel to star trek called "countdown" ?

i saw a few pages posted on aintitcool. it looked pretty interesting. it even had the next generation crew in it, like data!

wondering if i should get it before i watch the movie...

The Teaser for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull made me hunt down Children of Dune, which is an awesome soundtrack. Sometimes it's good that a trailer brings to your attention something you might not have heard before

on a separate note, has anyone here read the comic prequel to star trek called "countdown" ?

i saw a few pages posted on aintitcool. it looked pretty interesting. it even had the next generation crew in it, like data!

wondering if i should get it before i watch the movie...

Yep, snagged them myself a week or so ago. You can download them easily enough if you can't get to a comic book store. Highly recommend reading them before the movie. Just seems to provide a lot of depth and insight into some of the characters (mainly Spock and Nero) and their motivations.

The Teaser for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull made me hunt down Children of Dune, which is an awesome soundtrack. Sometimes it's good that a trailer brings to your attention something you might not have heard before

That's how I feel. Over the years I've managed to track down a lot of awesome songs simply because they've been featured in trailers. When you can't find them it's incredibly frustrating, but it's quite rewarding when you can.

Where can you download those Star Trek Countdown comics? I want to read them before the movie comes out. But I don't have the money right now to buy them. :eek:

Please post a link here for them Scar. Thanks! :D

There are websites that focus on finding out the music in trailers, but if the music isn't from another movie or some regular album music then it's by either X-Ray Dog, Immediate Music, or Two Steps From Hell.

Where can you download those Star Trek Countdown comics? I want to read them before the movie comes out. But I don't have the money right now to buy them. :eek:

You can always do what I did. Go up to your local Barnes and Noble and read the trade paperback in one of those comfy store-provided chairs. :D

Never been a big ST fan outside of casually enjoying a couple of episodes of TOS and TNG, but in preparation for the new film, I bought THE MOTION PICTURE and ST VI on DVD (Already a huge movie geek and a fan of Star Wars, Bond, monsters and comics, I felt like I had finally hit that geek rock bottom when I approached the cash register.) I have only previously seen TWOK and GENERATIONS, and it was my first time watching TMP (haven't watched VI yet.)

My God, TMP was BORING AS ^^^^ ! Yes, I had read the reviews, and thought I knew what to expect, it just dragged beyond belief. It's like they took a decent idea for a forty minute episode and literally filmed it as a dragged out two and a half hour movie. However, the message was kind of interesting (though I finished watching the film having no idea WTF just happened,) the sets, EFX and art design were phenomenal, and IMO the score by Jerry Goldsmith is one of the best scores in movie history. Between dozing in and out of the movie, I figured it works best as an epic music video to Goldsmith's score. And this was the supposed "Director's Edition". I HATE to see what the theatrical cut is like. Now I know why everyone loves TWOK (which I initially found confusing and overated.) I certainly hope ST VI is better.

I also figured I could never be a huge Trekkie: While there is certainly enough for me to like in the vast franchise, it is far too cold and technical for me to love. I've come to the generalized conclusion that Star Wars is for literary and mythological geeks while Star Trek is for the math and science nerds. Certainly nothing wrong with either.

I'm kind of the same way, I had seen all the old Star Trek movies a long time ago and when I watched the first one earlier this year it was much more boring than I had remembered.

But I think that as far as differences between Star Trek and Star Wars, Star Wars to me feels more personal (right and wrong, father and son, love) while Star Trek deals with more universal issues.

Yeah, that's a good idea too. But my nearest Barnes And Noble or Books A Million are about an hour away. :eek:

I've noticed something in the marketing on the movie posters for this new movie. Where's Dr. McCoy? The Star Trek "trinity" or trio, USED to be Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Now it seems to be Kirk, Spock...and...Uhura? I'd rather see the three guys on the poster. I bought the international style with Kirk, Spock and Uhura on it. I miss not seeing McCoy on it.

I've been a HUGE Star Trek fan since first seeing re-runs of the original series back in 1975. It was the first TV show I remember seeing as a child. So, I've followed Star Trek faithfully as a die-hard "Trekker" or "Trekkie" since then. Through the good (Star Trek II...GREAT actually!), and the bad (Star Trek V...sorry Mr. Shatner...it was BAD!). I am looking forward to this new movie, and I've already bought my IMAX ticket for the first showing at 7:00pm on May 7! I can't wait to see it in IMAX!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a good idea too. But my nearest Barnes And Noble or Books A Million are about an hour away. :eek:

I've noticed something in the marketing on the movie posters for this new movie. Where's Dr. McCoy? The Star Trek "trinity" or trio, USED to be Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Now it seems to be Kirk, Spock...and...Uhura? I'd rather see the three guys on the poster. I bought the international style with Kirk, Spock and Uhura on it. I miss not seeing McCoy on it.

I've been a HUGE Star Trek fan since first seeing re-runs of the original series back in 1975. It was the first TV show I remember seeing as a child. So, I've followed Star Trek faithfully as a die-hard "Trekker" or "Trekkie" since then. Through the good (Star Trek II...GREAT actually!), and the bad (Star Trek V...sorry Mr. Shatner...it was BAD!). I am looking forward to this new movie, and I've already bought my IMAX ticket for the first showing at 7:00pm on May 7! I can't wait to see it in IMAX!

Nowadays you gotta have the sexy chick in there too.

You can download them on itunes, or if you download torrents...
https://isohunt.com/torrent_details/74218933/star+trek+countdown?tab=summary
... again, not that I'm advocating that sort of thing...

There are websites that focus on finding out the music in trailers, but if the music isn't from another movie or some regular album music then it's by either X-Ray Dog, Immediate Music, or Two Steps From Hell.
Two steps from hell is highly underrated, and their music is damn hard to find. Good stuff all the same.

Thanks Scar. Being the Star Trek collector that I am, I'm likely to buy all four issues of Star Trek Countdown. I honestly still enjoy having the book in my hands. :D

a lot of people say the movies have the odd number curse.
Here is what I think of all the movies so far
1= Bad
2= Awesome
3= Good. Yes I like this one, I don't know why people dislike it?
4= Really Good and funny too
5= So Awful it hurt my eyes
6= Very Good but still not as good as 2
7 Generations= Good. I really enjoyed this movie
8 First contact= Really Good
9 = Boring
10= Disapointing, and not very good
So as this movie is 11 and going by word of mouth the film is ment to be awesome, the curse has been broken. I never agreed with the curse but this is good news.

Back