It's official: Duke Nukem Forever, coming 2010

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ra88

Super Freak
Reaction score
2K Games has made it official. Duke Nukem Forever is alive and, well, in the hands of developer Gearbox Software, confirming our earlier reports that the Borderlands studio was helping to complete the game's absurdly long development cycle.

The publisher announced this morning in advance of PAX 2010 that Gearbox Software was on the job, picking up where developer 3D Realms left off. Gearbox plans to ship the game within the next year, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal—the WSJ says DNF is due "next year" and "currently expected to ship in 2010."

Given Duke Nukem Forever's epic development—it was first announced in 1997 as a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D—it might be wise to hedge on the later of those two release windows.

Gearbox and 2K will be showcasing the game to press and the public at this weekend's PAX convention. 2K Games is offering a publicly playable demo of Duke Nukem Forever at its booth.

After more than a decade in development, Duke Nukem Forever all but ended its production after the collapse of studio 3D Realms. Gearbox Software president Randy Pitchford tells the WSJ that his studio picked up development in late 2009 and that the game is currently in the "polishing" stages.

https://kotaku.com/5628894/its-official-duke-nukem-forever-coming-from-gearbox-software

:horror:horror:horror:horror:horror

They're showing people playing the game at the booth.

The booth must be right next to the unicorn rides.

xfilesbelieve1.jpg

Who cares?

I did back in 1998. This game is going to have very low sales because:
1. People that did care no longer do and
2. The game's main selling point (profanity, violence, nudity) is no longer taboo, especially in video games and
3. There are too many FPS' that are the staple for the genre that people will not sacrifice for this relic.

Well, maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I'm actually pretty excited about this. I spent countless hours playing Duke Nukem 3D co-op with a buddy of mine back in high school. My parents were always annoyed that I tied up our phone line with the modem...

Besides, this is being developed by Gearbox. Borderlands was awesome, so maybe Duke has a chance. In the end, this game will sell at least two copies: one for me and one for my old co-op buddy. :lol

I loved Duke Nukem 64 so depending on reviews I may pick this up if not I'll wait till it drops to $19.99. Either way I can't wait to "kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum".

How are they going to make Duke relevant in these modern days? He was such a joke, parody character that only worked back in the early 90's, and he's been absent for the better part of 15 years and now he's back unchanged.

Tough sell. I'm not 10 years old anymore.

I dunno, maybe if it's a fun fps game? There was a lot more to Duke Nukem 3D than being a "joke/parody character".

I love how people bring up that Duke isn't relevant anymore (and that they're "more mature").

A lot of this coming from people who play games like Call of Duty, Halo or Gears of War. Testosterone filled games with "serious" muscle bound (or armor bound) heroes. :lol

Oh! But they have SERIOUS EPIC STORIES!!!! :rotfl

I play those games too, but...

What I'm saying is that DNF is on track for a release and it's no doubt going to do damn well.

Hail to The King, Baby :cool:

I dunno, maybe if it's a fun fps game? There was a lot more to Duke Nukem 3D than being a "joke/parody character".

I love how people bring up that Duke isn't relevant anymore (and that they're "more mature").

A lot of this coming from people who play games like Call of Duty, Halo or Gears of War. Testosterone filled games with "serious" muscle bound (or armor bound) heroes. :lol

Oh! But they have SERIOUS EPIC STORIES!!!! :rotfl

I play those games too, but...

What I'm saying is that DNF is on track for a release and it's no doubt going to do damn well.

Hail to The King, Baby :cool:

How many times have they said that?:dunno

Back