1/6 Iron Man 2-1/6th scale Whiplash Collectible Figure - Toy Fair Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don?t think there?s a legal issue with orange in general for a team/race unit suit, but if that specific team (or sponsor)from the film had issue or needed to be licensed or couldn’t be licensed perhaps that’s why

6C82CD22-D0FE-44C9-91AB-42AC4C243F85.jpeg

I dunno man, when you look at the stark contrast between proto and final production, there is more going on than simply a minor loss in detail. These are pretty much 2 completely different headsculpts. Let the pictures illustrate what I'm talking about! This is inexcusable! I have zero experience in terms of their manufacturing process too, but I can tell you what this is...it's a damn SCAM!!! Like c'mon, look at the final production sculpt...it looks like what a bootleg/unlicensed company would produce. You're telling me both headsculpts are from the SAME company??? Unbelievable! :slap

View attachment 489219

I've always called HT out on this BS tactic, it's bait and switch, pure and simple! There's no other way to describe it...other than calling it a con job. You can't show off something super duper polished and then present it later on with a bunch of lost details. Honestly, if we see the next BP figure with this first headsculpt, then this will be definitive proof of what you're suggesting here.

Ouch! I thought Black Panther was a really bad movie, so I had zero interest in the characters. Had about this "470-gate" but ouch! I mean, there is always a slight difference from the proto to the real. That is why so many wait and see. And those with no patience come in here and tell everyone else "it's not that bad" cause they bought and paid for it and don't wanna look like chumps. Hot Toys is the best 1/6 out there. But they make mistakes and I think it is very important, since they refuse to interact, that they are called out when they deliver something sub-standard. Personally, I don't think the Hawk-eye was that bad. It was okay. 250+ US dollars okay? The Jawa and the Gonk was a serious mess. Krennic was amazing. They do deliver, but sometimes they try to cut a corner and when they do, it is very important we tell them. I want then to keep doing their frigging best. I know they can, they are amazing when they don't cut corners.

if that specific team (or sponsor)from the film had issue or needed to be licensed or couldn?t be licensed perhaps that?s why

It is, this is not really a mystery. The ACM Marshals and their orange suits have been a famous part of the Monaco Grand Prix for 45 years. Even dropping the clear labels on the suit would still very likely risk legal trouble as the bright orange is a well known part of the Marshals look, especially recognizable when clearly referencing a single specific movie scene wherein Ivan literally dresses as a Marshal. They would need to have permission and properly license it to use a design that even resembles the look.

Hot Toys famously does not pursue secondary licenses like this when they don't need to (Starlord's Walkman, Miles' Nikes, etc), and why would they want to potentially pay a fee for every figure they sell beyond what they already owe Marvel, when the only people who would care are also the sort of people who would just fix it themselves. Considering every other toy side-stepped the same issue would also suggest the license terms were either very expensive or perhaps not even offered at all.

The suits were specific to the Automobile Club of Monaco Marshals IRL, the design is trademarked and would have to be licensed. Its is likely specific enough that a look alike would be considered legally too similar because of the color (like UPS's specific color brown)

HQfUz9f.png

iZvo3bq.png

zYuvCXz.jpg

:exactly: it's been common knowledge for years. it doesn't bother me because it's an easy fix. Marvel and Disney got sued over the suitcase from the Avengers. People don't like companys making money off their design no matter what it is.

I never knew you could trademark a colour. HT should include some orange fabric dye in this set, that would be an easy way round it.
It's not just the color. HT has to get around the complete suit. If he had just broke out of jail and had a random orange jumpsuit on they could use it. It would be like trying to make a figure of someone that had a lakers uniform on in a movie scene but you did not have the license for the laker uniform. If it was yellow and purple you would be getting sued even without any other thing on it.

Okay, so HT basically has released diecast versions of all the armors in this film, including WM Mk I and Whiplash Mk II, and now they are redoing Whiplash. I would be really hard pressed if they don’t come up with a Black Widow 2.0 to complete the line.

So, is this a straight re-release or is it updated? I ask because figures were a lot smaller back then. I don't think you could really pose this with the newer ones if that sort of thing bothers you.

So, is this a straight re-release or is it updated? I ask because figures were a lot smaller back then. I don't think you could really pose this with the newer ones if that sort of thing bothers you.

The height difference would be much less than the new female figures

What really sucks is even though this is just a re-release with nothing new added, they are still going to charge way more than it's original cost back then. Which i think is crap. If they are just remaking the exact same figure: the same whips, the same clothes (no orange), the same sculpt, than it should cost the same as back then. They better have this thing turn out spot on likeness and quality too, if they do another black panther than that will be just plain despicable.

I am a big IM2 fan and i love whiplash/mickey rourke. Hope this turns out good at least. They should have at least included his Burd. :lol

I always thought they should change the color of the electricity effects to blue. In the movie its more whitish blue.

They could've added some environment pieces like when hes pinned and cuts the car in half, they could give us parts of the car. Or at least just bloodied him up a little.

I actually don't think this release means they will reissue a mark 5.
If you remeber back when Two-Face was announced he had the back of a batman figure (which in hindsight is just the DX 12 probably) in some of the promo shots just like the mark 5 with this figure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back