1/6 Iron Man 2-1/6th scale Whiplash Collectible Figure - Toy Fair Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my MCU collection is Phase One and I missed out on the original. If the price is right, I'm definitely in for this.

I saw someone posted on FB that the same happened last year. These 4 are pre-con exclusives. But actual con releases are still to come.

I believe that is not entirely correct/accurate. Just had a long convo about this with a HK collector actually. These are the usual 4 Toy Fair exclusives that get announced each year. There are also 6 more normal release figures rumored to be announced during the convention. At Secret Base, the ordering process/window and limited availability is the same for the TF figures and the figures announced during the actual con. For everyone in the states, those other 6 (if they happen) will just be normal releases without any special sort of *exclusive* designation. I mean, not that the TF exclusives are usually that exclusive or limited anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only other thing they revealed during con season last year was these, which are all basic releases.

They did the same thing the year before, reveal basic releases in that format making people think that they're special.
3e34039778fc3cf979efd92694c69808.jpg

Most of my MCU collection is Phase One and I missed out on the original. If the price is right, I'm definitely in for this.

I'm in the same boat. I started collecting with the Avengers Black Widow, so I missed this guy. Think as long as the price is not outrageous I'm in.

I believe that is not entirely correct/accurate. Just had a long convo about this with a HK collector actually. These are the usual 4 Toy Fair exclusives that get announced each year. There are also 6 more normal release figures rumored to be announced during the convention. At Secret Base, the ordering process/window and limited availability is the same for the TF figures and the figures announced during the actual con. For everyone in the states, those other 6 (if they happen) will just be normal releases without any special sort of *exclusive* designation. I mean, not that the TF exclusives are usually that exclusive or limited anyway.

Yeah I saw that FB post and the examples of the ?actual con exclusives? he listed were just the regular HT releases that were announced last year like the BD MK85, Iron Patriot and 1/4 Spidey.

It's just kind of a weird choice. Whiplash has almost no presence among the villains. The most I see him mentioned is when someone mocks the "I want my bird line." This is kind of underwhelming.

I doubt it was a mistake. Someone mentioned earlier that they couldn't make it orange for some kind of legal/license reason, which has been said about it for awhile. Though I'm not aware of the original source for that info.

I wasn't collecting MCU figures at the time but I could swear the first time they revealed him his jumpsuit was orange, then brown everytime after that. I'm probably wrong but I do remember having this same discussion years ago.

I doubt it was a mistake. Someone mentioned earlier that they couldn't make it orange for some kind of legal/license reason, which has been said about it for awhile. Though I'm not aware of the original source for that info.

Does not make sense that a ripped jumpsuit would have legal reasons that preclude it from being orange. I mean, come on.

HT has Mickey Rourke likeness, the Marvel Whiplash character, every detail from the movie... but the suit color is protected by law.

:lol

Its like a bad conspiracy theory that somehow people have adopted.

Much more likely that HT just didn't think to revisit the movie/source and just banged out a re-release without much thought.

Believe what you want. The jumpsuit is obviously orange in the movie, it's not even up for debate, nor could anyone who isn't color blind mistake it... They could have changed it but didn't.

If you really think they don't know it was orange by now you're just being naive. There is obviously a reason they didn't make it orange besides them messing up especially since they did it again 10 years later. I guarantee you it wasn't an oversight or mistake.

This is what Hot Toys listed in the product description:

**According to Marvel, there are legal implications regarding the orange-color of the pants as shown in the movie. Therefore, the pants’ color in merchandise would vary from that in the movie and would be tuned to brown color accordingly

So not a conspiracy theory since this is an official statement from Hot Toys.

There is obviously a reason they didn't make it orange ...

Yeah, the brown material was cheaper to buy.

This is what Hot Toys listed in the product description:

**According to Marvel, there are legal implications regarding the orange-color of the pants as shown in the movie. Therefore, the pants’ color in merchandise would vary from that in the movie and would be tuned to brown color accordingly

So not a conspiracy theory since this is an official statement from Hot Toys.

I think that's been there. Does that makes sense though? Seems like a CYA to me.

Rather than a bland disclaimer, I'd really like to know the reason -- is the real-world reason also protected from being revealed?

How can there be legal implications in using an orange jumpsuit for an action figure? That sounds ridiculous.

Now who's not making sense? They'd have to use more dye to make it brown than orange.

Even the Hasbro whiplash's have brown pants, both 3" and 6". And pretty much EVERY other toy of him from the movie... ALL BROWN... Keep reaching though.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't make it any less true. It makes even less sense to lie about it... What would anyone have to gain by that lie?

Last edited:

I think that's been there. Does that makes sense though? Seems like a CYA to me.

Rather than a bland disclaimer, I'd really like to know the reason -- is the real-world reason also protected from being revealed?

I understand "legal issues" on an orange jumpsuit seems weird. I'd question Hot Toys if this was specific to only their figure, but all other Whiplash figures were released with the brown pants as well. There was a Marvel Super Hero Squad that had an initial run of orange pants, but subsequent runs got corrected - This is a comment on original orange version:

"NOTE: This is the rare original release before Hasbro re-released with brown pants due to a legal issue with the color of the orange."

Here's a review discussing the brown on the minimates figure:

"Speaking of which, Whiplash's clothes are brown, rather than orange. Was that a change made in the film after the toy was under development, fancy corsetor did Art Asylum switch it for some other reason?"

Now who's not making sense? They'd have to use more dye to make it brown than orange.

Even the Hasbro whiplash's have brown pants, both 3" and 6". And pretty much EVERY other toy of him from the movie... ALL BROWN... Keep reaching though.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't make it any less true. It makes even less sense to lie about it... What would anyone have to gain by that lie?

You really take this to heart, don't you?

I understand "legal issues" on an orange jumpsuit seems weird. I'd question Hot Toys if this was specific to only their figure, but all other Whiplash figures were released with the brown pants as well.

I wasn't aware of this. The size of this conspiracy is quite frightening. And... intriguing. I need to know more.

Back