1/6 Hot Toys - PPS004 - Spiderman: Homecoming - Mark XLVII Power Pose Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was compairing this to the civil war armor and it's not a straight repaint. The body is clearly different (very noticible in the abs). Helmet looks the same though.

I was compairing this to the civil war armor and it's not a straight repaint. The body is clearly different (very noticible in the abs). Helmet looks the same though.

If you look at the final version of the XLVI Power Pose, the body is the same as this one. Check out the diecast XLVI as well.

Do these power pose figures usually have less switches for the lights? I understand in a fully posable figure it's more cost effective to have lots of switches in case you need to replace one part, but being basically a statue hopefully that means it will be easier to switch on and off? Is one thing that annoys me about normal hot toys when there are multiple switches AND they're all underneath fiddly flaps you have to remove

You know, as a "nod" to "the Ultimate armor" it just seems kind of lazy on the filmmakers part, though maybe Marvel didn't want investment made in a totally new armor for a Sony film. That paint scheme is so linked to the Ultimate armor it's a shame they didn't actually include some of the actual design elements beyond just the paint for the armor in the film.

To clarify, I don't think it's lazy just to repaint an existing armor design; half step upgrades are a reality in real life where internal aspects and functionality is upgraded and the only cosmetic change is a new paint job. We see this between the 42 and 43 and I am fine with it. But I do think it is lazy to miss an opportunity to honor a comic armor by just repainting an existing one. The 46 design is a true nod to the Bleeding Edge armor; repainting it as a supposed "nod" to the Ultimate armor just seems cheap.

Jaymas-I get what you're saying about this particular armor and how the "nod" or homage to the Ultimate Armor is weak as it is just the color scheme. The only issue I have with your statement is you seem to imply that the Mk. 46 was a "true nod" to the bleeding edge armor. Yeah it's true that even in the concept book they acknowledge they pulled ques from the design of the comic armor but absolutely none of the functionality. I get that you're talking aesthetics regarding the 46 & 47 but the comic design of the Bleeding Edge armor has plenty of differences to the Mk. 46; they basically share multiple arc reactors (most are larger and in different locations) and a paint scheme which isn't even that accurate.

I definitely agree that Marvel Studios should have at least designed a new helmet if they really wanted to pay homage to the Ultimate Armor but I don't think that's their intent. After AoU, the visual department was tasked to keep the progression of his armors to be somewhat "organic" so that going from Mk. to Mk. made logical sense of newer being better by the progression of his tech. It's funny in a sense because the Mk. 45 looks like it should come after the Mk. 46 and there are some statements by the designers who acknowledge the "misstep".

/rant

Do these power pose figures usually have less switches for the lights? I understand in a fully posable figure it's more cost effective to have lots of switches in case you need to replace one part, but being basically a statue hopefully that means it will be easier to switch on and off? Is one thing that annoys me about normal hot toys when there are multiple switches AND they're all underneath fiddly flaps you have to remove

Not ALL PP figures have just one switch but the Mk. 46 PP (and I'm sure this one will be the same) has just one switch for all the lights. Check out BudgetStark on YouTube.

..The only issue I have with your statement is you seem to imply that the Mk. 46 was a "true nod" to the bleeding edge armor. Yeah it's true that even in the concept book they acknowledge they pulled ques from the design of the comic armor but absolutely none of the functionality.

If it shared functionality it wouldn't be a "nod" to the bleeding edge armor, it would BE the bleeding edge armor.

I get that you're talking aesthetics regarding the 46 & 47 but the comic design of the Bleeding Edge armor has plenty of differences to the Mk. 46; they basically share multiple arc reactors (most are larger and in different locations) and a paint scheme which isn't even that accurate.

Again, it's a "nod" and it's done not just by paint but with an actual distinct design element of multiple arc reactors even if there are differences in size and exact location. It could pass aesthetically as a movie interpretation of the bleeding edge armor the same way the Mk 33 can pass as a movie interpretation of the comic version of the Silver Centurion. I don't think the paint is enough for the 47 to pass as an interpretation of Ultimate Iron Man. That would be like saying the MK 5 could pass as the Silver Centurion just because it was inspired by the same color scheme. The Ultimate armor has too many unique design elements that could have been incorporated on some level, even if subtly, for the design of the 47 to really be considered an interpretation of the Ultimate Iron Man design. I confess I can't deny that it is a nod to the paint, but not the design in the same way Mk33 is to Silver Centurion, Mk46 is to Bleeding Edge, or even the Mk6 is to Extremis in terms of design (I can't forget all the rumors before Iron Man 2 came out about how people thought the early pics of the Mk6 was Extremis).

I definitely agree that Marvel Studios should have at least designed a new helmet if they really wanted to pay homage to the Ultimate Armor but I don't think that's their intent. After AoU, the visual department was tasked to keep the progression of his armors to be somewhat "organic" so that going from Mk. to Mk. made logical sense of newer being better by the progression of his tech.

You're right, it doesn't seem to be the intent, it's just a "nod" in terms of paint, the same way the Mk5 was a nod in terms of paint to the Silver Centurion. But I see the "evolution" they are going for from Mk to Mk and from Mk46 to Mk47 even though there isn't much in terms of actual design much like the "evolution from the 42 to 43.

It's funny in a sense because the Mk. 45 looks like it should come after the Mk. 46 and there are some statements by the designers who acknowledge the "misstep".

That's interesting and I think this is a common opinion. Personally I like the 46 better though and it seems "more advanced" to me even if the design doesn't feel as "organic" in terms of design as the 45. But I get how the more "organic" look feels more advanced to some; that's just not my ultimate criteria.

Honestly, the Mk. 5 was as realistic of an interpretation of his suitcase armor he had before upgrading to his Extremis Armor, aside from the silver instead of gold, it was a great interpretation. As for Silver Centurion, the comic vs movie look nothing alike In my opinion. I've been reading IM for over 30 years so I guess I just don't see the similarities that you see.

I agree that if the 46 had the functionality of the Bleeding Edge then it would have practically been the Bleeding Edge but they never went far enough with the Extremis and subsequent upgrades to go down that path. And where you see a "nod" I see lazy designs and story telling.

Honestly, the Mk. 5 was as realistic of an interpretation of his suitcase armor he had before upgrading to his Extremis Armor, aside from the silver instead of gold, it was a great interpretation.

It sounds as if you are saying there was a very specific armor right before Extremis because as far as I know the suitcase armor has almost always been a part of Iron-Man's history.

tumblr_mkyqitEBzo1sn4ul9o1_500.jpg

As for Silver Centurion, the comic vs movie look nothing alike In my opinion. I've been reading IM for over 30 years so I guess I just don't see the similarities that you see.

Nothing alike? Admittedly it's not a direct representation but it clearly is an intentional interpretation and translation of the design of that specific comic version of the armor to the movie screen. Besides the colors the distinct arc reactor and shoulders specifically are meant to capture the look from the comics.

I agree that if the 46 had the functionality of the Bleeding Edge then it would have practically been the Bleeding Edge but they never went far enough with the Extremis and subsequent upgrades to go down that path.

Yea, it was kind of a missed opportunity, particularly because they mention Extremis specifically in IM3. Really when you take where he was with the separate armor parts of the 42 and combine it with the Extremis technology (which by the end of the movie he apparently understands enough to be able to "cure" Pepper") it's only a half step away from doing Extremis all out. There was a logical step there for the taking they just simply didn't take.

And where you see a "nod" I see lazy designs and story telling.

Up until that last paragraph above just now, I haven't talked much about story telling; just design when it takes a clear and intentional inspiration from specific comic armors. I'm not sure what is "lazy" about most of the examples I have mentioned except for the 47 which gives a "nod" to the ultimate armors only with paint. I don't really see "laziness" is anything else.

I love Iron Man. The armors have been incredible as of late. This one does not do it for me. Not a fan. I'm glad though, because I need to save a little. Especially before Infinity War shows up.

Jaymas, yes, very true that the suitcase was a staple for Stark for ages in the old comics but I was referring to the suitcase that (almost like the Mk. V) was his armor for a brief time, it didn't just store the parts inside.

As for Silver Centurion, the paint scheme, shoulder pads and arc reactor shape definitely resembled the comic version, but when the suit was in use it looked much more akin to the classic IM armor with muscular looking sections that could be mistaken for spandex and bulbous helmet. Still, you are right that it was a good modernization of the suit in cinematic form.

Lastly, the lazy storytelling I was referring to was actually summed up perfectly by you. It really felt like at the end of IM3, Stark was going to go nanotech with his armor but just hit a brick wall in his quest to keep refining the armor. It really was a wasted opportunity.

I'm going to wait, hoping, expecting a MMS release. None of the other 3 power pose figures sell for more than retail now so I'll pick this up after the fact if an MMS never gets made

I'm going to wait, hoping, expecting a MMS release. None of the other 3 power pose figures sell for more than retail now so I'll pick this up after the fact if an MMS never gets made

Just FYI, SSC doesn't collect deposits for items less than $199.99. I POed the PP Mk. 46 and noticed no deposit needed so cancelling for the MMS was No problem.

Just FYI, SSC doesn't collect deposits for items less than $199.99. I POed the PP Mk. 46 and noticed no deposit needed so cancelling for the MMS was No problem.

Yea, I know. But it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't released before they even announce a MMS version. It actually say June-Aug 17. So that would put me in yet another decision making situation.

I don't think the paint is enough for the 47 to pass as an interpretation of Ultimate Iron Man. That would be like saying the MK 5 could pass as the Silver Centurion just because it was inspired by the same color scheme. The Ultimate armor has too many unique design elements that could have been incorporated on some level, even if subtly, for the design of the 47 to really be considered an interpretation of the Ultimate Iron Man design.

You know how they designed the Mark 47? The concept art people were told to take the 46 chassis and change the colors. They probably made 20 versions and one of them was done in the style of Ultimate, i.e. silver/grey midsection, because the artists will take inspiration from other sources when making so concepts for the production team to choose from. They were not going to change the suit in any way, I am sure that was the directive in order to reuse CG and practical assets as much as possible for what will certainly amount to a cameo appearance of the suit.

Every art book is filled with a dozen or more identical drawings of Iron Man with different colorways. The director and producers flip though them and say "that one", and that's it. Fin.

1LFfnGfm.png
qmTMHvPm.png

j6P8lXzm.png
VcVUUiCm.png
n08dDwJm.png
sbObvjim.png

The 46 came about as someone in the production said to add a bunch of arc reactors so it looks like extremis because fans want that. They aren't actually doing Ultimate, they aren't doing Extremis. They just fold in comic looks as it gives nerds something to clap about and gives the art team something to start with.

They gave Batroc a purple track coat so fans who know Batroc's costume from the comics would think that was neat, no one else on earth notices or cares

QLPWpRW.jpg

giphy.gif

Back