1/6 Hot Toys - MMS420 - GOTG Vol.2 - Star-Lord Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol

Probably true for many of my figures. But I have a broad collection that goes way beyond just Star Wars and Marvel so I just can't afford full price preorders for everything.

For a time, with few exceptions, I was able to save $30-40 on every figure if I was patient. But with the recent HT cutbacks on many edition sizes (assumed) I've been finding it harder to get a really good deal and the window of opportunity has become much tighter.

I thought it was just me who wondered if HT was lowering the number of figures they made per run. A couple years ago you could find certain figures pretty easily and most of the time cheaper than they were at retail due to being on the shelf longer.

I fully believe that HT knows this lower run makes the figures go up on the after market and in their twisted view this would justify us paying more for a second version of the figure while offering less with said figure.
and example might be if they decided to re-release Doctor Strange as a promo or limited run with less accessories and being a bit more expensive. People would still buy it(look at the many iron man figures that got re-released as toy fair exclusives, but only repainting said figure and charging more)

Over-saturating the market is never good for a manufacturer. That said I'm still surprised at the price many of the recent Marvel releases seem to be fetching in the aftermarket. That was not the case a few years back aside from the rare exception.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this guy... About the staining issues, has anyone stained their hands while handling the jacket and then proceed to stain other figures in your collection during reposing etc.?

It can stain your fingers if play with it too much but it washes right off:

stained-fingers.jpg

Anyone know if a) Star Lord Head from first film works on this figure and b) if the helmet exclusive forming around his face works on first Star Lord HS?

Thank you for any help!

:lol

Probably true for many of my figures. But I have a broad collection that goes way beyond just Star Wars and Marvel so I just can't afford full price preorders for everything.

For a time, with few exceptions, I was able to save $30-40 on every figure if I was patient. But with the recent HT cutbacks on many edition sizes (assumed) I've been finding it harder to get a really good deal and the window of opportunity has become much tighter.

It's such a crapshoot. Really hard to predict which will sell out super quickly. Some of the Rogue One figures were tiny runs. Stormtroopers and Vader just disappeared in a couple months.

It's such a crapshoot. Really hard to predict which will sell out super quickly. Some of the Rogue One figures were tiny runs. Stormtroopers and Vader just disappeared in a couple months.

And shoretrooper. A figure nobody wanted is suddenly one of the most expensive and hardest to find figures.

It may have taken so long to get rid of the few they made that HT sees it as a failure, even though NOW the figure fetches quite a pretty penny. Their thinking is not "wow, 8 people are willing to pay $500 on this doll." Their thinking is "we made just a few shoretroopers and its still took a year for them to sell out" so that is a failure.

I thought it was just me who wondered if HT was lowering the number of figures they made per run. A couple years ago you could find certain figures pretty easily and most of the time cheaper than they were at retail due to being on the shelf longer.

I fully believe that HT knows this lower run makes the figures go up on the after market and in their twisted view this would justify us paying more for a second version of the figure while offering less with said figure.
and example might be if they decided to re-release Doctor Strange as a promo or limited run with less accessories and being a bit more expensive. People would still buy it(look at the many iron man figures that got re-released as toy fair exclusives, but only repainting said figure and charging more)

I am not surprised if Hot Toys had to cut back on the production run per figure due to the number of figures they are trying to release, especially for Infinity War. I can think of many figures that were introduced but not yet released. Factories have limited capacity so they have to reduce the production run per figure to accommodate all the figures in the pipeline.

I think they go short on figures that will get soon get a re-release. Dr. Strange comes to mind there, though there hasn't been an IW version previewed it seems that first one sold out really quick. Antman seemed to be a similar scenario where the original sold out quick and then the other was announced shortly after and hung around.

I think they go short on figures that will get soon get a re-release. Dr. Strange comes to mind there, though there hasn't been an IW version previewed it seems that first one sold out really quick. Antman seemed to be a similar scenario where the original sold out quick and then the other was announced shortly after and hung around.

When did Strange go up for Preorder? I didn't preorder him until a few months after the blu ray release.

If I remember correctly, Doctor Strange was still available several months after he was released. I got mine from my LCS as recently as about three months ago. Prices started to go up after people saw how great he looked on-hand and the supply started to dry up (from what I can recall).

Infinity War seems to have given him an extra boost although I originally bought the figure because I like his colors and how he looks. Since I am posting in the Star-Lord thread, I will say that I also bought the Star-Lord deluxe for the same reasons.

Arrived today with a couple of little stains on the neck, but looks good otherwise:
Probably could have used a better pointer finger hand for the first pose, but oh well.
az9a84U.jpg

M4VQeZH.jpg

Back