Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Mark XXI-MIDAS - Link for waitlist in opening post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just displayed my Midas.

Out of all of my Iron Men, the Midas is my least favorite. He's pretty, don't get me wrong, but he's nothing more than a greedy marketing campaign to cash in on old molds before die-cast hits.

My gripes:

1) It's more bronze than gold

2) There are no LED repulsors in the feet (cheap)

3) The base doesn't light up for who knows why (cheap)

4) The metal airfoils are plastic and built into the flaps, there is no hinge (cheap)

5) The wear and tear added to the figure for effect is stupid. When you make a "Gold" figure, people associate that with pristine or mint. (Bad decision)

6) His thigh armor comes off but there isn't anything better to put in place of it. (Bad decision)

If you haven't got this figure, pick it up for $350-400, but knowing what I know, I wouldn't pay a dime more for it. IT IS SCARCE, so they will always be valuable, but if you're going to display the piece, you're not going to be blown away.

Some greedy collectors are going to contest this because they want to sell or trade you their extra figures. Just know if you want a limited and nice looking figure, the Midas fits the bill but it's overhyped for sure.

Good luck.

Just displayed my Midas.

Out of all of my Iron Men, the Midas is my least favorite. He's pretty, don't get me wrong, but he's nothing more than a greedy marketing campaign to cash in on old molds before die-cast hits.

My gripes:

4) The metal airfoils are plastic and built into the flaps, there is no hinge (cheap)

5. The wear and tear added to the figure for effect is stupid. When you make a "Gold" figure, people associate that with pristine or mint. Bad decision.

If you haven't got this figure, pick it up for $350-400, but knowing what I know, I wouldn't pay a dime more for it. IT IS SCARCE, so they will always be valuable, but if you're going to display the piece, you're not going to be blown away.

Some greedy collectors are going to contest this because they want to sell or trade you their extra figures. Just know if you want a limited and nice looking figure, the Midas fits the bill but it's overhyped for sure.

Good luck.

:exactly:

I agree with you my friend.....

Love mine, but completely agree about the lighted base and the scratches. Would be SO much better withiut those two issues.

Love mine also and will never sell it but i have no idea why they would not have the base light up. The scratches don't really bother me.

I understand they are saying Tony used all the armors. I would have liked to see the base coat of the Midas Armor to be a different color. Why couldn't they use a different color gold that had some shine to it for the scrapes? Why does it have to be old school rust primer color? I think that's what bothers me the most. :dunno

Agree with everything proxy said but I really enjoy the paint scheme and I'm not bothered by the bronze tones. If it were anymore gold it would look too close to C3PO or the Oscar award to me.

Just displayed my Midas.

My gripes:

5) The wear and tear added to the figure for effect is stupid. When you make a "Gold" figure, people associate that with pristine or mint. (Bad decision)

6) His thigh armor comes off but there isn't anything better to put in place of it. (Bad decision)

Good luck.

1. I personally love the colors, would have hated a single gold figure.

2. Aside from the mech test and the Mk II AU no other armor has feet repulsors.

3. Light up base would have been nice, but one less thing to worry about not working.

4. Aren't the airfoils on the original release mk7 the same way?

5. I like the little bit of wear, makes it look like it's seen a little action.

6. I for one think the open shoulder and thigh pods look crappy. I would have liked the spent thighs and the shoulders blanks to put in.

Just a few of my opinions to counter yours. I don't think you are wrong at all, just I see the figure differently.:lol

So is this what we need to start building for the upcoming Armors? The Wine cellar

https://vimeo.com/68262256

:lol Yeah, that's been discussed during HOA conversations. I'd have more room to build HOA's vertically than stretching 7 horizontally for sure.

Would have been nice to see that used in the film. Heck he could have been tinkering with some of those suits throughout and showing what they are capable of/how and why he designed them ect. So many missed opportunities but I still love the film.

It's very interesting. That would be one heck of a play set.

Just opened mine up for quick inspection. Awesome figure. I almost blew the budget on the Secret Project instead...but just couldn't pull the trigger because the SP looked almost exactly like it was painted with Testor Primer and Gunship Gray- a scheme I had used on one of my Gundam models :) Glad I waited for this one. For collectors with multiple IM figures I can understand how it'd be harder to impress (law of diminishing returns?)...but for myself this looks perfect next to my Mk II.

Anybody with a power pose Mk 42 can compare the gold of the Midas to that? Planning to get the Mk 42 and hope the golds are different....

So I finally got around to fully unpacking my Midas to put him on display and as I was taking the little plastic wraps off of his arms and legs, his right arm came right out of his socket! It will stay in the socket if I keep him in a neutral pose but the second I try to rotate his arm to say put him in the repulsor blast pose, it just comes right out. Seems as if it is very loose. Anyone ever see this before?

https://youtu.be/ttz2scfbeHQ

Still processing...if it doesnt load, give it a few minutes please :D

Nice review Nick! :clap

1201575_o.gif

:rotfl

Agree with everything proxy said but I really enjoy the paint scheme and I'm not bothered by the bronze tones. If it were anymore gold it would look too close to C3PO or the Oscar award to me.

True, LOL.

The toning is cool and I guess they didn't want him to look like an Indiana Jones idol.

So I think it's just the name that is wrong, why the hell call him Midas? Everything Midas touched turned to solid gold, not multi-tone goldish.

Perhaps they should have simply called him Bronze or something.

Honestly, for the money, I think Armor Unleashed is way better and he only cost $200 when he came out.

He's a perfect example of why they should have made him gold if they were going to call him Midas as they already and an all silver version AU.

1. I personally love the colors, would have hated a single gold figure.

2. Aside from the mech test and the Mk II AU no other armor has feet repulsors.

3. Light up base would have been nice, but one less thing to worry about not working.

4. Aren't the airfoils on the original release mk7 the same way?

5. I like the little bit of wear, makes it look like it's seen a little action.

6. I for one think the open shoulder and thigh pods look crappy. I would have liked the spent thighs and the shoulders blanks to put in.

Just a few of my opinions to counter yours. I don't think you are wrong at all, just I see the figure differently.:lol

You make very good points, especially on #2, I didn't know that.

I just think that this is one HT figure where they really used photography to sell the figure. Most of them look as good or better when you pull them out of the box as the marketing photos. IMHO, not this guy. He looks cool no doubt, but the gold in the marketing photos really pops. I literally dropped my mouth in disappointment when I pulled him out of the box. I was like, "what the hell?".

I lit him up good in a Maybang case with custom lighting and the color really comes out, but the photos were definitely "enhanced" to sell the "Midas Effect".

Honestly, when people are starving in the world and have nothing, I'm not going to go too far in complaining about the figure. We're all pretty damn lucky to have these toys.

For the money Midas is a bad joke.

Mark II AUV spanks this in many departments :lol

You're right, it totally does. If they did Midas like AUV, that would have been a whole different story, it would have been at least as good.

I disagree. I'll take Midas over mk2AU any day. Mk2 is great, but Midas pops in a way Mk2 doesn't. Not to mention the mk7 is a much cooler armor thantche mk2/3. Do a light up base and an extra head really make that much of a difference to you?

Back