Hot Toys - MMS 87- Planet of the Apes General Ursus spec + hi res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The General arrived on my doorstep this morning , absolutely fantastic! It's a cliche I know , but photos just don't do this figure justice . On the strength of this , the other two Apes will be ordered a.s.a.p . ( and to think , I was going to give this series a miss , due to budget issues . It turns out , great deals can be found from China as opposed to paying prices quoted by dealers here in the U.K ). Now I need some 1/6 horses ! ( Doh!):monkey5

Mine arrived today, along with his 2 buddies.OUTSTANDING!! These guys are to Sideshow as Sideshow is to Hasbro...PS

I'd love to see Cornelius, Zira, and Zaius, and, yes, Taylor (in the flight suit) the most.

I would like to see them stick to the first couple of movies the most. I want an iconic display. A lot of you are looking for numerous characters, but I don't see that as likely, so I hope they get all the big ones out of the way first.

Then if the line continues lets hit the TV show and some other areas.

I'd love to see the major Chimp and human characters , but I think H.T will wait and see how the first three Gorillas sell . If there was any justice , they'd sell like hot cakes , but the reality is , the "Apes" franchise is a loyal but limited market .
020-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

( Sorry about the low quality of the photos , I shot without flash as I found that using flash makes the face look look too shiny and made detail such as the eyes "pop out " too much !)

I don't think that the POTA franchise is as limted as many seem to think. However, there was word from a good source last week that the HT Ape line would be continuing.

I didn't really mean that the " fan group" was small , because obviously the Apes still have an enormous amount of enthusiasts , but how many are 1/6 collectors? Sideshow released a fair number of figures but even they ran out of steam . And those figures were half the price of Hot Toys . But I'm sounding more negative than I had intended here! All I meant was that it wouldn't pay to be too excited about a huge range of figures , that's all .:eek:

I would love to see the line continue and continue. Would be awesome to get a Caesar, Aldo, Taylor, Nova, etc., etc., but as long as Cornelius, Zira and Zaius make it out, I will be happy. Making Ursus and a Gorilla Soldier already covered my favorites/most wanted.

This sounds like a weird complaint, but the gorilla soldiers have too much "personality" in the faces - there was something generic but effective about the gorillas in the first film. And their hair was very specifically styled, and these HT soldiers don't have that cut. (Even Ursus needs a trim; his hair wasn't that long down the front.)

I too would like to see the major players done in this line before they go down some Burke/Virdon/Milo rabbit hole.

Here are a couple of pix of my HT Ursus, comparing him with the Sideshow...
PICT0005-4.jpg

PICT0006-4.jpg

Like comparing a GTO to a Pinto...PS

I didn't really mean that the " fan group" was small , because obviously the Apes still have an enormous amount of enthusiasts , but how many are 1/6 collectors? Sideshow released a fair number of figures but even they ran out of steam . And those figures were half the price of Hot Toys . But I'm sounding more negative than I had intended here! All I meant was that it wouldn't pay to be too excited about a huge range of figures , that's all .:eek:
Sideshow killed their version with no real publicity {like they gave Star Wars, INdy...) and by pushing too many figures out too soon and too many variants of the same character.
I would love to see the line continue and continue. Would be awesome to get a Caesar, Aldo, Taylor, Nova, etc., etc., but as long as Cornelius, Zira and Zaius make it out, I will be happy. Making Ursus and a Gorilla Soldier already covered my favorites/most wanted.
I'm sure HT would blow Taylor out of the water if they did him. I'd rather see a Brent that looks like Franciscus though. A Nova that resembled Linda Harrison would be great too. Gorillas are my faves, so if they wanted to do Urko, Aldo, etc... I surely wouldn't complain.
This sounds like a weird complaint, but the gorilla soldiers have too much "personality" in the faces - there was something generic but effective about the gorillas in the first film. And their hair was very specifically styled, and these HT soldiers don't have that cut. (Even Ursus needs a trim; his hair wasn't that long down the front.)

I too would like to see the major players done in this line before they go down some Burke/Virdon/Milo rabbit hole.
While I would certainly stand in line for the "major players" I would hardly compare Burke and Virdon, stars of the weekly series, to Milo who, while an important character, had minimal screen time in only one film. Personally, i would love to hope to see at least the main five characters from the TV series.

While I would certainly stand in line for the "major players" I would hardly compare Burke and Virdon, stars of the weekly series, to Milo who, while an important character, had minimal screen time in only one film. Personally, i would love to hope to see at least the main five characters from the TV series.

But that's pretty much a pipe dream, isn't it? Urko could be a quickie release using existing parts, but that doesn't seem to be what the line is about. I wouldn't expect much past Zira, Cornelius and Zaius (if those). The TV series doesn't have the same cachet as the films for most collectors.

I think the stripes on the gorilla captain was as close as you'll get to the tv series in this line (which, let's remember, is called Movie Masterpiece).

Wor-gar-I also lengthened his cuirras by one row, front and back(thanks again, Angel!). Of course, now it's all rendered moot(not that I mind).So, anybody in the market for a modified Sideshow Ursus?...PS

Dude, HT doing this line was a pipe dream. Everything here on out is gravy so why not dream and enjoy it?

Agree about the gravy part, but wishing for Prefects and James Naughtons and sub-par Roddy McDowall makeups tends to turn into sour disappointment very quickly in the collecting world...

Back