1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 237D06 - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Whiplash Mark II Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally get that Hot Toys are pushing the Iron Man franchise but this is something else. Turn back the clock to IM2 and this is what we have been waiting for. Just for pure coolness and not a moment to soon. Just how good will this look next to the original Whiplash or even the Monger. (Watch those prices on the first addition) you gotta have the pair right....? Thank you Hot Toys for giving me that child like excitement I have missed for a while. This guy oozes badness....
Snaz
I don't think of this figure and Iron Monger as needing to be paired personally. Putting the Mark III next to my Iron Monger just feels like it's getting in the way of Monger's awesomeness. I understand that some may feel the need to pair these up with their respective movie counterparts but in terms of visual awesomeness these can stand alone in a league of their own!
Well that's great than! I don't want to pick up to much Iron Man stuff. Looking for a Mark IV at the moment so I can get the Gantry than after that Iron Monger and order Iron Patriot which should be arriving in April and Mark 42 which will be July. Of course this will be on order and that will be it for Iron Man figures for me. I'm actually pretty excited to have some Iron Man's in my collection. Will be different.
:goodpost:
:lecture

I remember hoping and praying it would have light up whips too. and here we are :yess:
:exactly:

I don't think of this figure and Iron Monger as needing to be paired personally. Putting the Mark III next to my Iron Monger just feels like it's getting in the way of Monger's awesomeness. I understand that some may feel the need to pair these up with their respective movie counterparts but in terms of visual awesomeness these can stand alone in a league of their own!

Again 100% agree. Although I really do want to own my first Iron Man figure I thought the Mark IV would be a good start since I really want to pick up the Gantry. That would be a sick display of it's own. Iron Monger would have it's own shelf.

I agree with you 100%. Iron Monger and Whiplash Mark II make the movie. I really want to pick up Iron Monger but I have no Mark III but still will probably pick him up. I'm looking for a Mark IV to go with Whiplash and even War Machine. So this may be my only Iron Man figures but who knows I may get Mark 42 and Iron Patriot. To much awesomeness coming out this year. :gah: :lol

...I don't think you should worry about picking up other Iron Man figures to complement Iron Monger or this figure, they will display amazingly on their own!

Less is more sometimes, I actually prefer my Iron Monger to have his own shelf instead of sharing it with my Mark III believe it or not.
Totally agree w/Y4NK33 and was going to mention this, myself. I wouldn't get hung-up on trying to recreate scenes or displaying the figures only in context of the movies. Like Y4NK33 mentions, a lot of times less is more and Monger displays incredibly on his own, as I'm sure Iron Whiplash will. I intend to have Monger and Whiplash on one shelf, with MILK War Machine, MW MK II and a re-released Mark IV (not in a rush, so won't pay aftermarket - plus, I'm convinced HT will re-release at least Marks III and IV in diecast) on another. May not make sense from a movie-specific POV, but I think they'll display great together.

Again 100% agree. Although I really do want to own my first Iron Man figure I thought the Mark IV would be a good start since I really want to pick up the Gantry. That would be a sick display of it's own. Iron Monger would have it's own shelf.

That will make an awesome display with the Mark IV and Gantry for certain. :clap
Totally agree w/Y4NK33 and was going to mention this, myself. I wouldn't get hung-up on trying to recreate scenes or displaying the figures only in context of the movies. Like Y4NK33 mentions, a lot of times less is more and Monger displays incredibly on his own, as I'm sure Iron Whiplash will. I intend to have Monger and Whiplash on one shelf, with MILK War Machine, MW MK II and a re-released Mark IV (not in a rush, so won't pay aftermarket - plus, I'm convinced HT will re-release at least Marks III and IV in diecast) on another. May not make sense from a movie-specific POV, but I think they'll display great together.

Sounds like a killer display! Do you plan on having Iron Monger and this Whiplash Mark II on the same shelf? I would imagine that you are using something other than a Detolf b/c these guys will demand a ton of space to pull off a display like that. :)

Totally agree with you both. Great points which I will follow. Still will pick up a Mark IV the only older suit I'll get so I can get the Gantry. If they remake both Mark III or IV in Die cast. Both so bought.

Same here with the Gantry, I keep putting it off since I haven't figured out where I would display it :slap

Understandable. I'm getting new shelves so should have a place for it when the time comes. Always wanted some of the Star Wars Environments but not as much as this one.

Totally get that pairing with the Monger will take away the shear beauty of both collectables. Plus most collectors have detolfs so won't even fit side by side..... I guess what I was saying is Im glad that my original stayed with me over the years.... So many great releases since the Whiplash MMS121 i could have let him go. I'm not a flipper by any means but not made of money....lol..

Centurion is the same $250 and has an NRD, Starboost doesn't at $270. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, its likely a combination of price and perceived demand.

And to go a little further regarding perceived demand, I'm wondering if the NRD is also reflective of how many HT is willing to make of a more expensive item. Along those same lines, maybe it also has something to do with how many units SSC is willing to distribute. NRDs might be treated as a "lock" for supply, so maybe HT doesn't have a set production run for that particular figure, and could make more or less depending on how many PO come in.

Sounds like a killer display! Do you plan on having Iron Monger and this Whiplash Mark II on the same shelf? I would imagine that you are using something other than a Detolf b/c these guys will demand a ton of space to pull off a display like that. :)
Thanks! Yep, they will be on a custom shelf so that both will have enough room to breathe. Just really like the idea of these two villains posed together. If using Detolfs, I totally agree, Monger displays best on his own (always hate seeing him crowded in with a couple other figures). Guessing it'll be the same with Whiplash on account of the whips. Lots of room required there to let them spool out. Damn these are great figures! :D

Totally agree with you both. Great points which I will follow. Still will pick up a Mark IV the only older suit I'll get so I can get the Gantry. If they remake both Mark III or IV in Die cast. Both so bought.
Mark IV's a great release and I like the gantry, but like Y4NK33, wasn't sure where I'd put it and I only have so much room for large pieces, like gantry, SW Dewback, etc. It's a great piece, though, so I can see why you want it.

And to go a little further regarding perceived demand, I'm wondering if the NRD is also reflective of how many HT is willing to make of a more expensive item. Along those same lines, maybe it also has something to do with how many units SSC is willing to distribute. NRDs might be treated as a "lock" for supply, so maybe HT doesn't have a set production run for that particular figure, and could make more or less depending on how many PO come in.
It's kind of hard to figure out their system. I'd have thought if any figure would have an NRD, it'd be Starboost, given it's expensive and a unique design with I'd guess more limited appeal than the regular Marks.

I think most production quantities are based on pre orders. There are exceptions like the Con stuff but everything else is pre orders. Whether or not the distributor orders more to pad their inventory, is on them. It's why HT doesn't ever say how many and why some sell out faster then others.

Yeah it's just fun to speculate, I guess. ^_^ I don't know if PO alone will determine the production run because look at figures like Hawkeye that sell out well before release and do not get bumped up in final numbers. I think HT does set a limit based on what they think will sell and how much they can make given the production process, but it probably varies figure to figure. There's some min/max going on well in advance that's outside of what consumers really need to know.

I'll wait on the diecast figures for a few years, See how well they hold up in the long run. Too much can go wrong with it, and I see the added weight as a negative, not a positive. It's also possible that the standard mms figures will see the added articulation on later releases.

Either/or, I'll tke the wait and see approach.
Everyone should keep in mind that when HT says "die cast", that phrase is deceptive. The IM figures features SOME die cast parts, very probably certain sections of armor and nothing else. That being the case, I doubt it will effect articulation in the slightest, because the parts involved with articulation will be plastic as usual.
The downside that I foresee is a higher center of gravity than all-plastic figures, which may make tip-overs (and consequent breakages) more of a problem.

Yeah it's just fun to speculate, I guess. ^_^ I don't know if PO alone will determine the production run because look at figures like Hawkeye that sell out well before release and do not get bumped up in final numbers. I think HT does set a limit based on what they think will sell and how much they can make given the production process, but it probably varies figure to figure. There's some min/max going on well in advance that's outside of what consumers really need to know.

Cases like Hawkeye, I think the there was a mad dash at the end after totals were already sent to HT and production had started. I know I was waiting to make sure they were going complete the line(Watchmen). Remember, HT was not known for actually finishing out lines. When I started this hobby, if you didn't pre order then it was hard to get come ship time which I feel distributors only placed orders for a pre orders. This was still a growing market and those prices were thought to be high. The aftermarket was really pricey because of this. Then there was a time when nothing sold out. I feel distributors saw what figures were selling for in the aftermarket and decided to order extras to capitalize on the growing market. Now I think we are some where in the middle. Some are ordered a little heavier then others based on whether or not they think they can move them.

Once again, just my hypothesis.

Everyone should keep in mind that when HT says "die cast", that phrase is deceptive. The IM figures features SOME die cast parts, very probably certain sections of armor and nothing else. That being the case, I doubt it will effect articulation in the slightest, because the parts involved with articulation will be plastic as usual.
The downside that I foresee is a higher center of gravity than all-plastic figures, which may make tip-overs (and consequent breakages) more of a problem.

OMG did this to show what parts are diecast and plastic.

WMMKII181_zpsf3065c15.jpg~original

Wow! HT continues to up their game, this one looks great. I don't collect IM, but this will make for an excellent addition to any IM display.

I maintain (despite people thinking I'm dead wrong) that Hot Toys will revisit, at minimum, the more popular Mark releases from the Iron Man releases (Mark I, III, IV, VI, VII) with diecast.

Now having WM MKII with diecast I'd love to have all my Iron Man releases featuring diecast- bring it on. It makes a worlds difference.

Back