Hot Toys-MMS 220-The Wolverine-Wolverine 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly my favorite movie but this is (in my opinion) the best Wolverine figure yet so this was an easy PO for me. Plus that Hugh Jackman head sculpt is pretty nice.

It really is a great feeling knowing I have this figure paid off already. Just have to wait for it to come in.

Not exactly my favorite movie but this is (in my opinion) the best Wolverine figure yet so this was an easy PO for me. Plus that Hugh Jackman head sculpt is pretty nice.

:exactly: I used to own the Origins Wolverine but the HS really bothered me & I eventually sold him. This HS on the other hand looks amazing.

I thought I was done with figures but it looks like I'm back with this & the new Thor about to be ordered.

racism ?.... in this movie??

I think his use of the term "racism" was a bit too strong, as I agree there wasn't any overt racism in the movie.
That being said, the movie did continue the vaguely unsettling hollywood trend of having a white man going into a foreign country, bedding a native girl and killing all of the native men.

If you notice there really wasn't a single "good" japanese male character.

Didn't bother me too much, but my asian friend came out of the theater pretty disturbed.

Uh, Yukio? Mariko? Kenuichio, in the end at least? I don't think we watched the same film. Kenuichio willingly sacrificed himself in an attempt to save Logan's life, if that's not good, I'm not sure what is.

Uh, Yukio? Mariko? Kenuichio, in the end at least? I don't think we watched the same film. Kenuichio willingly sacrificed himself in an attempt to save Logan's life, if that's not good, I'm not sure what is.

Exactly. Good post. Maybe I have to be Japanese to understand the racism and stereotype he's talking about. My Asian friends loved it. Of course most of them are from the Philippines and one from Korea.

I think his use of the term "racism" was a bit too strong, as I agree there wasn't any overt racism in the movie.
That being said, the movie did continue the vaguely unsettling hollywood trend of having a white man going into a foreign country, bedding a native girl and killing all of the native men.

If you notice there really wasn't a single "good" japanese male character.

Didn't bother me too much, but my asian friend came out of the theater pretty disturbed.

Oh... well I guess I understand why that might bother someone. Its just a movie anyway. In fact it made me want to go to japan... seems like a really nice place to visit

Yeah there were good guys actually :exactly:

Yukio and Mariko were female. Thus "white men bedding native women" (sure Mariko was a friend but still female. Knowing the state of the x-men I'm sure he slept with her later :yess:) My point was there were no good male characters. Kenuichio's mindset and decisions were poorly described in the movie imho. He was basically a bad guy who at the very end decides to sacrifice himself for a pretty poorly explained reason.

I'm really just speculating on why the other poster was so pissed off, since he seemed unable to explain himself coherently. But he's not the only one, at least seeing how some of my asian friends felt. Although I agree lot didn't care either, so I think it's very borderline.

Honestly I think it's difficult to understand where a person is coming from without experiencing being a minority/discrimination oneself, unless it gets significantly brought up in the public conscious.
For example I had zero problem with Johnny Depp playing Tonto until I read something way after I saw the movie. If he had played a black character there would've been rioting in the streets and he'd never get another part, just because we as a society have been made aware of the issue it brings up for African Americans.

@Henry Morgan: Yeah it definitely made me want to visit Japan as well :lol

What? there is a problem with Tonto too?? :slap I guess some people may be against the idea of a native american that wants revenge and all that right? thats the problem?

I just watch the movies and enjoy them...

I never left a theater thinking "damn those (insert race here) people!" no movie ever made me feel that

Last edited:
What? there is a problem with Tonto too?? :slap I guess some people may be against the idea of a native american that wants revenge and all that right? thats the problem?

I just watch the the movies and enjoy them...

I never left a theater thinking "damn those (insert race here) people!" no movie ever made me feel that

Haha I read it was because it was a white guy playing a Native American. The whole "blackface" issue. Yeah sometimes you just have to ignore stuff, nothing you can do about it so just enjoy the movie.

I just watch the the movies and enjoy them...

:exactly::goodpost::goodpost:

Couldn't have wrote it better, people like to moan about things that are not relevant.

:exactly:

Those people should enjoy the movies and see beyond all that, specially when its a superhero movie the topic always is heroism , self sacrifice and all that.

Haha I read it was because it was a white guy playing a Native American. The whole "blackface" issue. Yeah sometimes you just have to ignore stuff, nothing you can do about it so just enjoy the movie.

:exactly:

Look at it this way, I'm Hawaiian, when Disney put out Lilo & Stitch, and drew all the Hawaiian's with big noses, you think I was offended by that? Hell yeah i was :D but I still enjoyed the movie.

And I really like this fig, I want to get it, but I'm sooo pissed at what Fox has done with X-Men I'm torn about it. Not to mention posing could be a problem since his head always has to be tilted to the right slighted for him to look straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't get it. What about when Eddie Murphy played an old Jewish guy in Coming to America. Or an old Chinese guy in Norbit. How about the Wayans brothers playing two white chicks? Is that any less offensive? Plenty of stereotyping going on there. Is it just because it's comedy that we overlook it?

Then why should we scrutinize so many other movies such as comic books superheroes sci-fi and fantasy when it comes to race and stereotypes? My grandparents are from Russia but I was born in the US. Do you think every time I watch Rocky IV I get offended? How about the Hunt for Red October, or Red Dawn, or Red Heat? Are people really still this sensitive?

I guess I just grew up in the Archie Bunker era when everybody chastised everybody and we all got along better cause it was out in the open instead of having to tiptoe around everyone.

Wait I forgot one. I was offended when Cate Blanchett played a Russian in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull because she butchered the accent.

Back