Hot Toys John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like hot toys have taken a step back in terms of accuracy, this looks like something that could have been released 10 years ago

I dunno, I think he looks pretty great.
But when you factor in the fact that the people that have him in hand have paid nearly £400 for him, I can see why they might be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I tend to agree that something seems a bit off with the likeness, and it's got that same sort of generic quality as the new Obi-Wan.

Although the ironic thing is it actually looks a lot better in your video than in most others I've seen so far! :D

Same. This video is the best it's looked to me, but something feels a bit off.

The likeness just isn't there, I have yet to see a Wick HS that was close to perfect.

Yeah I tend to agree that something seems a bit off with the likeness, and it's got that same sort of generic quality as the new Obi-Wan.

You know, I’m actually starting to agree.

Initial blogger pics of a figure are usually soft, and in hand photos tend to show a sculpt a bit better, but for me it seems to be the opposite with this figure. I initially thought the likeness was really good, but as I’m seeing more and more pics, I agree it’s starting to look a bit soft and generic; kind of in the same vein as what the RotS Obi-Wan sculpt is.

It’s a shame because I really want this figure, being that I like John Wick and it provides additional variety to my collection. But the sculpt just isn’t really doing it for me. As I said before, if I can get it for lower on the secondary market, even used, I’ll still bite.

You know, I’m actually starting to agree.

Initial blogger pics of a figure are usually soft, and in hand photos tend to show a sculpt a bit better, but for me it seems to be the opposite with this figure. I initially thought the likeness was really good, but as I’m seeing more and more pics, I agree it’s starting to look a bit soft and generic; kind of in the same vein as what the RotS Obi-Wan sculpt is.

It’s a shame because I really want this figure, being that I like John Wick and it provides additional variety to my collection. But the sculpt just isn’t really doing it for me. As I said before, if I can get it for lower on the secondary market, even used, I’ll still bite.

I doubt ul find this on the secondary market for less.
Neo has sold out and that was a lacklustre effort, this will be the same except more so.

For me what throws it off the most is the lack of expression. Keanu as John is such an expressive, animated character that it looks a bit off for him to just be staring straight ahead with mouth slightly open. Usually I am all for static expressions since I mostly favor museum poses, but John seems to demand something more angry and determined.

It's definitely not ideal, but this is one time when my love for the character and movies trumps everything else, and I can probably live with it only being a "representation" of John Wick. Especially when the outfit and weapons look so damn good, and he looks like he'll be fun as hell to pose.

And of course it still blows away any custom sculpt I've seen.

It's definitely not ideal, but this is one time when my love for the character and movies trumps everything else, and I can probably live with it only being a "representation" of John Wick. Especially when the outfit and weapons look so damn good, and he looks like he'll be fun as hell to pose.

See I'm not sure it does.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I’m going with it anyway! When mine arrives I’ll be sending the sculpt off to be rooted (by someone with way more skill than me!). I personally think the hair is holding back the sculpt. The paint is bloody/beat up but the hair looks too perfect. Wick should have strands in front of his face etc, as his hair is quite recognisable.

For me, I think the facial features look a bit too generic and not quite sharp or chiseled enough. I also think the beard (like most HT’s beards) is a bit too soft and needs to be a bit thicker with more discernible strand details. As is, it looks more reminiscent of a shade above a five-o’clock shadow to me.

I’m starting to become a bit more selective on what I get these days when it comes to 1/6 figures, and don’t just automatically always hit the PO button anymore the way I used to. I put a lot more thought into getting figures now and if a figure isn’t really “speaking” to me per se, I don’t necessarily just automatically get it no matter what. It just depends how much I think I really “need” a representation of that particular character.

Yeah his beard is definitely way too thin and short on the sides compared to what it should be. Not sure if darkening it will improve the likeness at all, but it couldn't hurt.

The biggest issue I think though is that the face just isn't long enough for Keanu.

johnwick-anatomy-superJumbo-v2~01.jpg

john-wick-2-coins-feat.jpg

I agree about the face. And those pictures to me definitely show how the beard on the sculpt is discernibly off. Especially on the sides/cheek area like you said.

I’m pretty disappointed with the sculpt as well. Will probably keep my PO especially since I used a $25 code on it but I don’t expect I’ll hold onto this figure for too long.

I love John Wick and I love Keanu. I really want this figure.

I've never actually cancelled a figure before, and I don't want to start now, but I'm really leaning towards cancelling this figure. I'm really trying to limit my spending on these a bit more these days as I have some other life ventures I'd like to get into. I don't know what to do. Every time I see another photo of this figure from someone, all I can think is...man, I just don't like it. But I also have felt that way before from photos and loved the figure in hand. This one just seems a bit tougher to convince myself on.

This is a hard one.

I've never actually cancelled a figure before, and I don't want to start now, but I'm really leaning towards cancelling this figure. I'm really trying to limit my spending on these a bit more these days as I have some other life ventures I'd like to get into. I don't know what to do. Every time I see another photo of this figure from someone, all I can think is...man, I just don't like it. But I also have felt that way before from photos and loved the figure in hand. This one just seems a bit tougher to convince myself on.

This is a hard one.

Matter of time before it sells out.
Buy it, check it out yourself, if you don’t like it sell it on.
You won’t lose money on it

I really don't see it as bad as you guys are saying. I get it's not perfect, but I really haven't seen most of the kit bashes look any better. Especially for all of the accessories and the suit looks terrific too.

This is a hard one.

Yeah the new Obi-Wan was looking equally off and generic to me in pics, and ended up looking a whole lot better in hand, so I'm hopeful the same thing will happen with this.

Back