Hot Toys John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this has already been answered but , why does Hot Toys put their figures up for pre-order a year or more before the figure will actually be released? Is it so they know how many to make?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Better yet, Hot Toys should make John Wicks 69 Mustang battle damaged and his puppy.
F%$ck the Affleck batmobile or DeVito penguin. He is creepy disgusting as f#@ck
It's John Wick mutherf$%cker!!!

You should really think about getting the Hot Toys figure.

Not that I’m dickriding Hot Toys by any means—they have a history of hit or miss in various aspects of their releases and they’ve pissed me off with some of it this last year—but Mafex is not really worth the price for what you get. The figure joints eventually loosen, yes even recent ones, and since they use printing tech for the faces, they cut that process down tremendously and upcharge the cost of the figure anyway. These were okay at $60, $70, perhaps even $80 a pop. Not for essentially an entire c-note though.

Same with the Bring Arts and Play Arts lines. It’s all overpriced mediocrity and you’ll be lucky to break even, if you decide to sell any of it down the road. At least with most 1/6 figures, you know you’re going to make something back, should you decide to part with it. But I’m a bit jaded I guess, seeing as I sold off some of my Mafex figures and took it right in the ass, because no one truly wants to pay these ludicrous ****ing prices and even more so if they “update” a character later. Most of these import action figures and anime figures have simply become bloated garbage.

There’s a reason why a figure like this sells out on BBTS in less than 12 hours, but the vast majority of Figmas, Mafex and Play Arts linger forever and a day. Even a lot of Figuarts have trouble selling, this includes the Dragon Ball line, which is arguably their most popular line, and it’s dealing with allocation issues at present. People are mostly content with spending a little over $200 for a 1/6 figure—granted, they now seem to be straddling the halfway mark to $300–but $100 for an “okay” representation of a shrunk down character is asking a bit much. Not to mention they are pumping them out like Pez candy.

You’re honestly better off getting the Hot Toys. At least you won’t regret it down the road. I’m not trying to be an ******* either. I’m just speaking from experience and from a different perspective.

yeah **** figmas its like a 5 inch tall figure for $80 USD? dafuq lol. and play arts kai dares charge almost hot toy prices for mediocre sculpt and paint

Better yet, Hot Toys should make John Wicks 69 Mustang battle damaged and his puppy.
F%$ck the Affleck batmobile or DeVito penguin. He is creepy disgusting as f#@ck
It's John Wick mutherf$%cker!!!
It’d be neat to see the Mustang, but they should still make the other two.

yeah **** figmas its like a 5 inch tall figure for $80 USD? dafuq lol. and play arts kai dares charge almost hot toy prices for mediocre sculpt and paint
Well, it’s more like what Hot Toys used to charge about ten years back. Even still, there’s a huuuge difference in quality, when you compare a 2008 Hot Toys figure against a recent Play Arts Kai figure. I have about fifteen Play Arts figures. They are decent quality for what I actually paid for them. Nine of them were on sale when I purchased them.

Not that I’m dickriding Hot Toys by any means—they have a history of hit or miss in various aspects of their releases and they’ve pissed me off with some of it this last year—but Mafex is not really worth the price for what you get. The figure joints eventually loosen, yes even recent ones, and since they use printing tech for the faces, they cut that process down tremendously and upcharge the cost of the figure anyway. These were okay at $60, $70, perhaps even $80 a pop. Not for essentially an entire c-note though.

Same with the Bring Arts and Play Arts lines. It’s all overpriced mediocrity and you’ll be lucky to break even, if you decide to sell any of it down the road. At least with most 1/6 figures, you know you’re going to make something back, should you decide to part with it. But I’m a bit jaded I guess, seeing as I sold off some of my Mafex figures and took it right in the ass, because no one truly wants to pay these ludicrous ****ing prices and even more so if they “update” a character later. Most of these import action figures and anime figures have simply become bloated garbage.

There’s a reason why a figure like this sells out on BBTS in less than 12 hours, but the vast majority of Figmas, Mafex and Play Arts linger forever and a day. Even a lot of Figuarts have trouble selling, this includes the Dragon Ball line, which is arguably their most popular line, and it’s dealing with allocation issues at present. People are mostly content with spending a little over $200 for a 1/6 figure—granted, they now seem to be straddling the halfway mark to $300–but $100 for an “okay” representation of a shrunk down character is asking a bit much. Not to mention they are pumping them out like Pez candy.

You’re honestly better off getting the Hot Toys. At least you won’t regret it down the road. I’m not trying to be an ******* either. I’m just speaking from experience and from a different perspective.

Mafex already been improve so much since years ago. Mafex Bat Justice League is one of the best Batman. They totally nailed it. Really it's no comparison, different scale, different price. Some people prefer smaller scale because they do not have space or just simply liking that scale.

I just agree with Play Arts kai is simply worthless, cheap rubbery material, awful scuplting and paint, they keep jacking price to 1/6 simply because size. Bring Arts is not too bad.

I don't know if this has already been answered but , why does Hot Toys put their figures up for pre-order a year or more before the figure will actually be released? Is it so they know how many to make?

Gauge interest to try to get production numbers to a right number, lead time for production itself, buffer time for QC issues/updates, etc.

There's people out there who paid upwards of $800 for the PX exclusive Mezco Punisher and there's many many who spend over $150 on Mezco's, so the market for very expensive 1/12 figures is out there. I agree that I don't think Mafex should be as much as they are, given some of their quality issues and just being crazy expensive.

That's definitely a huge reason, give people time to see their products and for retailers to get orders in. It's not like Hasbro where Walmart is going to order 10 cases of whatever Hasbro puts out.

Passing on the Hot Toys for me, is mostly an issue with space and not fitting in with my current collection. I'm not paying $100 for he MAFEX figures either. I think they're only $65 on HLJ.

Sigh, been trying to cut back but then they had to go and include the Kel-Tec shot gun, love that gun. Preordered and definitely what I plan on displaying him with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mafex looks only slightly better than Marvel Legends figures. No figure of that scale is worth $100 when it's all plastic.

To each his own, but personally, I've found that some figures in this scale have had better likenesses than what Hot Toys has put out. For example SHF's TLJ Rey looks much more like Daisy Ridley, than the Hot Toys counterpart.

There's people out there who paid upwards of $800 for the PX exclusive Mezco Punisher and there's many many who spend over $150 on Mezco's, so the market for very expensive 1/12 figures is out there. I agree that I don't think Mafex should be as much as they are, given some of their quality issues and just being crazy expensive.

That's definitely a huge reason, give people time to see their products and for retailers to get orders in. It's not like Hasbro where Walmart is going to order 10 cases of whatever Hasbro puts out.
Jesus H Christ! Isn’t that about what the Hot Toys Tumbler costs? The msrp anyway.

I’ve bought very few non 1/6 scale figures at around $100 and it’s made me sick to my stomach every time. I’d slit my wrists paying $800, even for a ****ing 1/6 figure. :lol

Passing on the Hot Toys for me, is mostly an issue with space and not fitting in with my current collection. I'm not paying $100 for he MAFEX figures either. I think they're only $65 on HLJ.
Ah. See, you’re still paying for overseas EMS shipping. Although, you’re saving a little, I guess. The issue is they tend to sell out quickly. Then you’re stuck between a rock and hard place. I don’t normally check HLJ and AmiAmi either. I did have to use them for the JLA Bats and Superman. They are not worth $95 at all.

If you really like the character, you’d be doing it more justice with the Hot Toys. But I understand about the space concerns. This figure isn’t even going to be mine. It’ll be gifted to family. Even still, I have stacks of figures against my shelves and that includes 1/6 figures I’m hoping to display some day. :thud:

Mafex looks only slightly better than Marvel Legends figures. No figure of that scale is worth $100 when it's all plastic.
Some of them actually look way better, even compared to new Marvel Legends. It’s the quality versus the price. The trade-off isn’t justifiable in my humble opinion. There are exceptions though. In the case of Figuarts, I’d take the new ML Infinity War Cap over the Figuarts version, but it’s the opposite for the Infinity War Thor. Even those figures have reached heights that make it harder to sell off the stock. They used to sell out and stay as such.

To each his own, but personally, I've found that some figures in this scale have had better likenesses than what Hot Toys has put out. For example SHF's TLJ Rey looks much more like Daisy Ridley, than the Hot Toys counterpart.
I have to agree with you. However, not enough of them do and I HATE that they are using cheat technology while jacking up the price tremendously for it. And we all know once these go up, they never go down. It dictates the market. Competitors raise their prices in kind.

I dread the day Hot Toys starts using easy mode tech. It will inflate the price and never level out afterwards, just like these 1/12 import figures.

I really think you're over estimating the shipping on the mafex figures or more likely basing it on what BBTS charges for them. On mykombini John Wick is about $80 shipped with the fastest shipping available.

I don't get your complaints about the face printing. If the figures look like the actor portraying them, I don't care how they craft the head sculpt.

Hot Toys already inflates their prices with each release, did you miss their $243 accessory pack for their $407 Iron Man? They really don't need a reason to inflate their prices.

EMS is usually at least twenty or so. I know places like BBTS (which is arguably the largest online collectibles dealer in the states) are marking some stuff up about 20% to 25% when they likely get a discount for purchasing certain quantities, and that’s ****ed up.

My issue is, the tech for face printing was an investment, initially, but these companies have had time to make their money back on it by now. They raised the prices of their figures to compensate and offset their investment. Prices aren’t rebounding though. And why would they... when people keep dropping stupid money on nonsense? Maybe I would make for a bad businessman, but I couldn’t screw over customers or fans in such ways. And then there’s the fragility of Mafex figures. They’re still really frail and delicate. I feel like mine would shatter to pieces if they took even a slight dive off a shelf.

Anyway, blame the most recent hikes on worker strikes or the trade war, but at the end of the day the prices are pushing people out of a desire to own a lot of this junk now. At one time, I fancied owning an entire Justice League display of Mafex figures. It resulted in just two, after all of the hikes. I couldn’t imagine trying to collect MCU Figuarts. That would be maddening.

As for Hot Toys, that’s another pressing issue. They’ve been creeping up, slowly but surely, throughout the years. It’s been manageable for the longest time. This last year or two has seen big jumps though. They’re getting a little more ballsy every quarter. Face-printing, 3D printing tech—were they to ever implement such “innovations”—would warrant yet another upcharge. The work load would get drastically easier and in six to twelve months, they’d double their investment.

By the way, I thought most people seemed really put off by that accessory pack? I can’t imagine it selling very well at all. It should send a pretty clear message to Hot Toys, if so.

Sigh, been trying to cut back but then they had to go and include the Kel-Tec shot gun, love that gun. Preordered and definitely what I plan on displaying him with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. It doesn't belong with this specific release but man am I happy it is included.

Maybe hinting at a Part 1 release with slicked back hair, by including it with this particular figure? Assuming this does well, as it no doubt seems to be on track to do just that. Of course, it could also mean they won’t pursue anymore figures at all and they wanted to throw us a bone with an added accessory.

Back