Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid because it's right there in the picture but what is that? Did you use both of those cans in that picture?

The "S" word is pretty rude. Try not to use it. :lecture

Yes, you have to use both can. Thinner is to rub off the metallic paint. Under the metallic paint is the matt deep red rubber undies. I use the polyglaze to give it back the shine or one may call gloss finish.

Pretty lame on HT's part if that's the case. I mean why would you paint something red which is already red :cuckoo:

Agree. They could have just mould the rubber the same color instead of painting which will fade.

The "S" word is pretty rude. Try not to use it. :lecture

Yes, you have to use both can. Thinner is to rub off the metallic paint. Under the metallic paint is the matt deep red rubber undies. I use the polyglaze to give it back the shine or one may call gloss finish.

I was talking about myself. Not you.

@mywii - How did you get the rubber undies off. I tried and it is glued very well to my figure. I tried several attempts with no success. This issue is on my Mark VI EX figure. Is there any tips you can give me?

Agree. They could have just mould the rubber the same color instead of painting which will fade.

Weird thing is, they moulded it red AND painted it in red :cuckoo:

And what's more weird is that when the red paint fades, it doesnt show up the red rubber underneath. rather a silvery hue shows up :lol

@mywii - How did you get the rubber undies off. I tried and it is glued very well to my figure. I tried several attempts with no success. This issue is on my Mark VI EX figure. Is there any tips you can give me?

Mine mark 6 come off only with a simple pull. Guess they stinged glue on mine. Guess you can use hairdryer or a blade to slowly get it off.

Weird thing is, they moulded it red AND painted it in red :cuckoo:

And what's more weird is that when the red paint fades, it doesnt show up the red rubber underneath. rather a silvery hue shows up :lol

When I was rubbing the paint off there is a layer of silver. Probably the red paint fade and you have a light red and silver that's make it looks like pink. I am just guessing here though..

@mywii --> i really do appreciate you sharing this mod, can i ask how exactly you removed the original (faded) paint off?
- did you soak it with the leveling thinner?
- use a paint brush dipped with thinner and gently rub off the paint?
- use a cloth dipped with thinner?

and did you re-do any of the panel lines since its possible that some if not all of it will be rubbed off during the 1st stage of the mod.

thanks for the reply

I pour the thinner to a cotton ball and rub the paint off.

U shouldn't rub the lines as its indent but if u do just use a fine tip black liner pen. Some of the paint that u rub off might get caught in those lines. You can just use a toothpick and pick it out...

I need to do this with my MKIII BD Iron man. Did yours come out ok with this mod? I assume you took the legs off and then pulled the diaper off?

I need to do this with my MKIII BD Iron man. Did yours come out ok with this mod? I assume you took the legs off and then pulled the diaper off?

Better than pinkish undies for sure. Pull the leg off but I could not get the undies off so I just put cardboard in between the undies and the abd before rubbing the thinner...

Better than pinkish undies for sure. Pull the leg off but I could not get the undies off so I just put cardboard in between the undies and the abd before rubbing the thinner...

Could you please take another photo with better resolution to the "finished product"?

Just to look the contrast with the legs/torso better!

Thank you! ;)

Just used some goof off and removed the paint and to my surprise the darker red on the rubber underneath the paintis a much better match to the armor to my mark III than the original paint. Can't wait to finish this up.

Just used some goof off and removed the paint and to my surprise the darker red on the rubber underneath the paintis a much better match to the armor to my mark III than the original paint. Can't wait to finish this up.

So are you saying that you used a different technique on your Mk III BD than the mk IV? I'm a little confused. My Mk III BD is faded and so should I use the goof off on this or paint thinner?

Goof off is similar to paint thinners. Removes gunk and other stuff off surfaces and strong enough to remove paint also. I would go with thinners because it's main purpose is to remove paint.

Still a work in progress. Anyone can recommend a good black detailing pen to fill in the lines? Mine got removes when I was cleaning the paint off. And my Gundam pen ran out.

Back