Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting about the ED's having a moist tacky feel out of the box. Some of the other rubber figures I've had were not moist or tacky upon opening.

Last edited:
(I also posted this in the other ED-209 thread)
Just out of a preventive measure (for those not having the cracks yet) :
Spray the dome with a 100% silicone spray and it should keep the rubber in "healthy" condition !!!

From what I've read so far most owners having problems are those with a "dry" rubber dome , while other a saying that they don't
have a problem because theirs have a tacky rubber dome.
I think that they should have all gotten a silicone coating when they left the factory but it seems that not all got the silicone protective layer !

Well if there is a sudden delay then I think we would all know the reason why. :exactly:

from the pics there doesn't seem to be any warping of the black material around his waist so id say its not rubber but hard plastic. Also as someone else pointed out theres a pivet point right slap bang in the middle of the black torso part making it more likely to be plastic then rubber. Then again this is just judging from the pics and have no official confirmation.

RMA Approved and returned to SSC for full refund minus shipping.

Everyone that bought this piece trough SSC SHOULD do this.

- Screw member made dome replacements
- Screw do it at home fixes
- Screw the "there will never be another ED" mentality
- Screw the whole "Mine doesn't show any damage yet" (it WILL)

RETURN this now, specially those of us who bought these from SSC here in the US. There's international collectors completely SCREWED that would give their left nut to be able to do this...

*takes deep breath*

.......SIGH....

So, like a couple of others, I am registering to these forums due to these shennanigans...and I need some reassurance, or help, or something. I was silly enough to PO this thing, so I've had it since early May. I filled out a return form to Sideshow, noting that this is not my fault and the figure is/looks brand new, but want to return it anyhow, you know, due to the inevitable circumstances. No clue if I'll even be heard or acknowledged, or if I'll just be given some automated reply since it's been over 30 days......but this sucks. My first, and final, attempt at a Hot Toys/Sideshow purchase. :/ And I mentioned that in the request, too.

Checked mine yesterday (which has been in its packaging since purchase) and no sign of any cracks or deterioration that I could see. I did look very closely too. The rubber is still pliant and has a moist, slightly tacky feel to the touch. I wonder if the thing to kick off the problem will be when it's removed from the box to display. I'm thinking it's rapid dehydration of the rubber that's causing it to become brittle and crack.

Question is, what to do now? It seems fine at the moment, but will it stay that way?

P7190008_s.jpg

P7190009_s.jpg

P7190010_s.jpg

I had to quote you, buddy. I'm in the exact same boat you're in. I haven't even been able to appreciate this piece yet, but I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and return it.....the risk is far too great, and as it is, I'm acting pretty late in the game already. If Sideshow grants me anything, I'll be pretty darn lucky.

Wow...I too thought this was a necro-thread about the first release but I'm sorry to hear about this! As a long-time Hot Toys collector it seems that Hot Toys has NEVER gotten a good rubber formula right. They had issues catch up with them on the original release, the ALIENS, AVP, ALIEN Xenomorphs in general all have rubber issues, of course there's also all the TDK Batman rubber issues (which was enough to lead Hot Toys to create the DX12 in ALL plastic) and even the paint fading on the Iron Man's rubber areas.

Hot Toys needs to fix this or stop using rubber all together. I'm surprised they haven't started R&Ding different rubbers and rubber suppliers because all the ones they use over there are terrible and unreliable. The best way to send a message is what you all are doing AND ALSO SEND BACK ALL THE DEFECTIVE ED-209s. When their distributors start suffering and lose money, you can BET they're going to let Hot Toys know about it.

Sorry guys. :( I love Hot Toys, but they have a lesson to learn about all of this and it seems they haven't.

Based on all that I have seen and read in this thread, I did my second very thorough inspection of the two Ed's that bought. Both have been sealed in their original boxes, so I believe the rubber oxidation has been minimal. Right now, there is no cracking that I can see, but there are dry spots around the edges of the dome, and in the recesses of the joints. These dry spots weren't there when I originally received and inspected these pieces. I assume that this is the beginning of the unfortunate process.

If anybody is stuck with ed cause way past able to send it back,(like myself) this is some of the best stuff to use on rubber products that's available. Silicone grease is the best rot prevention for rubber. Just need to make sure the type you buy is clear and not white else it will yellow over time.

This particular one is used for automotive on convertibles and window seal rubber channels so it gets a lot of wind and heat on it. Does a great job and should last well on a figure contained in relatively temperate conditions on display.

It appears the ed rot issue is from oxidation. So if true, the silicone will seal the rubber from oxidation if applied properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405913102&sr=1-1&keywords=Rubber+silicone+grease#productDetails

Thanks for the advice Hokietwo. I just bought the silicone grease in that link. I assume you just apply and then wipe ED209 down like you would a car dashboard.

Hmmm, I might give it a try. It's a tough call, because I'm sure I could unload ED on e.Bay for $350.00 no problem, even being completely honest about the plastic rot. However, since I can't just return to my distributor and send HT a message, it might be worth trying to save it (plus I do love the design). I'm assuming a microfiber cloth would be best for removing the grease and not leaving any lint behind.

I would think it's easier cleanup and easier to apply and wipe off. Also shin-etsu is a chemical compound specifically made for rubber and a sealant.

It is also used in computers for CPU coolants and fans. So pretty durable from degrade.

Damn. OK, I'll try it. I'll check back in six months or so in regards to how ED's doing. Sure hope it works. Regardless of how things work out, thanks Hokie!

Back