Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, Eamon said they recorded it BEFORE we all realized the rotting.

I know, I actually said that in the second sentence. I just mentioned it since someone mentioned that talked to Hot Toys about the rubber from the first one and the difference on the second one and how it is a new material, that obviously isn't working. :wave

I was planning to get an ED209 at some point in the near future, I figured once Robocop comes into stock I would want one to display with him. This is sad turn of events, I feel bad for those who have to deal with it but even though I don't have one I still feel affected indirectly:(

I'm the one who recommend it to him. My batman figures look newer once I used that, however I don't know if it would keep ED from deteriorating since it seems to be a serious issue. I suppose it's worth a shot.

:lecture. My batman looks newer as well. This might be worth trying out for those who don't have any damage showing up yet in an attempt to prevent any damage from occurring. Like Chev said, its worth a shot. Although, with the level of cracking I have seen from the photos, I don't know if anything will prevent that.

I suppose being based in Hong Kong or wherever that they are exempt from class-action lawsuits and litigation but I wonder if there are any international consumer protection laws that could help turn up the heat on Hot Toys?

I suppose being based in Hong Kong or wherever that they are exempt from class-action lawsuits and litigation but I wonder if there are any international consumer protection laws that could help turn up the heat on Hot Toys?

Yeah, that and the fact that they don't care. They already got your money.

I was planning to get an ED209 at some point in the near future, I figured once Robocop comes into stock I would want one to display with him. This is sad turn of events, I feel bad for those who have to deal with it but even though I don't have one I still feel affected indirectly:(

Well the wait for a truly high-end ED-209 action figure goes on.....

Well the wait for a truly high-end ED-209 action figure goes on.....

Well in 1/6 scale at least I fear the wait for a new version will be extensive, were likely not to see another for an easy 4-6 years I would think.

More than that even. Not like there's gonna be a new Robocop film to time any further releases with, the remake flopped.

More than that even. Not like there's gonna be a new Robocop film to time any further releases with, the remake flopped.

Your likely correct, I myself didn't like the re-make, it was way to tame an I don't think I seen a drop of blood in the whole movie, add to that I also didn't hate the villains and there deaths were very unsatisfying.

I can live with just Robocop on the shelf, as long as they don't goof him up I'll be good:pray:

I thought the remake was decent but I haven't felt in much of a rush to watch it again.

I'm out on that flick, no interest in round two, although I will give credit where its due, the CG was great and the scene where he is shown what's left of him was a powerful. Aside that the rest is forgettable and ultimately boring, the best parts for me was Sam Jacksons (Rush) impersonation:lol

Checked mine yesterday (which has been in its packaging since purchase) and no sign of any cracks or deterioration that I could see. I did look very closely too. The rubber is still pliant and has a moist, slightly tacky feel to the touch. I wonder if the thing to kick off the problem will be when it's removed from the box to display. I'm thinking it's rapid dehydration of the rubber that's causing it to become brittle and crack.

Question is, what to do now? It seems fine at the moment, but will it stay that way?

Last edited:
I'm out on that flick, no interest in round two, although I will give credit where its due, the CG was great and the scene where he is shown what's left of him was a powerful. Aside that the rest is forgettable and ultimately boring, the best parts for me was Sam Jacksons (Rush) impersonation:lol

Felt pretty much the same way about the movie. There were 1 or 2 good scenes but the majority of the movie is forgettable and I have no interest in re-watching it unlike the original which is a classic in so many ways.

I really like the new robocop. New spin on it with current/future tech. Didnt really like Joel kinnamons performance but I loved the robocop scenes
New robo would destroy old robo

For the first time, after watching the new one, the old one does seem dated

New robo would destroy old robo
uh-huh. it really did. destroyed everything what could be interesting in an old movie and put a bag of crap atop.
i hope that age of dumb ironman clones ends soon.
also script writers of those modern B-movies should really learn to make more than 15 minutes of plot. though why should they, it's already too much for a B-movie of any century :rotfl

It's quite sad that this thread is already made when the figure is roughly 3 months old.

Yeah. I visited this section to check on the MMS204 thread as I was contemplating on getting one since the figure's at around $40 off its SRP at a local toy shop. Now I see this and the idea was instantly crossed out. It might have been $40 off but still a $370 worth of prematurely aging rubber, it seems.

Plastic like how NECA did it for their new ED209 would have worked, I suppose.

Are we seriously talking about a movie remake on a complaint thread? :lol

Anyway, this deterioration issue is totally unbelievable, not after a mere 3 months. I was planning on getting this but I'm 100% against it now. Hear that, Hot Toys?

Checked mine yesterday (which has been in its packaging since purchase) and no sign of any cracks or deterioration that I could see. I did look very closely too. The rubber is still pliant and has a moist, slightly tacky feel to the touch. I wonder if the thing to kick off the problem will be when it's removed from the box to display. I'm thinking it's rapid dehydration of the rubber that's causing it to become brittle and crack.

Question is, what to do now? It seems fine at the moment, but will it stay that way?

P7190008_s.jpg

P7190009_s.jpg

P7190010_s.jpg

Well it could be that you´re right and I guess temperature und humidity goes on top of it.
ATm we germany have about 90ºF and the cracks kept popping up over the weekend. They become appearant now and I´ll be able to photograph them tomorrow, I guess

Send it back. I doubt a single production piece will be impervious to the issue.

I won´t, I bet on that too.

Back