Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan is to sculpt a new dome shell, cast it in resin and cover it with the upholstery fabric I've sourced.

You would deliver a piece that could be glued onto the ed209 (once the rotten dome removed). Correct?

I'd be interested if good pics of the finish on the dome were provided. I am not sure fabric can imitate the original texture with enough depth.

m.

I am not sure fabric can imitate the original texture with enough depth
...of the cracks.

Aufkleber_Trollface.jpg

Im not a big fan of the whole fabric thing on top of cast.
Will be time consuming, also it ads a layer on the sides that needs work too to fit properly, hence probably a higher cost.
Will attract more dust too.
A hard black dome with the same grainy surface on it , ready to use easy to recast.
Just my two cents 😊

Im not a big fan of the whole fabric thing on top of cast.
Will be time consuming, also it ads a layer on the sides that needs work too to fit properly, hence probably a higher cost.
Will attract more dust too.
A hard black dome with the same grainy surface on it , ready to use easy to recast.
Just my two cents ��

Absolutely right. Conveniently painted matte, it would work like a charm. Lots of trials and errors to get the proto right, though. A chore.
m.

Once more ,
A replacement project that didn't go anywhere.
Such a loved figure that a lot would love to keep in good condition and yet...

Mine's still rotting. I'm still interested ...

I am convinced this issue is weather dependent...I have had mine 209 since first day of release and dome is still perfect. As are all other rubber stuff on my HT.

Where I live the humidity is on avg around mid 40%...

It's certainly possible. Though I live in Jersey and the humidity is pretty much straight down the middle - not terribly dry or terribly damp. I actually think a major issue is that the quality of the rubber HT used was super uneven. I think some batches were good and others not. My ED started cracking and rotting within a year of purchase. But meanwhile, none of the other figures I have on display with rubber arms or torsos (Hellboy, Sarah Connor, etc.) have ever shown even a hint of cracking.

But the most frustrating part of all of this is ... and we've all said it a million times ... THE DOME NEVER NEEDED TO BE RUBBER IN THE FIRST PLACE.

:banghead

:lecture

Worse still, Hot Toys completely ignored something like 8 years worth of complaints about the rubber dome on V1 drying up and rotting. In some respects they really are an abysmal company.

I peeled the rubber dome of mine years go then glued it back on so it wasn't stretched so tight and it's been fine ever since with no deterioration at all. I haven't put anything at all on the rubber either just left it as is. The rubber on the legs is a bit dry and cracked though.

Last edited:
didn't they just re-issued ED209? you can get either a parted out spare dome or a full figure. with a new dome you can then apply protection so it doesn't crack.

Not about the toy, but all ED 209 freaks need to check out this new mini-doc on one of the best scenes of all time:

"Someone wanna call a goddamn paramedic?"

I need to replace the rubber elbows for the arms and legs, did you find any replacement parts on ebay or anywher ? There must the right diameter but it is difficult to find. Do you have any references ? Thanks.

Back