Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked mine over carefully last night, and no problems yet, but I'll keep looking at regular intervals. With SDCC coming up, we should ask about this from multiple angles...

Will you be at SDCC?
Would you probably have the chance to ask H Chan about that?

A fella talked to timcent and he says the problems are there too and native buyers are fairly pissed too.
But...as we all know...they can´t make their voice heard like us.
No facebook...don´t even know if they can use a proxy for that.
So...dunno how they´´re doing it...

Thanks for that info Endo. Somebody needs to round up all those affected by this and have a petition signed so HT can see how bad it is. How is it that HT can be so untouchable? Even the Asian community can get no response from them?
On a side note, what if this has happened during manufacturing but no one notices because it starts out so small? Also, I think the assemblers should be wearing nitrile gloves during assembly, in case there is a reaction to the plasticisers and body oils. I have multiple stupid finger prints on the rubber neck and on the front of the missle arm. Like he or she touced it while it was still wet.

Endo- did you ever get in contact with that rubber company? If I could somehow seal the decay shut, it would at least be a solution.

Will you be at SDCC?
Would you probably have the chance to ask H Chan about that?

I would be suprised if he showed up. But, there would be no better opportunity to hit him up about the problem. He probably doesnt even know about it as such a large scale screw up like this will undoubtedly cost someone's job.

Endo- did you ever get in contact with that rubber company? If I could somehow seal the decay shut, it would at least be a solution.

I keep posting this, but no one seems to read it. Silicone oil is your best bet. Not the spray on stuff, but the stuff out of a bottle. You get it from rc shops, the cars use it in their suspension shocks.

Still no indications of deterioration on either of mine. My theory on the small batch of damaged figures: The accelerated aging and premature cracking is caused by the Styrofoam packaging. Styrofoam can emit ozone and volatiles when exposed to heat. These substances when trapped in the packaging will start a chain reaction that will cause the plasticizer to migrate from plastics and rubber. Don't leave ED (or any other figure for that matter) in a box that will be exposed to heat for any period of time. Exposure to hot summer temperatures and storage conditions will result in irreversible damage in as little as a few days of exposure under the right circumstances.

I keep posting this, but no one seems to read it. Silicone oil is your best bet. Not the spray on stuff, but the stuff out of a bottle. You get it from rc shops, the cars use it in their suspension shocks.

I have read this and am tempted to try it. Two things:
1- which particular brand is preferred?
2- would it remain wet after application?

I'm not using anything on mine. Make sure you avoid anything that contains hydrocarbons like mineral oil, etc. Check the products MSDS if you're unsure about it's contents.

Still no indications of deterioration on either of mine. My theory on the small batch of damaged figures: The accelerated aging and premature cracking is caused by the Styrofoam packaging. Styrofoam can emit ozone and volatiles when exposed to heat. These substances when trapped in the packaging will start a chain reaction that will cause the plasticizer to migrate from plastics and rubber. Don't leave ED (or any other figure for that matter) in a box that will be exposed to heat for any period of time. Exposure to hot summer temperatures and storage conditions will result in irreversible damage in as little as a few days of exposure under the right circumstances.

I agree that this could be a potential scenario for some. However, I do not keep my collectibles hot boxed. I remove them for inspection as well as ventilation of the processing compounds. While I can appreciate your attempts to quell the uprising against Hot Toys, I feel this is something they need to admit to and address for the sake of their integrity. I would also like to add that I would think Hot Toys would have capable consultants on their payroll to determine whether or not their could be a potential reaction between materials.

I agree that this could be a potential scenario for some. However, I do not keep my collectibles hot boxed. I remove them for inspection as well as ventilation of the processing compounds. While I can appreciate your attempts to quell the uprising against Hot Toys, I feel this is something they need to admit to and address for the sake of their integrity. I would also like to add that I would think Hot Toys would have capable consultants on their payroll to determine whether or not their could be a potential reaction between materials.

I'm not trying to quell anything, I'm just saying that what we are seeing is a complex reaction as a result of chemicals being released from heat affected styrofoam packaging.

I'm one of the few lucky ones with no signs of deterioration. Although, I wouldn't be surprised with age it starts to crumble.

Probably cuz cheap rubber is cheaper and their customer service is non-existent.

This could true; However

I would gladly trade the extra BD arm and sound effects for a hard plastic resin dome.

I don't recall any releases from hot toys in the past year or two that had significant amounts of rubber unless to cover a joint or make up a suit like the 89 batman for example. Rubber figures are just to unpredictable. It seems for every 1 success (HT Leonidas) you get 3 fails(HT aliens, toy fair batman, and of course ED-209 2.0) the list can go on. Why start using rubber again now on a 2.0 figure whose predecessor had some of the worst rubber rot we have seen on a hot toy?

I wonder how good sales are going to be when european dealers gets their stock at the end of next week. You would have to be crazy insane to buy at this point.

The dealers themselves, do they go ahead with the sales and hope that a miracle happens or? I know I would be very pissed if I bought it and it was obvious that the seller knew what was happening beforehand.

SIDESHOW said:
Unfortunately, we found we do not have any replacements for your ED-209 that would be a considerable improvement.

Meaning they don't have any more replacements or the replacements all have the same problem? It sounds like the latter.

Mine looks okay... so far. It's been in the box since I got it and will have to stay there due to a lack of display space.

I'm not trying to quell anything, I'm just saying that what we are seeing is a complex reaction as a result of chemicals being released from heat affected styrofoam packaging.
There's no way for you to know that for a certainty. And every single case of the rubber cracking is due to the figure being 'hot boxed'? Even the ones that were unboxed and displayed immediately? That doesn't seem feasible.

I wonder how good sales are going to be when european dealers gets their stock at the end of next week. You would have to be crazy insane to buy at this point.

The dealers themselves, do they go ahead with the sales and hope that a miracle happens or? I know I would be very pissed if I bought it and it was obvious that the seller knew what was happening beforehand.

Here in the UK, one dealer, ToyHQ claim that their 'batch' is going to be ok.. but they also made a very weird 'joke' on their Facebook page yesterday, by picturing a 1988 Kenner ED209 in a thread discussing the issue, to illustrate an 'undamaged dome', and I quote: "Just checked out our Ed209 for any faults and all ok. Must of been just the first batch".. considering Hot Toys ED209 is a £387 ($660) figure here in the UK, they have a rather 'unusual' sense of humor... I was interested to note ToyHQ's website does not appear to have any 'analogue' contact details.. just an email address.. and although Nottingham is mentioned, the retail map does not appear to include a 'ToyHQ' destination marker.

Since Hot Toys have not officially acknowledged the QC problems affecting the MMS204 or offered a solution, I would currently not touch this figure with a bargepole, at any price.

I find it hilarious that they let this happen again. Really didn't expect that. Honest. ED-209 was one of the most problematic rubber figures they've ever put out and the near-decade between the two versions still didn't fix those issues.

I just submitted my return form to SS. Will see what they say. I have no damage to mine still but I'd rather just do this now than wait it out. Painful having to do this. I really love this piece. Too bad HT was so dumb about this.

Guys i wont be surprised that more and more reseller are going to try to pull a TOY HQ trick.
So spread the word and insist on the fact that its not a weather or batch problem.
The rubber is bad period.

Facebook page is at 140 likes that is great in 2 day lets keep this up by spreading the word.

Guys i wont be surprised that more and more reseller are going to try to pull a TOY HQ trick.
So spread the word and insist on the fact that its not a weather or batch problem.
The rubber is bad period.

Facebook page is at 140 likes that is great in 2 day lets keep this up by spreading the word.

I know it's wishful thinking, but I wish it would get corrected because this was one of my most anticipated pieces and It's a shame I have to stay away now.

Back