Media-Movie Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What´s the status on your ED-209?

• Kept it in box, maybe looking into it later.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Out of box, no problems

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Out of box, little cracks, applied lubricant

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Out of box, cracks all over it/returned/sold

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
How long have you had it, and did you just go back to check to see and noticed cracks? Is it the dome or the arms and legs?
I have had it about 3-4 months. I live in UK. It's been doing fine but I went to check on it and I noticed a patch on the dome which has gone dull and smooth - almost as if the waffle pattern has started to sink/ melt and is now smooth. I think the only long term solution is for someone to make a thin plastic casting the same as the rubber part that can then be covered in acoustic speaker mesh material. I was living in denial and hoping it would be isolated to a particular batch or environmental conditions, alas I think we are all doomed. **** you Hot Toys!

Too soon to vote for any options.
We ll see in a few month but I have no high hopes.
I just don't understand with all the customizers out there no one give a damn, it's not like they are not going to make some money in process...

Checked mine and it looks the same as it did when it came out of the box.. Popped the arms and legs off too to verify. I keep it in a besta with doors.. And have humidity around 40 percent year round

Too soon to vote for any options.
We ll see in a few month but I have no high hopes.
I just don't understand with all the customizers out there no one give a damn, it's not like they are not going to make some money in process...
Indeed, it is a shame, because if the dome/rubber issues are fixed (or replaced), this figure is a 5/5. I love it and it's one of my top figures -- so long as it doesn't deteriorate (and at these discount prices, no way would I pass). I don't get the thing with the customizers, either... no offense to them, but they seem a flaky bunch. This and a clean Tee for BD T1 Terminator are easy, easy sales, yet no-one steps up. Just take the money, lads!

i have kept the dessicant packet in the battery bay as well.. mostly because the chinese robocop voice is embarrassing.

The poll is starting to look a little more realistic. I neglected to vote since I just hit the panic button and returned it ASAP when news of rubber rot broke. It didn't show any signs at the time, though...

Damn, getting online here and having a look...crazy development here.
Never have thought that this thread would run so well.

With that said:
Sorry for a bunch´a guys. I really seems like every ED is destined to go down this path and you´re all right about the customizers.
I longed for a solution too, even tried one myself, but it would be to costly.

For those who don´t what I´m talking about:
Got a rubber/composite/damping company in direkt vincinity of my place and ask for a small series of parts.
Problem is that they´d need the parts, so dismanteling of ED would be a must and the series must have had a substantial number to it...

Looking forward on how this´ll fold out further over here.

Nice start into the new week nevertheless for everyone.
:wave

Mine is fine, too. Out since April and in a glass case. Room Temps average 76 degrees. I check it weekly and have had no problems, so far. Would be interesting to know the environmental conditions of those who report severe damage just to see if there's a commonality. I agree it shouldn't matter, but if there's a pattern, we can try to avoid it. This is just too cool of a figure to pass on if you're a Robocop fan.

It's always hot and humid in southwest Florida, so it's rare to have the windows open. Air conditioning 24/7. Not sure the humidity levels in the house, but we do tend to keep it pretty cool inside year round. As mentioned, no deterioration (yet).

Yeah, hope for all of you, but I believe it was A-Dev who said that he thinks that eventually all ED´s are doomed.
Let´s hope for the best and just preserve him as good as it gets until someone comes up with a good, if not great exchange-part-plan...

Has there every been a Hot Toys rubber issue that hasn't effected ALL their figures, not just a portion?

Watchmen: All, DX02:All, even the second fixed batch are effected, Mars Attacks: All that have been posed that I'm aware of. Ed209: original release? Everyone I've seen. Etc etc. these things are mass produced, so huge numbers of them will have the same issues. Not a small minority.

I think it's probably a little naive to think that this issue isn't gong to escalate.

I saw very recently, a V1 ed 209 that was sealed, opened and put out on display. No rubber degradation. How long will it last now that it is on display, probably will rot faster than hell.

These don't rot. It's from becoming dry and cracking. Theoretical if you keep them protected with some sorta medium to keep from drying out, they should last.

Back