Hot Toys - Batman 1966 Live-action TV Series - Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not one but TWO new 1966 Batmobile products were revealed today. Neither from Hot Toys...

New for 2016: JADA 1:24 metal Batmobile with opening doors, Batman & Robin figures. Available on Amazon or eBay now!
https://www.pimpmybatmobile.com/news/jada-124-scale-1966-batmobile-diecast-with-figures/

First look at the new 1966 Batmobile by Kaiyodo. Not metal, but very nicely detailed model. Comes in at 6″ which makes it between 1:37 and 1:38 scale. A bit bigger than the 1:43 Corgi et al., and a bit smaller than the classic 1:32 Aurora model. Very nice and well worth the $99 price. Opening doors, hood,trunk and TWO sets of accompanying figures. One seated “in-scale” set, and one beautifully sculpted 1:32 standing lager figure set.
https://www.pimpmybatmobile.com/news/kaiyodo-revoltech-1966-batmobile/

Nice to see the 66 Batmobile still getting some love. May have to jump on the Kaiyodo. Too bad no other company wants to tackle this in sixth scale since HT seems to have given it up.

Too bad no other company wants to tackle this in sixth scale since HT seems to have given it up.

Whilst not agreeing with it i can think of 2 reasons for this. Firstly there's the fact that batman 66 was a tv show and HT never makes much from TV shows only movies and comic adaptions. Secondly the thing going against the release of the Batmobile 66 is the amount of time that it has been since the show was aired.

In all fairness its been more then half a century since the original show aired and no other HT product ever released has seen that much time pass since a figure went into production. Nowadays with marvel, star wars and dc comics taking up all of ht efforts they are devoting little or no time to figures from 80's franchises nevermind ones from 1966. I just think we're extremely lucky to have even gotten the 2 figures in 1/6th scale from the original series.

At this point i just hope HT release a Batmobile of any sort. Hopefully the one from BVS.

Last edited:
Certainly can't disagree with you on those points. However, I'm in the camp that the 66 Batmobile simply transcends time, as evidenced by the smaller scale production that some companies are currently still putting out to collectors and fans. I'm disappointed that HT has all but confirmed the end of this, but happy to have the Dynamic Duo, regardless. Would love to see another company try and give it a go in sixth scale. There's still a legitimate market for this and it would sell well if made. No reason HT has to be the company to do it exclusively.

While there certainly is an audience still for it, I think with the poor sales of the figures that they made certainly played a major factor in making the figure for release. I feel like they'd have a better chance selling the Batwing from 89 Batman than they do the 66 batmobile at this point.

While there certainly is an audience still for it, I think with the poor sales of the figures that they made certainly played a major factor in making the figure for release. I feel like they'd have a better chance selling the Batwing from 89 Batman than they do the 66 batmobile at this point.

I would love to have the Batwing.

Come on guys, how many of us can realistically say they are able to display a 1/6 Batwing at home? It would never leave the box!!!!

Hell, many on the 1/6 1989 Batmobile thread have yet to open the damn thing! A 1/6 Batwing (while undeniably cool af) is impossible, and at this point, if it's not SW or Marvel, it's got zero chance of ever happening. If that 1/6 Millenium Falcon cockpit and that (1/112?) Heli-carrier from avengers have not made it, the chances of anything DC, vehicle wise, are non-existant. And that includes BvS (thank christ)

If Hot Toys would have committed to the line with Romero Joker at the beginning, sales would have been much better. Many like a villian and other core character. If 89 Batman was released without Nicholson, sales might not have been as well. Hot toys has their arrogance to blame, not us collectors. I was also excited for the B vs S batmobile.

Come on guys, how many of us can realistically say they are able to display a 1/6 Batwing at home? It would never leave the box!!!!

Hell, many on the 1/6 1989 Batmobile thread have yet to open the damn thing! A 1/6 Batwing (while undeniably cool af) is impossible, and at this point, if it's not SW or Marvel, it's got zero chance of ever happening. If that 1/6 Millenium Falcon cockpit and that (1/112?) Heli-carrier from avengers have not made it, the chances of anything DC, vehicle wise, are non-existant. And that includes BvS (thank christ)

Not saying they would make it just that i would love one. If they did I would hope it would come with a wall mount but if not i would make one. I have my 89 Batmobile and Delorean displayed in my small apartment :dunno

To be fair, HTs has shown many vehicles unrelated to DC that haven't been made. As you mentioned, the Falcon cockpit, the Tie Fighter, the Tie Interceptor and Rey's Speeder.

I think they are just showing things to keep hype going with possible plans to release but nothing in stone. Maybe when they have a break in their production schedule we'll see these vehicles being realized 5-10 years down the road. Hell, they finally offered Arkham Joker...only took like 5 years :huh

Maybe once the whole DC/WBs movie-verse implodes, we'll see the BvS Batmobile.

Not sure it was poor sales or over production or a bit of both

I think companies deluded themselves into thinking Batman '66 was going to hit big again with the BD release, and capture some of the current superhero fan market by crossover. That was naive, at best. The '66 TV show will always have some pop culture appeal, but that's not going to translate into big $$$ anytime soon. It's the very definition of niche fan interest.

I remember thinking at the time of the modern '66 merchandising onslaught that many companies were going to take an absolute bath on the license, and I'm sure they did.

I really think they should go 'kick-starter' route.
I'm sure they have all numbers worked out - how much it cost to produce certain number and what number becomes profitable..etc.
post that and see how many people actually willing to pay up front and wait.
If there are enough interest to meet their numbers, they can make a first batch - something enough to make small profit.
If not, then they can stop there and use that as 'why we don't make it' excuse.
If there are enough demand after that, they can do more - by that time, they would have all the production molding and assembly pipeline..etc

There is no need to try to predict stupid sales numbers beforehand these days, you know

I'm sure some companies did lose money on the anniversary merchandise, but how much of it was just reissuing something in a new package? Or less-than-collector-grade quality? Agree that this is a niche market, but just focusing my point on the topic, which is the 66 Batmobile, it goes beyond the niche market with fans. It can easily crossover into other areas as evidenced by what seems to be an endless supply of varying scale die cast and plastic renderings of this specific car. While no one else has gone over the 1/12th scale yet, aside from the one HT displayed, if it were made, it would sell. All the 1/6 89 Batmobiles and Tumblers (in both color schemes and re-releases) have sold out. Same with other niche cars like the Delorean from BttF. I have zero doubt it'd sell well and HT (or anyone else that's make it) would profit nicely from it.

I'm sure some companies did lose money on the anniversary merchandise, but how much of it was just reissuing something in a new package? Or less-than-collector-grade quality? Agree that this is a niche market, but just focusing my point on the topic, which is the 66 Batmobile, it goes beyond the niche market with fans. It can easily crossover into other areas as evidenced by what seems to be an endless supply of varying scale die cast and plastic renderings of this specific car. While no one else has gone over the 1/12th scale yet, aside from the one HT displayed, if it were made, it would sell. All the 1/6 89 Batmobiles and Tumblers (in both color schemes and re-releases) have sold out. Same with other niche cars like the Delorean from BttF. I have zero doubt it'd sell well and HT (or anyone else that's make it) would profit nicely from it.

Exactly my friend. All of the 1:6 vehicles sold out. The 66 is an iconic vehicle that would appeal to car enthusiast who are fans of the show and car. Hopefully hot toys will not scrap this. If a camo tumbler sold out, wth wouldn't the most well known and iconic vehicles ever made?

Exactly my friend. All of the 1:6 vehicles sold out. The 66 is an iconic vehicle that would appeal to car enthusiast who are fans of the show and car. Hopefully hot toys will not scrap this. If a camo tumbler sold out, wth wouldn't the most well known and iconic vehicles ever made?

Agreed. The Tumbler isn't even recognizable as a batmobile. If this doesn't get made the only reason has to be that they could not manufacture it. This car is guaranteed money.

Agreed. The Tumbler isn't even recognizable as a batmobile. If this doesn't get made the only reason has to be that they could not manufacture it. This car is guaranteed money.

That is exactly why I sold the tumbler. It did not read as a batmobile to me either. I was excited to see the Batman vs Superman batmobile shown. I thought I would have a consolation prize, but looks like that might be scrapped as well.

The Tumbler was cool in the 1st film but when Bane and all his buddys had one it kind of killed it for me. I thought i heard (not that that means anything) the size of the BvS car was a problem in 1/6 being over 3 feet long and 2 feet wide. But if it's in the JL film and Batman film i'm sure they will find a way and leave the 66 alone in a corner someplace forgotten.

Back