Hot Toys - Avengers Bruce Banner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this was posted here before, but a photo from Kidult Toyshop gives us an idea of how HT packaged the set:

10014564_644646402275013_632781911_n.jpg

It seems that HT recycled the styro tray for Hulk, and a vacu-form tray for Banner and the accessories sit on top of it. No sturdy slipcase like that of Demon Batman/Scarecrow.

Yeah I saw it... cheap :lol

its all good for me though, cancelled Banner and bought Grievous, I look at it like I got grievous for $100

Not sure if this was posted here before, but a photo from Kidult Toyshop gives us an idea of how HT packaged the set:

It seems that HT recycled the styro tray for Hulk, and a vacu-form tray for Banner and the accessories sit on top of it. No sturdy slipcase like that of Demon Batman/Scarecrow.

EDIT: Here's the exterior of the box for the set

1924715_644646405608346_621996426_n.jpg

That's what I meant. I mean, I you don't have hulk yet, this set makes sense but I think the packaging could've been better as far as it being a collectors set. It's just cheap.

I do have to say that the Packaging for the two pack figures is embarrassing. It's crap. They are better alone. Sideshow changed the date to April for the two pack but for Banner alone it still says September? Anyone know when Bruce will start shipping?

Wow, the packing for the 2 pack is definitely the laziest and most uncreative effort by HT yet. I think releasing the exact same figure within a set is cheapening for collectors in general. They should've released more single Hulks at a later date to account for the masses and to counter the crazy secondary market prices, rather than release a 2 pack. The stand alone Banner figure should of just came with the base and 2 pack extras.

The Banner figure is OK, but I think he's a $100 figure at best. $189.99 for this guy is absurd.

Can't believe they didn't include an extra hulk sculpt for the price. Seems like a truly missed opportunity by Hot Toys :(

You can believe that, but I don't. Pricing is based on a lot of things, many, many things. "What they think people will pay" is more of a fan negative reaction to price increases. Thats how I see it. its far more complex why prices go up than just that.. We don't know what stuff costs to produce. None of us know. We dont know licensing fees. We dont know what their artists make, there are probably dozens and dozens of production costs for making 1 figure which include who works on them, salaries, marketing, production, rent, insurance, shipping, materials, every little thing that goes into a company.

Look at Winter Soldier Black Widow is $189. Her Avengers figure sells for a little more than that on secondary market. And her IM2 was even more on secondary markets. So why doesnt Winter Soldier BW cost $220-250+ if you go by "what they think people will pay?"

A lot more things and reasons goes into pricing.

Yes, it is complex and it is based on many things. And none of us know for sure as we don't work for Hot Toys. But, the cold hard truth is that's how actual businesses operate. There are expenses, true, but there's also what the market will bear. I'm not saying that as some fan who's just guessing (and have you realized I LIKE the figure? It's not like I'm just bashing it to be negative.) how businesses work. I am quite aware of how things are priced and marketed thanks to my work, and Hot Toys isn't some special snow flake that doesn't follow those same theories! :D It's true that different companies have different cost structures, and I don't KNOW that this could have been cheaper. But, you really only need to look at comparable products they've put out to see that he is priced the way he is because that's what they think they can get for him. It doesn't mean they are evil. It's just a reality of business. It's VERY possible for companies to reduce their margins on products if they don't think a product will be successful at a certain price level, but there are lots of reasons to avoid that, too.

Your example of the WS Black Widow just illustrates that you don't understand what I'm talking about. It's not about the MAXIMUM of what people will pay. Secondary prices have nothing to do with it. It's about the price that people will pay at retail. To be honest, if Hot Toys didn't think that fans would pay that much for Bruce, he might not have even been made because they wouldn't have wanted to take a margin hit! There are a lot of reasons for companies to maintain a "base" price for a figure, even if that figure isn't as good a value.

I want Bruce to be successful because I'd like HT to make more of these "civilian" type characters. I want the promised Pepper Potts and Agent Carter, for instance. That's why I wish they'd have sweetened the pot a little more for collectors to be more enthusiastic about it.

Very well said!!! The sense of entitlement to some of these collectors just so immense that they think they owned the company as if they know how the company is run......

I love when the word "entitlement" gets thrown around, because I honestly am not sure some people understand what it means. In reality it seems to translate (in poster's minds) to "Someone has a different opinion for me and I'm going to take it weirdly personally so I will call them entitled." But what it actually means is that you think you have a right to something. I never said I have a right to get a Bruce Banner figure cheaper. I was just trying to say this idea that some people have that companies ALWAYS price things EXACTLY based on how much they cost to produce or to cover licensing or whatever is just a bit of fantasy. That's all PART of it, but a lot of it is what the market will bear. And again, it doesn't mean they are evil or bad! It's even entirely possible that, within a year, they budget these things out so that they don't have to charge quite as much for another figure. Take a look at the Chitauri figures. Those are actually really well priced considering all the new body tooling they require. Well, part of the way they might be able to set them at a certain price is that the make more margin on something like Banner while giving up some margin on the Chitauri.

Again, I'm not trying to be a know-it-all (there's lots I don't know!) but I was trying to offer some insight into what's going on here. In the end, the market will decide if this will be a success or not. Some of the comments here worry me a BIT, because I want him to be successful.

Last edited:
This will probably be still in stock for the next 10 years. Hope HT didn't produce too many of this. lol

And I heard SS isn't warehousing HT's stuff anymore, if its true, then HT's is gunna EAT this :lol

The Banner / Hulk 2 pack is listed as "less than 90 remaining". It may be because of the hulk, but it may not also.

Last edited:
Banner and Hulk already updated to April. Less then 90 remain on Sideshow. Banner alone is still appearing as September release

That banner date wil change they just using the first batch of the figure to go with The Hulk exclusive since it is a smaller production run the next batch will be used for the stand-alone banner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is complex and it is based on many things. And none of us know for sure as we don't work for Hot Toys. But, the cold hard truth is that's how actual businesses operate. There are expenses, true, but there's also what the market will bear. I'm not saying that as some fan who's just guessing (and have you realized I LIKE the figure? It's not like I'm just bashing it to be negative.) how businesses work. I am quite aware of how things are priced and marketed thanks to my work, and Hot Toys isn't some special snow flake that doesn't follow those same theories! :D It's true that different companies have different cost structures, and I don't KNOW that this could have been cheaper. But, you really only need to look at comparable products they've put out to see that he is priced the way he is because that's what they think they can get for him. It doesn't mean they are evil. It's just a reality of business. It's VERY possible for companies to reduce their margins on products if they don't think a product will be successful at a certain price level, but there are lots of reasons to avoid that, too.

Your example of the WS Black Widow just illustrates that you don't understand what I'm talking about. It's not about the MAXIMUM of what people will pay. Secondary prices have nothing to do with it. It's about the price that people will pay at retail. To be honest, if Hot Toys didn't think that fans would pay that much for Bruce, he might not have even been made because they wouldn't have wanted to take a margin hit! There are a lot of reasons for companies to maintain a "base" price for a figure, even if that figure isn't as good a value.

I want Bruce to be successful because I'd like HT to make more of these "civilian" type characters. I want the promised Pepper Potts and Agent Carter, for instance. That's why I wish they'd have sweetened the pot a little more for collectors to be more enthusiastic about it.

I love when the word "entitlement" gets thrown around, because I honestly am not sure some people understand what it means. In reality it seems to translate (in poster's minds) to "Someone has a different opinion for me and I'm going to take it weirdly personally so I will call them entitled." But what it actually means is that you think you have a right to something. I never said I have a right to get a Bruce Banner figure cheaper. I was just trying to say this idea that some people have that companies ALWAYS price things EXACTLY based on how much they cost to produce or to cover licensing or whatever is just a bit of fantasy. That's all PART of it, but a lot of it is what the market will bear. And again, it doesn't mean they are evil or bad! It's even entirely possible that, within a year, they budget these things out so that they don't have to charge quite as much for another figure. Take a look at the Chitauri figures. Those are actually really well priced considering all the new body tooling they require. Well, part of the way they might be able to set them at a certain price is that the make more margin on something like Banner while giving up some margin on the Chitauri.

Again, I'm not trying to be a know-it-all (there's lots I don't know!) but I was trying to offer some insight into what's going on here. In the end, the market will decide if this will be a success or not. Some of the comments here worry me a BIT, because I want him to be successful.

I appreciate your long response, but I just don't agree with some of it. And thats ok. We all have our own opinions. and sites like this tend to bring out the complaints, and usually negativity is taken more on a personal level than positive comments. Its just the way we are, we have our own opinions and we debate about them especially with negative comments.

Entitlement or spoiled. I 100% believe HTs has definitely spoiled ALL OF US. They make these amazing figures, we want every single one to be better than the next. And in most cases they are much better at every release. Debating about likeness, price, etc will always continue until the end of time. We all have our own feelings about it.

But in the end i hope we just all enjoy this hobby. I think they are amazing figures, by HTs and Sideshow. They are incredibly fun to collect and they make them of my favorite characters and movies. Thats all that really matters to me in the end. What others think, really doesnt matter, just try to enjoy the hobby. :)

I don't think spoiled is accurate either. What HT has done is created a product expectation, and they gladly charge for it whether it's warranted or a disaster piece. When a flurry of new products look like a step backwards yet still command top dollar it's alarming. I think this goes for any established high end company in any industry.

I appreciate your long response, but I just don't agree with some of it. And thats ok. We all have our own opinions. and sites like this tend to bring out the complaints, and usually negativity is taken more on a personal level than positive comments. Its just the way we are, we have our own opinions and we debate about them especially with negative comments.

I can appreciate that. There are times when I, frankly, don't understand what people are talking about when it comes to the head sculpts. I think Banner and BW both look great, overall. So I can understand getting frustrated. That's part of why I was confused why there was the need to "go after me" as it were, as I wasn't actually that negative about the figure. LOL. It felt like selectively picking one or two things I was saying out of context, and then trying to paint me with this general brush as though I was all down on the figure. :D I like the figure and I'm going to buy it. I was just saying a little extra here or there or bringing the price down might have helped make it more attractive to more people. But I also understand the business reasons they might not do that. So, it's cool either way. To be frank, other's opinions have little to no bearing on me when buying figures. I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like. So it makes having fun with collecting things easy.

I don't think spoiled is accurate either. What HT has done is created a product expectation, and they gladly charge for it whether it's warranted or a disaster piece. When a flurry of new products look like a step backwards yet still command top dollar it's alarming. I think this goes for any established high end company in any industry.

I think Hot Toy's high level of execution is what makes people harsh sometimes. I think it can be a bit overly harsh, as at this level tiny little "off" things can suddenly mean a figure is a "disaster." I think people tend to lose a bit of a sense of perspective, in that way. I have shown both Banner and WS Widow and people think they look perfect. But they also aren't necessarily spending the money on it, and they aren't as "into" the hobby, I suppose. I think the more people (especially when they are passionate enough to be on a board) get into it, the more likely they are to fall down the rabbit hole and look at these things with a very critical eye.

My personal feeling is that people sometimes go a bit overboard, but to each their own. :)

EDIT: Here's the exterior of the box for the set

1924715_644646405608346_621996426_n.jpg

Am hoping to see more of this set. Anyone stumble upon some reviews of this SET. Not a HULK only or Banner only.

Back