Hot Toys - Avengers Bruce Banner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom line is that nobody would care about the boxing or the pricing if the sculpt didn't look horrible by Hot Toys standards. When this was previewed it was hammered everywhere for looking horrible and they did nothing to remedy this. Everything else is irrelevant. See the Mandarin, Jor El, Cavill Superman for examples of the polar opposite of what's occurring here.

I can see both sides on this head sculpt... It does look like him from some pictures, and it doesn't if you go by other pictures. That's the issue for anyone doing a head sculpt - people aren't plastic, they move and change with expressions and with age. I think the best thing a person can do for sculpting is to pick an "iconic" expression for that figure when deciding how to sculpt it, otherwise you'll inevitably be criticized. And truth is, you'll probably be called "inimaginative" for going with the iconic look, so it's a win-win or lose-lose situation (depending on your philosophical slant). It definitely does and doesn't look like him, simultaneously - all you have to do is get a bunch of pics and compare and you'll see what I mean.

On the pricing, things tend only to go up, generally, until people stop buying... and then the producers find ways to cut corners so they can lower prices so people will buy again, but they're still not getting what they were before. As someone who does business on here and on Amazon and eBay regularly, and who makes his own stuff - yeah I like to get what it's worth, but something you might not be considering is this: Arts crafts and generally creative endeavors are rarely lucrative - I am working for far less than minimum wage on some projects and then people still come at me and say "why so much?" I have learned not to be bothered by it - much - because they simply don't know all the work and effort that goes into most things they take for granted. So I get less than what I consider some items to be worth when I consider my time and all (this isn't a complaint, I wouldn't do it if I didn't get some measure of enjoyment out of it too, but it is work as well and I have bills to pay like most of us here). When I can get what it IS worth, you better believe I'll jump at it - and who wouldn't? Frankly, there are some projects I would like to do - custom figures and such, which would require 3D printing. I'm not going there now, because I know the economy simply won't support what I'd really like to do at this point - so I pick and choose my projects. And like many of the creative people here, I'm a people pleaser so I have to balance pricing with pleasing.

Another point on pricing - the creative fields tend to be highly competitive - many people would probably love to work at Sideshow and Hot Toys and would do so for less money because it's competitive. So while some people think "wow $300 for a figure?? That's outrageous." Well, maybe, but then, I know how much work goes into the stuff I do, and I would suggest it's outrageous to think you can get quality product for less than that. It may be that the creative people have families now and need to pay bills like us, and can't work for peanuts - and they know what they're worth now too. So they get raises, so prices increase.

I'm not saying there isn't any greed and corruption in this industry - there is in every other facet of life, so it stands to reason there is here too, but yes... it is indeed complicated. They probably are cutting corners to save money on the boxing on this figure, wouldn't surprise me. Is it evil, prudent, or a little of both? Probably.

I'd love to do a Hulk head sculpt - an alternate one, one with his mouth closed, and one with him in full roar. Not going to happen now, because while I know I have the skills to do it, reality intrudes with the financial aspect - jeweler's wax, super sculpey, molding supplies and tools all cost money. Economic realities are... well... reality. I've been shipping Avengers Assemble figure environments - made 8. One box disappeared, another was smashed. They're insured, sure, but these hassles, having to spend the time on them... having seven - yes SEVEN - non-paying bidders in a row for the last one available on eBay... spending the time advertising... heck, I'm surprised Hot Toys doesn't charge more, but then I'm one guy, I don't have a shipping department, advertising department, design department, purchasing department, returns department, customer service department... and on and on and on. It's me, and while I love doing this, don't get me wrong it does have its moments... it is also work, and you will never never never, ever please all of the people. Ever. Never ever.

Why I got into all of this isn't a rant (I'm actually in a good mood as I'm writing this, it's been a good week this week), but to point out some of the things you're paying for when you buy a figure. It's not just the sculpt, outfit, figure, or box. It's a LOT more that you probably don't even think of, to keep the business running.

Cheers,
Ken

Did not read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear god! I have Banner/Hulk on preorder, and Iron Patriot and Ed-209. Why would they release all 3 in one month? It was bad enough having both IP and Ed in one month. I guess I'm getting Ed and IP in May. I hope they don't sell out.

Banner and Hulk already updated to April. Less then 90 remain on Sideshow. Banner alone is still appearing as September release

Dear god! I have Banner/Hulk on preorder, and Iron Patriot and Ed-209. Why would they release all 3 in one month? It was bad enough having both IP and Ed in one month. I guess I'm getting Ed and IP in May. I hope they don't sell out.

I know the feeling!

Over the holidays Hot Toys decided to release FIVE Iron Man related figure sets! :thud: I guess the execs needed to pay off their Ferrari's :lol

Not sure if this was posted here before, but a photo from Kidult Toyshop gives us an idea of how HT packaged the set:

10014564_644646402275013_632781911_n.jpg

It seems that HT recycled the styro tray for Hulk, and a vacu-form tray for Banner and the accessories sit on top of it. No sturdy slipcase like that of Demon Batman/Scarecrow.

EDIT: Here's the exterior of the box for the set

1924715_644646405608346_621996426_n.jpg

Apart from the pic of Banner, the front of the box even looks like the old Hulk box but bigger I guess? There is pretty much no originality put into this set at all. :thud:

Wow, the packing for the 2 pack is definitely the laziest and most uncreative effort by HT yet. I think releasing the exact same figure within a set is cheapening for collectors in general. They should've released more single Hulks at a later date to account for the masses and to counter the crazy secondary market prices, rather than release a 2 pack. The stand alone Banner figure should of just came with the base and 2 pack extras.

:exactly:

The only reason I am buying this, well... considering buying this is because I missed out on the first one. Now that one nearly cost as much as this one. So I figure it is better to buy this one than it is to buy the old Hulk at nearly the same price.

The Banner figure is OK, but I think he's a $100 figure at best. $189.99 for this guy is absurd.

I agree but no Hot Toys figure has ever been $100 right?

Can't believe they didn't include an extra hulk sculpt for the price. Seems like a truly missed opportunity by Hot Toys :(

Yeah I mean they could at least do that. BTW I see the combination Hulk/ Banner thread does not get updated so is this thread pretty much just for the Banner figure or for the set of the two figures as well?

I wonder when Sideshow will get this in. Still says September but the EX pack has changed to April.

I can see both sides on this head sculpt... It does look like him from some pictures, and it doesn't if you go by other pictures. That's the issue for anyone doing a head sculpt - people aren't plastic, they move and change with expressions and with age. I think the best thing a person can do for sculpting is to pick an "iconic" expression for that figure when deciding how to sculpt it, otherwise you'll inevitably be criticized. And truth is, you'll probably be called "inimaginative" for going with the iconic look, so it's a win-win or lose-lose situation (depending on your philosophical slant). It definitely does and doesn't look like him, simultaneously - all you have to do is get a bunch of pics and compare and you'll see what I mean.

On the pricing, things tend only to go up, generally, until people stop buying... and then the producers find ways to cut corners so they can lower prices so people will buy again, but they're still not getting what they were before. As someone who does business on here and on Amazon and eBay regularly, and who makes his own stuff - yeah I like to get what it's worth, but something you might not be considering is this: Arts crafts and generally creative endeavors are rarely lucrative - I am working for far less than minimum wage on some projects and then people still come at me and say "why so much?" I have learned not to be bothered by it - much - because they simply don't know all the work and effort that goes into most things they take for granted. So I get less than what I consider some items to be worth when I consider my time and all (this isn't a complaint, I wouldn't do it if I didn't get some measure of enjoyment out of it too, but it is work as well and I have bills to pay like most of us here). When I can get what it IS worth, you better believe I'll jump at it - and who wouldn't? Frankly, there are some projects I would like to do - custom figures and such, which would require 3D printing. I'm not going there now, because I know the economy simply won't support what I'd really like to do at this point - so I pick and choose my projects. And like many of the creative people here, I'm a people pleaser so I have to balance pricing with pleasing.

Another point on pricing - the creative fields tend to be highly competitive - many people would probably love to work at Sideshow and Hot Toys and would do so for less money because it's competitive. So while some people think "wow $300 for a figure?? That's outrageous." Well, maybe, but then, I know how much work goes into the stuff I do, and I would suggest it's outrageous to think you can get quality product for less than that. It may be that the creative people have families now and need to pay bills like us, and can't work for peanuts - and they know what they're worth now too. So they get raises, so prices increase.

I'm not saying there isn't any greed and corruption in this industry - there is in every other facet of life, so it stands to reason there is here too, but yes... it is indeed complicated. They probably are cutting corners to save money on the boxing on this figure, wouldn't surprise me. Is it evil, prudent, or a little of both? Probably.

I'd love to do a Hulk head sculpt - an alternate one, one with his mouth closed, and one with him in full roar. Not going to happen now, because while I know I have the skills to do it, reality intrudes with the financial aspect - jeweler's wax, super sculpey, molding supplies and tools all cost money. Economic realities are... well... reality. I've been shipping Avengers Assemble figure environments - made 8. One box disappeared, another was smashed. They're insured, sure, but these hassles, having to spend the time on them... having seven - yes SEVEN - non-paying bidders in a row for the last one available on eBay... spending the time advertising... heck, I'm surprised Hot Toys doesn't charge more, but then I'm one guy, I don't have a shipping department, advertising department, design department, purchasing department, returns department, customer service department... and on and on and on. It's me, and while I love doing this, don't get me wrong it does have its moments... it is also work, and you will never never never, ever please all of the people. Ever. Never ever.

Why I got into all of this isn't a rant (I'm actually in a good mood as I'm writing this, it's been a good week this week), but to point out some of the things you're paying for when you buy a figure. It's not just the sculpt, outfit, figure, or box. It's a LOT more that you probably don't even think of, to keep the business running.

Cheers,
Ken
Great post, Ken.

Did not read.
It's always weird to me when people are proud to be ignorant. *shrugs*

Back