Hot Toys - Artist Collection - AVP: Samurai Predator 1/6 Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hong Kong Ani-Com 2011: Hot Toys SAMURAI PREDATOR (Collectible Statue)

They look cool to me. :dunno
And still look goofy as ____ to me. Especially on an 8 foot tall space alien hunter.

The Samurai Lesson of the Downpour has had a very positive effect on my life and attitude.
Nothing wrong with that..armor is my only issue with them.

Oh, and I see you have posted another comment.

Dunno what word your using..I was thinking "racist", but there's an "an" in front of it..

But yeah, I have no problem with Asians. Dunno why anyone would think so just because I hate the goofy looking samurai armor...

390906_247666708628446_100001553550102_704926_2047868039_n.jpg

Now that's the meanest lookin' Pred I've seen! :rock

Darn, the price is killin' me but still this is a must-have for me. Everything about it looks cool to me esp. that freakin' base. :yess: I'm just not sure w/ the color of the Alien there. :cuckoo:

No matter, will pre-order this bad boy! :lecture

Re: Hot Toys - Artist Collection: SAMURAI PREDATOR (Sixth Scale Figure)

erm..does he also have a beard? Looks like it in that pic..

I'm just not sure w/ the color of the Alien there.

If memories served me right, they're red xenomorph, some kind of genetically-altered xeno from Alien:Genocide comics. The only thing I'm unsure is these Xenomorphs got dome head, but those in comics aren't. Perhaps it's artist's choice?

If memories served me right, they're red xenomorph, some kind of genetically-altered xeno from Alien:Genocide comics. The only thing I'm unsure is these Xenomorphs got dome head, but those in comics aren't. Perhaps it's artist's choice?

Hmm probably. Thanks for that info.:wink1:

Looking for somthing different? Giger's incredibly unique and detailed creations weren't good enough for you, so you thought they'd be better red and yellow?

If you're going to pull the "not real" card..then let's just trash the whole god damn franchise. Let's make Ripley a one-eyed Twi'lek Hobbit and turn the Xenomorphs into spikey, fire-breathing marshmallows..

Seriously

LOL. I swear, some are even more sensitive than a woman on the rag defending a make believe extraterrestrial.

And that's the problem, this isn't a franchise release. It's from two independent HK artists.

Artistic license for a project like this is fine, but criticism (due to that artistic license) comes with the territory. It's the equivalent of someone doing a Hulk statue and making it Pink with yellow polka dots.

Anyone who doesn't think that would be bashed is crazy.

Based on the previous incarnations of the character, they're ALWAYS dark/black in color. That's how they're always represented. When people decide (on their own) to change an established character, especially something distinct like the color scheme, then they shouldn't be shocked when people hate it. Simple.

tastethexeno.jpg

:wave

That Alien looks actually pretty good. Out of the ordinary. Could you make a dark metallic blue one with a hint of purple?

If you just look at it as a "make believe extraterrestrial", then you need to get the ____ out of here.

Giger's Alien is one of, if not the most unique and disturbing creations on this planet. I don't see how any fan could say such harsh things about it..

And what's with the whole sensitive ____? I simply don't like my favorite creations being shat upon like they are in this statue.

It's unfortunate how souless most Humans are.

Birth, eat, sleep, poop, hump, die...seriously

Not liking the horse teeth....

I'm loving this samurai pred. Might have to get it. I hope HT doesn't screw it up like they did classic.

Whoa!!!!! Wait a minute this costs 360 dollars???? O well I guess I'll just keep admiring pictures. Crazy ass prices.

Last edited:

This looks interesting but 360 is a bit on the crazy side. Maybe if bbts gets it and it's closer to 300 but I still don't know. I like it but not at the price they're asking.

I've got to say this is the lamest idea and worst looking Hot Toys figure ever.
It looks horrible and not worth what they're asking for it.
This will be on the gift card list I bet.

Yup.. it's like arguing the color of a zebra. They're black and white, period. There's no "opinion" or "preference" when it comes to that. That's just what color they are. Same with the Aliens from that franchise.

Can you color a Zebra purple and yellow? Absolutely. Doesn't magically mean it's correct. It just means someone took some creative license with the coloring. Like the artists did with this figure and the Aliens on the base.

A good post. I think it shows quite well why this figure is creating such controversy. Those who don't like it see that it can't be reconciled to the known Predetor/Alien universe. But that's not the point of this figure.

We talked about it a lot towards the beginning of the thread. This figure is based on a statue which is from the mind of an artist. It's not meant to fit into Pred/Alien cannon. Think of it as beautiful fan fic. The character design of Predator is the best thing about it and it's going to inspire people. Why is it anyone's business if an artist creates something outside of cannon? Why should anyone care if Hot Toys chooses to make a figure based on that artist's vision?

If you just look at it as a "make believe extraterrestrial", then you need to get the ____ out of here.

Giger's Alien is one of, if not the most unique and disturbing creations on this planet. I don't see how any fan could say such harsh things about it..

And what's with the whole sensitive ____? I simply don't like my favorite creations being shat upon like they are in this statue.

It's unfortunate how souless most Humans are.

Birth, eat, sleep, poop, hump, die...seriously

I get that this stuff is important to you, but the existence of this figure and the fact that people like it is evidence of humans being souless???

:rotfl

Yeah, but remember, Aliens are not real, they are fantasy. They can be any color the artist of the certain franchise chooses it to be.
And that's the problem, this isn't a franchise release. It's from two independent HK artists.

Artistic license for a project like this is fine, but criticism (due to that artistic license) comes with the territory. It's the equivalent of someone doing a Hulk statue and making it Pink with yellow polka dots.

Anyone who doesn't think that would be bashed is crazy.

Exactly right. The only difference is that a HULK with yellow polka dots is objectively retarded. The Samurai on the other hand are (almost) universally loved. I would think that's especially true in the Asian community.

I think this will be a popular figure.

I don't have much to say about the Alien color. It's just the base/accessory after all, but I do think the color looks cool.

I have to say I do like the articulation in the knees though. Maybe hot toys added a double knee joint to the newer bodies? That could be promising

While the $360 seems outrageous on the face of it (and compared with iron monger and common sense it is) when you see that people on ebay usually pay at least this amount for any of the older non-Predators movie predators and up to $1000 or more I think there will be demand for this especially later on. There probably won't be very many of them made either. In an era where Hot Toys is remaking a lot of their figures this could be one of those that will appreciate nicely and be sought after down the road.

:exactly: :lecture :lecture

Looking for somthing different? Giger's incredibly unique and detailed creations weren't good enough for you, so you thought they'd be better red and yellow?

If you're going to pull the "not real" card..then let's just trash the whole god damn franchise. Let's make Ripley a one-eyed Twi'lek Hobbit and turn the Xenomorphs into spikey, fire-breathing marshmallows..

Seriously

Just want to speak to this for a second.

I understand loving a story or franchise. For me, my first love is Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings - especially the books. Some of the changes in the movies were hard to take, but I kept reminding myself that the existence of the movies didn't have to diminish the books. Peter Jackson didn't go around and burn them all. True Tolkien cannon still exists, and I have learned to love both that and the movies on their own merits.

Just because a figure has been created that doesn't fit into true Predator/Alien cannon doesn't mean you can't still cherish that cannon. This figure doesn't take away from the stories and characters that you love IN ANY WAY. If you can't find a way to appreciate this figure on its own merits then don't buy it. On the other hand, if you do warm up to the figure and see it as a beautiful piece of art, that doesn't mean that you have somehow betrayed H. R. Giger, or Stan Winston, or the Thomas brothers, or Dan O'Bannon. This figure exists OUTSIDE OF THAT WORLD.

:lol

..I understand all of that completely.

Trust me, I am strong enough to not let the fact that this figure/statue is made affect me.
As a HUGE Alien fan, I don't see how any other fan could enjoy seeing this though. As I've said before, it just looks like a deformed Alien with ketchup and mustard squirted all over it.

As for the souless Human thing.. That was in response to the whole "made up ET" comment, not the fact that this statue exists.
And yeah, I haven't come across another Human who wasn't a big, worthless waste of space.

..now I'm going to walk away from my laptop and watch the Jimmy Fallon show..

why are people calling this is a statue? it's a figure, right? says over 22 pts of articulation in the specs??

why are people calling this is a statue? it's a figure, right? says over 22 pts of articulation in the specs??

The confusion is that there is a statue and a figure. I refer you to Devil's post:

Actually it should be changed back to "statue" and a new thread should be made for the 1/6 scale figure. Two different products.

This is the Statue (that this thread was made for):
p5.jpg

And this is the 1/6 scale figure:
303749_247667265295057_100001553550102_704930_1359626369_n.jpg

However, I still see a right shoulder joint in the "statue"...

Back