Hot Toys - Artist Collection - AVP: Samurai Predator 1/6 Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the statue was a one-time deal that HT hired some artists to put together, with plans to turn it into a mass-produced articulated collectible. That's the vibe I'm getting from what Hot Toys has said; what we saw at Ani-Com was the artwork (or prototype, if you will) on which the final piece will be based.

Dont think im gonna be able to pick this guy up due to the price, but i would love to see the detail and armor applied to some hot toys seven samurai figures from the classic kurasawa flick. That would be some grail figures right there.

I like how Hot Toys has taken a new approach to the Predator license. I like what they did with this guy and he's really unique......but for $360 dollars! WTH are you thinking Hot Toys!

Re: Hot Toys - Artist Collection: SAMURAI PREDATOR (Sixth Scale Figure)

ASadFace300dpiPICT4599.jpg
It is sad..worthless race of ignorant, souless douchebags.

Exactly right. The only difference is that a HULK with yellow polka dots is objectively retarded. The Samurai on the other hand are (almost) universally loved.

FYI Maglor: Both of my posts you quoted and responded to were about the color choice for the Aliens on the base. NOT about the actual Predator figure itself (which your responses seemed focused on). I personally don't have a problem with the whole Samurai motif for the Pred.

Not a fan of the stylized face design though.

But yeah.. my posts were about the fruity, skittles-inspired paint job for the Aliens which BTW seems to be an Asia-centric thing since that's the only region with artists pumping out that kind of product (Narin has made numerous states of Preds/Aliens with fruity color schemes as well).

I still see a right shoulder joint in the "statue"...

You weren't the only one. But now that pics of the 1/6 scale proto are out it's obvious that the Pred on that statue was NOT this figure.

p3.jpg

Look at the wrists (where the ball joint should be) and the left arm (where the elbow joint should be) on the statue. Now compare that to the 1/6 scale figure.

Black wrist ball joints + elbow joint:
111125123005e2ec37237c4777.jpg

And regarding the "shoulder joint" that statue isn't a single sculpted piece. It was a kit MADE by two HK artists known for making kits (Fewture Models) i.e. separate pieces (arms, legs, torso, etc.) you glue together and paint.

Re: Hong Kong Ani-Com 2011: Hot Toys SAMURAI PREDATOR (Collectible Statue)

While the $360 seems outrageous on the face of it (and compared with iron monger and common sense it is) when you see that people on ebay usually pay at least this amount for any of the older non-Predators movie predators and up to $1000 or more I think there will be demand for this especially later on. There probably won't be very many of them made either. In an era where Hot Toys is remaking a lot of their figures this could be one of those that will appreciate nicely and be sought after down the road.

Difference being is that this is not a knwon character with existing fanbase, plus price go up from retail in the after-market meaning some will get this just to put it in eBay to sell for more to make a profit.

I love the attention to detail on this guy, but I just can't grasp the concept. Predator has always been a very, VERY realistic creature, and the anime proportions on this thing doesn't do it for me. It just looks like a muscular samurai with a semi-predator-ish head. They didn't even bother to put in any pred-characteristics in terms of the body patterns.

It seems like the basic idea was: "Slap some mandibles and dreads onto a humanoid form and you got a predator."

It really doesn't feel inspired by the basic predator design, and the face really lacks the features that the classic Predators have. The inhuman elements of the original Predators are severely lacking from this statue. And is that... a beard???

As SS said it's just some demonic J-guy with wormdreads and mandibles.
OH, and with evil-horse-mug ofcourse:

horsemugpredator.jpg

. . .

So overall it's a great piece for Japanese art fans.
That's all :dunno

Yup.. it's like arguing the color of a zebra. They're black and white, period. There's no "opinion" or "preference" when it comes to that. That's just what color they are. Same with the Aliens from that franchise.

Can you color a Zebra purple and yellow? Absolutely. Doesn't magically mean it's correct. It just means someone took some creative license with the coloring. Like the artists did with this figure and the Aliens on the base.

Looks stupid IMO. Never been a fan of Skittles inspired Aliens.

“Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid.”
- Jules Feiffer

but you're right, i agree with you. skittle spattered xenos....what were they thinking?? i blame those pony bronies...

this must be a trend.
MLP_predator.jpg

:lol

If you just look at it as a "make believe extraterrestrial", then you need to get the ____ out of here.

Giger's Alien is one of, if not the most unique and disturbing creations on this planet. I don't see how any fan could say such harsh things about it..

And what's with the whole sensitive ____? I simply don't like my favorite creations being shat upon like they are in this statue.

It's unfortunate how souless most Humans are.

Birth, eat, sleep, poop, hump, die...seriously

Whatever you say man. Besides, I'm not here to agree with you or become your friend. I'm here to discuss the figure based on a mske believe extraterrestrial.

Again, why do you get so touchy and defensive when I tell you this because, whether you like it or not, it is not real? It is something that came out of a human being's mind. You like it, great.

If you really don't like this figure, or the base, or find this hurting your feelings and insulting your favorite Alien, why keep coming? You are acting like those fenales that get beat up and still continue living with the man that abuses them.

This figure will be released regardless and your constant moaning and bashing and crying will not change that. You are taking this to the extreme and this should be an enjoyable hobby, not a fighting cage.

“Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid.”
- Jules Feiffer

but you're right, i agree with you. skittle spattered xenos....what were they thinking?? i blame those pony bronies...

this must be a trend.
MLP_predator.jpg

:lol

Now that I would not buy!!! I just don't like that shade of blue, shame.

"You are souless.":rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

"Waste of space":slap
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

They say it is based on the 2004 AVP movie.

Yeah well it's surely based on the concept of Aliens versus Predators, but it's not like this thing is a character in a movie (Hence the term, movie masterpiece?)

Wait, was Machiko a movie masterpiece as well? I don't remember.

Back