Hot Toys - Aquaman - Aquaman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. I wasn’t saying that I was completely shocked that we didn’t get more DC announcements. I understand that they would make more Marvel and Star Wars figures than DC, right now. But I was surprised that they showed almost nothing. I’m sure if they had made more Nolan Batman figures a lot of people would have been completely thrilled with that. Also, I think whatever the current state of the current DC films, some characters like Superman, Batman, and Joker, I think will always sell pretty well.

Exactly .!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the trolls bashing DC/Aquaman figures hoping to cause low sales would pretty much guarantee nomore figures from the movie if they suceed.

Wow, sensitive much? A few people voice their displeasure over the look/execution of this figure and you immediately label them trolls that want to cause low sales? I've got the JL Aquaman on order and was very much looking forward to this figure (not to mention Mera), but what they've shown us is IMO below par. If you like it you're entitled to that opinion, but the name calling is unnecessary.

Hmm, I would have preferred a figure to represent him in his own movie, but I like the JL suit better. Not sure if I should order that one or wait and see if this version grows on me or until maybe another version gets made that I like AND is a look from Aquaman and not JL.

BvS wasn't well received and all those figures sold really well. All the other DC figure lines and Prime 1 have made each of the JL characters. Zero excuse for HT skipping Cyborg and then wondering why people are cancelling pre-orders on the others.

Plenty of DC stuff they could have done outside of the current DCEU anyway. What a waste of time that Kevin Feige figure will be. There is more demand for that than a Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman....really?

Batfleck in 1/4 scale would sell out very fast. Keaton & Reeve would be popular in that scale to. They could have done something interesting like a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman or actually release that 1/4 scale Arnold from T1 they teased years back.

HT were far more interesting 5 years ago. When the current MCU has run it's course they might regret alienating so many collectors with the endless Iron Man crap.

I think comparing Prime1 to HT is a bit of a stretch simply because of the price and production volume difference. No doubt they sell well, but they have a very specific audience by their very nature and offer lower edition sizes. Do I think it was uncouth to skip Cyborg? Yes - but I won't put up the horse blinders and say that it doesn't make sense.

The Kevin Feige argument is getting old - that figure, if it happens, a massive if, is going to be so limited. There's not a big audience, it's a super niche item that is easy to produce and explicitly a novelty. It doesn't compare to a full production run of a Catwoman or Penguin (which should happen! Just not now.). But there's no hype, no nothing to bring those two in right now. You need to strike when the iron is hot, and DC isn't hot right now.

They JUST released a 1/4 Batman, why would they go and reveal another now? You don't want to cannibalize the sales of another item. What happens when people say "you know? I want Battfleck instead" and they cancel their Bale? And how long until we get what's left of the DCEU flipped on its head and it's a new Batman? Or new Superman? This whole situation at WB is assed up. It's not wise for HT to gun for this area right now.

DC isn't big right now. In fact, it's tripping on tied laces. Why in the world would a company, out to make money, put even more resources into a questionable profit source? Marvel is successful and HT should rightfully put their manpower into what profitable for them.

The Arkham series is the most interesting and the line with the most potential of any DC area they can offer, as it merges film style with classic design. If I were calling the shots, I would have had more of that out; Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, Two face. I wish they would have. But I'm glad it's getting attention as is, and I think that's happening because the movie stuff is so up in the air. We're about to get the coolest Deathstroke you can imagine and a fantastic Batgirl from HT - that's pretty good!

You must be a marvel fan ...

Sure am. My Marvel figures are displayed right next to a detolf full of DC figures, with three preoders locked in to add to it.

Wow, sensitive much? A few people voice their displeasure over the look/execution of this figure and you immediately label them trolls that want to cause low sales? I've got the JL Aquaman on order and was very much looking forward to this figure (not to mention Mera), but what they've shown us is IMO below par. If you like it you're entitled to that opinion, but the name calling is unnecessary.

Exactly, I hardly think constructive criticisms of this figure makes us trolls. Right now it just doesn't look good. The arm positions makes it look comical, I hope it's just posed very badly rather than a reflection on the articulation. The Iron Studios Aquaman looks a lot better.

Diuu29tWsAAaZ4n.jpg

Not seeing Mera was a big disappointment, really thought she'd be there. Black Manta would make an awesome figure but we know HT are always reluctant to make non Batman DC villains. Fingers crossed we get both of those.

I think comparing Prime1 to HT is a bit of a stretch simply because of the price and production volume difference. No doubt they sell well, but they have a very specific audience by their very nature and offer lower edition sizes. Do I think it was uncouth to skip Cyborg? Yes - but I won't put up the horse blinders and say that it doesn't make sense.

The Kevin Feige argument is getting old - that figure, if it happens, a massive if, is going to be so limited. There's not a big audience, it's a super niche item that is easy to produce and explicitly a novelty. It doesn't compare to a full production run of a Catwoman or Penguin (which should happen! Just not now.). But there's no hype, no nothing to bring those two in right now. You need to strike when the iron is hot, and DC isn't hot right now.

They JUST released a 1/4 Batman, why would they go and reveal another now? You don't want to cannibalize the sales of another item. What happens when people say "you know? I want Battfleck instead" and they cancel their Bale? And how long until we get what's left of the DCEU flipped on its head and it's a new Batman? Or new Superman? This whole situation at WB is assed up. It's not wise for HT to gun for this area right now.

DC isn't big right now. In fact, it's tripping on tied laces. Why in the world would a company, out to make money, put even more resources into a questionable profit source? Marvel is successful and HT should rightfully put their manpower into what profitable for them.

The Arkham series is the most interesting and the line with the most potential of any DC area they can offer, as it merges film style with classic design. If I were calling the shots, I would have had more of that out; Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, Two face. I wish they would have. But I'm glad it's getting attention as is, and I think that's happening because the movie stuff is so up in the air. We're about to get the coolest Deathstroke you can imagine and a fantastic Batgirl from HT - that's pretty good!

Sure am. My Marvel figures are displayed right next to a detolf full of DC figures, with three preoders locked in to add to it.

Not just Prime 1. Multiple other figure lines produced all of the league, Cyborg included. It makes no sense for HT to skip him and will cost them in sales of the other characters. If they want to be half assed about it give the licence to someone else.

The Kevin Feige figure is just one example of the Marvel excess. Endless Iron Man figures, every conceivable armour, plastic and diecast, in two scales. It's just tedious. The storm trooper repaints and even some of the Batman repaints were pointless(black chrome and that weird Batman/Joker thing).

No hype for Catwoman? There is certainly a lot of demand judging by the constant requests for her to be made

They just released Bale in 1/4 scale but that's no reason to not release the other's. The Keaton and Affleck styles are completely different from each other and Bale not to mention the Arkham looks or comic book if they ever went that route. A lot more variety than all the Downey Jr Iron Men.

I completely reject the notion that DC isn't big right now. The core characters especially Batman and Superman will always be huge pop culture icons. Wonder Woman is certainly striking a chord right now as did Harley Quinn despite being in a terrible movie. A Catwoman figure would make money...assuming it's not Halle Berry.

DC is still very popular regardless of WB not handling the live action movies very well. Even that ship has been righted somewhat since JL. Wonder Woman will keep making money, Aquaman and Shazam appear to be in good hands.

Not just Prime 1. Multiple other figure lines produced all of the league, Cyborg included. It makes no sense for HT to skip him and will cost them in sales of the other characters. If they want to be half assed about it give the licence to someone else.

The Kevin Feige figure is just one example of the Marvel excess. Endless Iron Man figures, every conceivable armour, plastic and diecast, in two scales. It's just tedious. The storm trooper repaints and even some of the Batman repaints were pointless(black chrome and that weird Batman/Joker thing).

No hype for Catwoman? There is certainly a lot of demand judging by the constant requests for her to be made

They just released Bale in 1/4 scale but that's no reason to not release the other's. The Keaton and Affleck styles are completely different from each other and Bale not to mention the Arkham looks or comic book if they ever went that route. A lot more variety than all the Downey Jr Iron Men.

I completely reject the notion that DC isn't big right now. The core characters especially Batman and Superman will always be huge pop culture icons. Wonder Woman is certainly striking a chord right now as did Harley Quinn despite being in a terrible movie. A Catwoman figure would make money...assuming it's not Halle Berry.

DC is still very popular regardless of WB not handling the live action movies very well. Even that ship has been righted somewhat since JL. Wonder Woman will keep making money, Aquaman and Shazam appear to be in good hands.

That which is out is still on the shelves, and I suspect what will come out, will remain till discount too. I'll happily come back and eat crow if the vast majority products representing a weak Cyborg design sell out.

There's no reason to be so hung up on the Feige figure! If it happens, it will be a very limited run because HT isn't stupid, even Stan Lee hung around. Feige is for a very niche audience and the release numbers will reflect that. You can't go and cite numerous Iron Man variants and even Batman ones, only to turn around and request each one in 1/4 and more - that's a double standard in place. Of course Batman will always sell, why do you think they keep putting him in DC movies hoping that he'll save the day?

1/4 is a massive commitment. Whether it applies to you or not, people have to pick and choose both by funds and space with the scale. Sure HT can **** out every Batman ever designed in that scale, but people will tap out, and you've got surplus of stock. And again - Batman is going to change hard in the next 3 years. Why commit to something that is questionably timeless? The Nolan style proved itself to be that.

Justice league is 28th in box office for Superhero movies. 28th. If that isn't telling that there is a burn out and a massive problem with the DC film universe, then nothing will convince you. The ****ing Justice League lies just short of 30 movies back from the best. Does that sound right? Of course not. And it shouldn't be that way. People don't want this version of the DC world and it's becoming apparent. I'm VERY interested to see how the Aquaman box office performs. So reject the notion all you want, but by pushing the staple sales like Batman and Superman as you cite, you too will land yourself in the Iron Man boat you so wish to criticize.

Look at the shift in films, more solo movies, more offshoots (Phoenix Joker). Warner is moving away from "The Justice League" as we've been presented. Aquaman looks alright at best right now, with CG shots worthy of an early 2000's film. PotC had better visuals at the time. People still are divided on the Momoa Aquaman (I think he's the best they could have picked - I hope, truly the film delivers). If you stood in Hot Toys' shoes, could you really look at what is coming and see it as a sound investment with such a history of ambiguity? You know you're in trouble when a universe with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman seemingly is hanging on the performance of Shazam of all things.

Do not mistake my words though, I WANT an awesome DC universe. I WANT to see Arkham realized with a full roster of awesome representations of Batman's gallery. I want to see Bryan Cranston as Luthor toying with Superman. I want to see a quality, creepy Justice League dark. But it's not happening with the way it is being handled.

I'm honestly surprised they even showed Aquaman - in the event someone would want this rough proto over the JL one, it's a cannibalization of their own product.

As cool as classics are - they are a risk. We may request them but we are a small sample of a much larger population. If I had my way, we'd have a new T2 line, but I know the interest in these zones are dwindling day by day. Everything we discuss with HT has to be Video Game or Film, that's how it is with them. They don't do comics. They don't do the TV series. So no matter how popular comics remain, it is irrelevant to HT.

Exactly, I hardly think constructive criticisms of this figure makes us trolls. Right now it just doesn't look good. The arm positions makes it look comical, I hope it's just posed very badly rather than a reflection on the articulation. The Iron Studios Aquaman looks a lot better.

Diuu29tWsAAaZ4n.jpg

Not seeing Mera was a big disappointment, really thought she'd be there. Black Manta would make an awesome figure but we know HT are always reluctant to make non Batman DC villains. Fingers crossed we get both of those.

The thing that stands out about the IRON STUDIOS Aquaman statue is that the costume seems different out of all the other ones such as Hot Toys. If you look at his pants, it looks like there's glitter embedded into it. Visually I think it looks great and I hope its like that in the movie. It makes the costume pop and gives his outfit character. If you look at the Hot Toys and other Aquaman figures and statues that were revealed, the pants is just a dull dark green.

Here's a better image
1125x682_previewbanner_903802_AquamanStatue.jpg

The thing that stands out about the IRON STUDIOS Aquaman statue is that the costume seems different out of all the other ones such as Hot Toys. If you look at his pants, it looks like there's glitter embedded into it. Visually I think it looks great and I hope its like that in the movie. It makes the costume pop and gives his outfit character. If you look at the Hot Toys and other Aquaman figures and statues that were revealed, the pants is just a dull dark green.

Here's a better image
1125x682_previewbanner_903802_AquamanStatue.jpg

Wolfguy likes Aquaman like he likes his strippers....glittery!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume that the Hot Toys figure was on show to just kind of say "Hey, we're definitely doing this." It's clearly unfinished, there's no way that they're reusing the JL headsculpt. Even if that WERE the final product, there's no way it'd ship in that state. They've always been receptive to customer criticism - look at the initial reveal for the Battfleck and compare that to the finished product. Y'all need to calm down.

I just think that they could have give us other options.. like not the same head sculpt.. I just think that hot toys when it comes to dc figures they don’t put any effort like they do in the Marvel figures ...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've displayed Marvel stuff with old sculpts before. Think the last Capt A release is still re-using old sculpts.

Would have loved to see a blonde comic book Arthur Curry head sculpt included with this - or as an exclusive. But if wishes were fishes...

Yeah, that side by side comparison convinced me even more to either get the JL version or wait for an entirely different one. JL custome just looks cooler, more mature, actually suits the character better imo. But I personally don't care about the comics, I get that those who do might prefer the comic accurate look.

Back