Hot Toys 1/6 - Hellboy (2019) MMS527

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point do you guys really want it based on a movie? Or because it's Hellboy because for me that's what it is. Was the film bad yeah it was, did I like it? I did but my reasons for getting this is I can own a 1/6th Hellboy finally as I love the character and read the comics.

At this point do you guys really want it based on a movie? Or because it's Hellboy because for me that's what it is. Was the film bad yeah it was, did I like it? I did but my reasons for getting this is I can own a 1/6th Hellboy finally as I love the character and read the comics.

:goodpost:

100%

Completely agree, I haven't even seen this particular film yet. For me I'm picking him up because: 1- he Hellboy; 2 - its a great looking figure.

Of the the three live action films this is the one that actually feels like comic book Hellboy, rather than del Toro lifting the character and doing his own thing with him.

On the 2019 movie in Mignola's own words:

Again, it’s so surreal to me to see so much of it that’s lifted directly from the comic. Some of the pieces are moved around and some of the scenes are longer than what I did and some are shorter than what I did. I’d never before had the experience on set where I looked around and went, Holy crap, this is straight outta the comic. The day I was on set in Bulgaria, it was the Wild Hunt out in a field. So there’s Hellboy on horseback and the Wild Hunt guys looked so close to the design that Duncan Fegredo did in the comic. That was pretty surreal. And the costume for Lobster Johnson is spot-on, or 99 percent exactly what was in the comic. That’s taken a lot of getting used to, seeing my work so represented on screen. So that was pretty cool.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/mike-mignola-hellboy-neil-marshall.html

I discovered Hellboy through del Toro's film, and was then inspired to read the comics and novels. I realised that Perlman, aside from the superficial appearance, wasn't really comic book Hellboy, but rather a different entity: movie Hellboy.

With Marshall's film, Harbour isn't as an aesthetically pleasing as Perlman's version, but he and his world do feel more like the books. It bridges the gap far more closely.

Besides, I'd far rather re-watch this film numerous times than be forced to sit through some other efforts from 2019 which gained higher praise, such as the dreary Taxi Driver remake, Joker, or the incredibly tedious John Wick 3.

Marshall's film just gives the impression that there was so much they wanted to show, but with little chance of being awarded a trilogy to tell it they were compelled to compress it into one.

Of the the three live action films this is the one that actually feels like comic book Hellboy, rather than del Toro lifting the character and doing his own thing with him.

On the 2019 movie in Mignola's own words:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/mike-mignola-hellboy-neil-marshall.html

I discovered Hellboy through del Toro's film, and was then inspired to read the comics and novels. I realised that Perlman, aside from the superficial appearance, wasn't really comic book Hellboy, but rather a different entity: movie Hellboy.

With Marshall's film, Harbour isn't as an aesthetically pleasing as Perlman's version, but he and his world do feel more like the books. It bridges the gap far more closely.

Besides, I'd far rather re-watch this film numerous times than be forced to sit through some other efforts from 2019 which gained higher praise, such as the dreary Taxi Driver remake, Joker, or the incredibly tedious John Wick 3.

Marshall's film just gives the impression that there was so much they wanted to show, but with little chance of being awarded a trilogy to tell it they were compelled to compress it into one.
I agree with this but there was still a few similarities to del toro's films in terms of how hellboy acted, and his relationship with broom. I believe had the producers who were involved, didn't interfere with the director's script, and decisions we might have gotten a very good Hellboy reboot. But regardless the film had some good moments the Sequence with Baba Yaga was really good and I wanted there to be more of that in film. This version was close to the comics but was about 60% the Hellboy from the comics. Overall I'm excited to get this in hand soon. Let's hope he comes in this month.

I agree with this but there was still a few similarities to del toro's films in terms of how hellboy acted, and his relationship with broom. I believe had the producers who were involved, didn't interfere with the director's script, and decisions we might have gotten a very good Hellboy reboot. But regardless the film had some good moments the Sequence with Baba Yaga was really good and I wanted there to be more of that in film. This version was close to the comics but was about 60% the Hellboy from the comics. Overall I'm excited to get this in hand soon. Let's hope he comes in this month.

Agreed. It's why I see it as bridging the gap more closely between the different media. I like the del Toro films for what they were, but Marshal took it to a step closer.

I liked del Toro's films well enough to get two of ARToys' Perlman Hellboys, Sideshow's Abe and Hellboy, and TiTToys' SS officer Kroenen.

Sideshow's Hellboy isn't really up to putting on show any more as he's so skinny and floppy, but I kept parts from him on display, such as the stone sword and grenade bandolier. His belt (without holster) was donated to a Liz Sherman bash.

I always want a Selma Blair Liz Sherman figure.. sadly one of the never gonna be made by Hot Toys ever.

I'm surprised no third party company ever made a movie Liz. There's an outside chance considering some of those companies are currently looking to older movies for inspiration, but for Alice I'd estimate zero possibility given the film's general reception. lol

I put a Liz together from spare parts using a TS Toys Rorty (aka Rowdy) sculpt, Rowdy's T-shirt and leather jacket, VeryCool black shooter trousers and boots, and Sideshow Hellboy's belt without the holster. For years I had this tiny brass cross on a short chain, and no idea where it came from, but it fitted the neck of the figure. As a finishing touch I found that the flaming cigarette from Mezco's Liz scaled pretty well for 1/6.

As she was only from whatever spares I had I think of her as a movie/comic blend.

When Hot Toys announced the 2019 Hellboy I wanted to put together an Alice Monaghan to give him some company, and use up some more spares (!) I'd had an old Doctor Who Martha Jones languishing in a box for years which looked somewhat like Sasha with her hair up, so I bashed an approximation.

I'm surprised no third party company ever made a movie Liz. There's an outside chance considering some of those companies are currently looking to older movies for inspiration, but for Alice I'd estimate zero possibility given the film's general reception. lol

Me too! I really hope someday there will be a 3rd party company that will make a proper movie Liz.
Just like you, I also made my own Liz kitbash.
I made the leather jacket and necklace on my own, and sculpted the head myself. I got the belt from Hot Toys Abe, and I think I got the boots from ebay, I dunno from what part that is, but it's movie Liz accurate boots. I'm happy with it but I would be super happy if there's a proper Hot Toys or 3rd party company Liz!

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_1572.JPG

Me too! I really hope someday there will be a 3rd party company that will make a proper movie Liz.
Just like you, I also made my own Liz kitbash.
I made the leather jacket and necklace on my own, and sculpted the head myself. I got the belt from Hot Toys Abe, and I think I got the boots from ebay, I dunno from what part that is, but it's movie Liz accurate boots. I'm happy with it but I would be super happy if there's a proper Hot Toys or 3rd party company Liz!

View attachment 505584

View attachment 505585

That looks excellent!

Mine's just a quickly put together bash, but yours is a proper job!

Looks to me that when you bend the arms it doesn?t crease like other figures.
Maybe I?m wrong but a welcome improvement if that?s the case.
I think it might be a new silicone/pvc material for the body which means more durable and won't crack easily with time. I was watching the reviews on YouTube the only one with good quality and when the legs are bent they don't look like normal jointed legs, more like a Phicen body type as they go in pretty far more so then a truetype I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if HT made their own phicen type body.

I think it might be a new silicone/pvc material for the body which means more durable and won't crack easily with time. I was watching the reviews on YouTube the only one with good quality and when the legs are bent they don't look like normal jointed legs, more like a Phicen body type as they go in pretty far more so then a truetype I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if HT made their own phicen type body.

Yeah, I think it must be the new body,
I?ll have my Hellboy in a few days and compare him to Thanos

Yeah, I think it must be the new body,
I?ll have my Hellboy in a few days and compare him to Thanos
That would be great is thanos arms like a similar phicen type silicon feel? I think it will be great in hand but I'm concerned HT used some type of jointed body underneath had they used a metal skeleton the body could hold it's pose very well.

Ok guys I said **** it and got Hellboy from Toys wonderland I'm not waiting for sideshow might cancel my order from them and get my money back. But I'm also considering getting two so I might keep my order. But yeah I really want this guy now so I paid that day one price so hope to see it this week maybe.

just pick the bad boy up, a very heavy and sturdy figure, may be some metal inside. the muscle detail is amazing, head sculpt too. waited for almost 2 years, product release day pushed back due to the pandemic, but its worth it. also lots of accessories to play with, another top notch figure from hot toys!

ewweQay.jpg

Justin has posted his video. And your right 2littlemoney there is a metal skeleton under the body justin confirms it in his video.
https://youtu.be/2Ec311TD0Go

HT must be taking notes from Phicen

I got to say I have no interest in this character but I am mighty tempted to get this. Could be worth a bit down the line on the after market. :monkey3

Yeah don't sleep on this one - even if you don't like the film but like Hellboy, this looks like a great representation. I enjoyed the film for what it was, and been so stoked to get this release.

Going to be a long final wait to get my hands on it!

After seeing the review as well... guys. This will definitely have a small production run, and the quality of it means it will sell out. If I wasn't veering into a new collection style I'd pick up a second one for sure.

Very happy with how it turned out, also, great review Justin!

Yeah don't sleep on this one - even if you don't like the film but like Hellboy, this looks like a great representation. I enjoyed the film for what it was, and been so stoked to get this release.

Going to be a long final wait to get my hands on it!

After seeing the review as well... guys. This will definitely have a small production run, and the quality of it means it will sell out. If I wasn't veering into a new collection style I'd pick up a second one for sure.

Very happy with how it turned out, also, great review Justin!
Definitely agree. This is going to be the last Hellboy we see for long time there could still be a possibility of a new Perlman Hellboy from the first film or remake of the Hellboy 2 figure by HT. But until then your better off getting this (that's if your a Hellboy fan) I'm hoping to see him in hand this week and get a good feel on how awesome he is I'll post images once I do. I feel like we should get a Netflix series with Harbor returning as Hellboy but have it be not tied to the 2019 film, and make it closer to the comics. Maybe it could even work as an anthology of episodes similar to the short stories done in the comics.

Back