Hot Toys 1/6 Gellert Grindelwald

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I could see for this was that the licensor had comments on the likeness. But that notion would not even make sense considering the fact that the licensor approves all the horrible Star Ace likenesses.

man it never fails, initial heavily photoshopped blogger pics come out and everyone gets scared and a little crazy.

I'll admit there does look to be A LOT of detail loss in these pics but:
1)loss of texture/detail always happens from proto to production piece
2)the extra photo editing always makes less detail look even worse. It's like the reverse of instagram/snapchat filters. Instead of making it look better it usually takes too much away from these figures.
3)Regular collector in-hand pics tend to show more of what we are actually getting than what HT posts on social media.

Positives from these initial photos are that the tailoring on the outfit still looks immaculate which to me was a big selling point on this guy. I'll keep my PO unless in-hand photos look just as bad as these

8ff0e8ceec9c32290c507b7e8e9b26e0.jpg
e376c54ccfe3bde20af8af17f9bddec3.jpg
ca824460a28f41ebc5ada882eb9db760.jpg
c9b41ca4a215b859c984ca1bb8bfffbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice photo comp there, jedijim! Might have to carve out some plastic behind the ears and pin them back some to get a more accurate look. I did this for a figure a looooong time ago but I can not for the life of me remember which one it was.

Pics or it didn’t happen...
They're on the HT Facebook page. Oddly enough, they did not post any on Instagram

Thanks, JJ!

If I?m being honest, it?s about the same slide we generally see proto to production.

Proto:

B06E4A43-04DA-48DE-A7DF-B750E467368E.jpeg

Newt looks great though!

18670178-ED46-47E3-A376-09E1EA071F4C.jpeg
300F239D-6315-439C-8F72-09412293B152.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Johnny probably wanted them to make him look younger and slimmer lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Too bad. Was keeping an eye on this since I quite enjoyed Depp's performance in the movie. Calm, creepy, in control and no hysterical crazy laughing (looking at you Voldy).

Jesus Christ that looks bad!
How did it slide so far? Looks like a completely different head sculpt and paint application.
No resemblance to Johnny Depp whatsoever.

Too bad. Was keeping an eye on this since I quite enjoyed Depp's performance in the movie. Calm, creepy, in control and no hysterical crazy laughing (looking at you Voldy).

I too am quite sad, I though Grindelwald was a pretty damn good villain - understated and sinister (which is a rarity for Depp in recent years)

I'm torn - I still love the costume design and the rest of the figure looks great still, but that head sculpt is horrid.
I might well cancel the pre-order...
not sure - thoughts?

On a happier note Newt looks fantastic - completely happy to keep his pre-order, and I'm excited to display him!

Jesus Christ that looks bad!
How did it slide so far? Looks like a completely different head sculpt and paint application.
No resemblance to Johnny Depp whatsoever.

I too am quite sad, I though Grindelwald was a pretty damn good villain - understated and sinister (which is a rarity for Depp in recent years)

I'm torn - I still love the costume design and the rest of the figure looks great still, but that head sculpt is horrid.
I might well cancel the pre-order...
not sure - thoughts?

On a happier note Newt looks fantastic - completely happy to keep his pre-order, and I'm excited to display him
!

Agreed, I love the costume but the sculpt doesn't look at all good in those pics, it's too thin and looks like Grindelwald got de-aged or something! Very disappointed. Don't know whether to stick or twist with my pre-order on this one. Hopefully some in-hand photos will start to surface soon as the initial pics can sometimes make the figure's sculpts look more 'off' than they actually are...so really hoping he'll look better in those, then I can decide. :pray:

Newt on the other hand looks absolutely amazing - so that order I will definitely be keeping! :rock

The thing that's most off are his ears. I think that would fix a lot of the shape issues people are seeing. You'll need to heat those and push them in.

Back