Hot Toys 1/6 Gellert Grindelwald

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He definitely looks stylized. I'm glad I ended up only going with Newt.

That's a pretty drastic difference.

I ordered the Alita figure and I'm a bit nervous about how it's going to turn out now.

Figure looks pretty cool to me. The costume design is great and the sculpt looks decent in videos.

Not expecting this to be very popular so can probably grab dirt cheap on ebay later.

I don’t mind the movie and consider myself a Potter fan but not enough to invest in this figure. Having said that I believe the costume design of this character is the reason why we should collect 1/6 of figures. It’s the intricate details that small action figures cannot translate. I think we loose our direction with simple 1/6 figures like SW Leia, Han Solo, BLACK Panther, Emperor Royal gaurds etc style figures. I think this Depp figure will have a greater WOW factor On shelf.

Justin has posted his video review.
Naturally he thinks it "looks... fan-TASTIC" (gotta love his positivity)
I must say that it looks a damn sight better in the video than in those awful photos.
There is still, in my opinion, quite a bit of difference from the prototype - but not all that bad.

Thanks for sharing the video. He does look better there as I imagined he would but I'm still going to wait for a few more in-hand pics/reviews to make final judgment on my order.

I do find it odd/lazy of HT to use the prototype of this figure as the cover for the box-art, but for Newt they went with a real promotional image of Eddie Redmayne. I hate inconsistency like that.

Reminds me of another great Depp piece with multi layers and fantastic tailoring
7B75E99B-DD82-45DB-9330-9B5AAD9A09CC.jpg
4519B0E0-314E-4736-AAF1-CD1089CB827B.jpg

Looks much better in the video. Hot Toys better not use that photographer again.

They don't use a one singular person. They send out a production sample early to multiple popular Asian figure bloggers to professionally photograph the figure(s) and edit them as well, with some who add the special effects. From what I can tell (though pure speculation) is that HT thinks this helps makes their figures look more real by putting the figures in movie scene type photos. Unfortunately, most of us normal collectors never have our figures displayed in any sort of special, dramatic, film-recreating lighting and scenes so it doesn't give us a good idea of what we're getting in hand. Most collectors take it out of the box, plop the sucker on a stand and call it a day.

Yeah I've gotta say the last few releases have had product photos that seriously over-smooth the figures and their overall presentation. It adds a lot of weight to the "it's better in-hand" argument.

They don't use a one singular person. They send out a production sample early to multiple popular Asian figure bloggers to professionally photograph the figure(s) and edit them as well, with some who add the special effects. From what I can tell (though pure speculation) is that HT thinks this helps makes their figures look more real by putting the figures in movie scene type photos. Unfortunately, most of us normal collectors never have our figures displayed in any sort of special, dramatic, film-recreating lighting and scenes so it doesn't give us a good idea of what we're getting in hand. Most collectors take it out of the box, plop the sucker on a stand and call it a day.

I am talking about the guy who took the photos that shows a distorted face and such. Kindar Toys. They shouldn’t use this photographer again.

I am talking about the guy who took the photos that shows a distorted face and such. Kindar Toys. They shouldn?t use this photographer again.

And I?m saying all the photos of the production piece HT posted on social media by different photographers look equally *distorted* so saying one shouldn?t be used is almost like saying none should be used :dunno: I?m not defending HT as I don?t tend to not like the overdone release photos either b/c they tend to make a figure look worse & everyone gets all up in arms right way, but then when in-hand collector pics come in folks tend to change their tune (myself included until I understood the pattern).

Based on the FB feedback. The second batch of photos made people happier. That’s why I said they shouldn’t use that particular photographer. You made it sound like I said none of these photographers should be use. When I am saying distorted, I mean facial slimming, whether it’s through software or lens distortion.

Not sure what is being portrayed here? Difference in camera lens/zoom? Or is he comparing two different sculpts?

Back