Hot Toys – MMS202D04 - 1/6th scale RoboCop Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think they will. Just not enough uproar about that and I wouldn't put it past them to not notice it themselves.

To be fair, I don't think the faceplate was pressed all the way in on the figure at that show.

I don't understand why they dubbed over ED-209, is it because of a licensing issue? They are doing a Peter Weller sculpt for their BD version so I assume they have the rights to use him and his voice for this figure? Or will they have to dub it too? Because Weller's got a pretty distinct voice. I would definitely be unhappy if they dubbed it.

I reckon they did it because one of the lines could not be separated from the background noise but they really wanted to have it nevertheless. So they redubbed the whole lot so as to keep it consistent. A bad decision. They should have just left the difficult line out like NECA did.

I don't agree with their decision to do it, but I can understand how somebody who may not be a huge fan of the original may think "hey, ED is just a robot it doesn't matter if he sounds like a particular real person." RoboCop, on the other hand, was voiced by the star of the movie; a well-known actor with a very recognizable voice. In my opinion, it would be a much bigger faux pas if they re-dub any of Robo's lines.

I don't agree with their decision to do it, but I can understand how somebody who may not be a huge fan of the original may think "hey, ED is just a robot it doesn't matter if he sounds like a particular real person." RoboCop, on the other hand, was voiced by the star of the movie; a well-known actor with a very recognizable voice. In my opinion, it would be a much bigger faux pas if they re-dub any of Robo's lines.

I don't see why they'd do such a stupid thing. Even the EB Robo sounds great, like Weller IMO. I thought they didn't have the license to Robo 1 at all. Does voice apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why they'd do such a stupid thing. Even the EB Robo sounds great, like Weller IMO. I thought they didn't have the license to Robo 1 at all. Does voice apply?

That's a good question. I don't know why EB was able to use Weller's voice if they only have the RoboCop 3 license. Perhaps it is as you suggest. As long as you have the license from the movie studio maybe you can use audio clips from a film without a particular actor's permission, but not their visual likeness. I don't know. Just speculating.

Also, I really don't think Hot Toys will re-dub RoboCop's voice. I was just commenting on the fact that a lot of people seem to be worried that they might given what they did with ED. I, like many others, suspect the reason they re-dubbed ED is because they couldn't isolate ED's voice from the background noise. I don't think that will be a problem with RoboCop

That's a good question. I don't know why EB was able to use Weller's voice if they only have the RoboCop 3 license. Perhaps it is as you suggest. As long as you have the license from the movie studio maybe you can use audio clips from a film without a particular actor's permission, but not their visual likeness. I don't know. Just speculating.

Also, I really don't think Hot Toys will re-dub RoboCop's voice. I was just commenting on the fact that a lot of people seem to be worried that they might given what they did with ED. I, like many others, suspect the reason they re-dubbed ED is because they couldn't isolate ED's voice from the background noise. I don't think that will be a problem with RoboCop

Oh, I know what you were saying. But I think people are skeptical because it wouldn't be really all that surprising if HT did that... It's HT after all. I don't really think they care about getting the voices right or how important the source material (when it comes to Robo) actually Is for some of us.

I'm sure there's people (lots) around the globe that won't care if Robo sounds Asian.. Or Hispanic.

Oh, I know what you were saying. But I think people are skeptical because it wouldn't be really all that surprising if HT did that... It's HT after all. I don't really think they care about getting the voices right or how important the source material (when it comes to Robo) actually Is for some of us.

I'm sure there's people (lots) around the globe that won't care if Robo sounds Asian.. Or Hispanic.

Yeah. I completely understand why many are skeptical. And, you are right, it is certainly possible that Hot Toys might change it. I don't think they will, but you never know. I will be very disappointed if they do change his voice, but not surprised. That said, even if they make him sound like Elmer Fudd I would still buy the figure as I don't plan on using the voice features myself (but I understand why it might be important to others)

Oh me too man. I'll buy it regardless. Sounds are a gimmick, nothing more. I wish they weren't included is all.

I'm agreeing with those who believe that ED's voice was redone just because of not being able to isolate his voice from the soundtrack. Everyone has to remember, or perhaps be taught, how movies and TV shows were done back then. Unlike a modern production, where all the individual visual and audio effect assets would be archived, with an older film like Robocop, all we have is the complete product. And when it comes to that, you can't simply splice out an individual audio element. Especially from a film created in the old analog days. The original voice recordings may still be in existence somewhere. Perhaps in a vault or storage locker or basement somewhere, but nobody at MGM would have gone through the trouble of finding it simply because a toy manufacturer wanted it. But as others have said, Robo should be fine as his lines generally aren't being trampled over by other audio like ED, being the main character and all. Besides, I think we should all be more concerned about other things, like the huge ass loops on his shoulders. They shouldn't be that big!

Oh me too man. I'll buy it regardless. Sounds are a gimmick, nothing more. I wish they weren't included is all.

It is included though, and you're paying extra for it. So I'd prefer that it didn't sound like this guy.

Kim-Jong-Il-in-Team-Ameri-001.jpg

Hope next month- passed on EB big Robo for several reasons- I think HT version even at 1/6 will be the better figure- plus DIECAST makes me excited!

Back