HBO got Preacher!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occulum

ExeKutioner
Reaction score
My nips are pointy! :elefant :elefant :elefant

ZapToIt said:
HBO Hears Word of 'Preacher'

Network developing series based on comics
November 29, 2006

HBO is setting out to find God, via an adaptation of Vertigo Comics' popular 1990s series "Preacher."

The network has begun developing an hour-long series based on the comic, about a disillusioned minister who, after merging with a supernatural being called Genesis, seeks out God in hopes of making Him answer for his abandonment of heaven.

Mark Steven Johnson, the writer-director of "Daredevil" and "Ghost Rider," will write the pilot script, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Howard Deutch ("Gleason," "Some Kind of Wonderful") is attached to direct; the two will also serve as executive producers along with Michael De Luca, Chris Bender, JC Spink and George Agusto.

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, the creators of "Preacher," will be co-exec producers.

"Preacher" earned a cult following during its late 1990s run for its handling of spiritual issues, as well as its gallows humor and atmospheric visuals, which often draw on the language of westerns. After merging with Genesis and gaining superhuman powers, preacher Jesse Custer sets off to find God with his trigger-happy ex-girlfriend, Tulip, and an Irish vampire named Cassidy.

The HBO pilot is the latest of several attempts to adapt "Preacher"; none of the previous efforts made it all the way through the process. The most prominent of those was a movie with "X-Men" star James Marsden set to play Custer. It fizzled out in 2004.

Michael Biehne
Michael Wincott
Michael Madsen

ennie meenie...

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! At least it was a cable premium channel that picked up the rights. Any watered down crappy NBC show would kill the character and the entire tone of the comic. I can't wait for this. Wonder how grusome it will be?

congerking said:
Wonder how grusome it will be?

Knowing HBO, it will be a gruesome as it can be. HBO is by far the best channel that could have picked this up. I see it having a similar tone to Carnivale.

King Darkness said:
Knowing HBO, it will be a gruesome as it can be. HBO is by far the best channel that could have picked this up. I see it having a similar tone to Carnivale.

I could see that King. I'm been getting into Dexter on showtime (if you havne't checked it out, WATCH IT), I could see Preacher at about that tone as well.

congerking said:
I could see that King. I'm been getting into Dexter on showtime (if you havne't checked it out, WATCH IT), I could see Preacher at about that tone as well.

I haven't seen Dexter.....I'll have to check it out, when is it on?!?!? Whats it about?

King Darkness said:
I haven't seen Dexter.....I'll have to check it out, when is it on?!?!? Whats it about?

It's usually on Showtome Sundays at 10pm, or if you have Showtime OnDemand, it's on whenever you want. Here's the plot off of imdb.com:
"During the day, Dexter Morgan is a jovial employee in the Miami Metropolitan Police Depoartment's crime lab, but his meticulously crafted life masks his true nature. In reality Dexter is a disciplined and murderous psychopath (a self-admitted "monster"), and he slakes his bloodlust at night by carefully killing the serial killers he tracks down during the day."

This description really doesn't do the show justice. It's a dark, murderous, with dark comedy moments which I think would be awesome back-to-back with preacher, too bad HBO got it.

congerking said:
It's usually on Showtome Sundays at 10pm, or if you have Showtime OnDemand, it's on whenever you want. Here's the plot off of imdb.com:
"During the day, Dexter Morgan is a jovial employee in the Miami Metropolitan Police Depoartment's crime lab, but his meticulously crafted life masks his true nature. In reality Dexter is a disciplined and murderous psychopath (a self-admitted "monster"), and he slakes his bloodlust at night by carefully killing the serial killers he tracks down during the day."

This description really doesn't do the show justice. It's a dark, murderous, with dark comedy moments which I think would be awesome back-to-back with preacher, too bad HBO got it.

Sounds pretty damn cool. I'll have to check it out for sure. Thanks for the info.

nice interview about the series

MSJ: So I understand people's confusion at first thinking, "Is this going to be Preacher lite?" It's not. It's going to be exactly the comic book. We had our first meeting with Garth Ennis on the phone and Garth Ennis was the one saying, "You don't have to be so beholden to the comic. Some things we just did…because. There are other ways to go." It's funny to hear him say something like that. But that's usually the case. Creators say stuff like, you can add to it, you can take away from it, you can try something different. But I made it very clear to him and to HBO that this is a series based on one of the greatest comic series of all time. Therefore you don't want to stray from it, you want to make it exact and thank God for HBO, they're the only place I could think of that could do it.

:chew

I’m still not sure. I'll wait and see as my skepticism has kept my optimism in check when it comes to PREACHER.

Back