Han Hoth Coat -- Adding Real Fur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonTon

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Saw that I was getting close to my 1,000th post so I figured I'd make it a useful one. Been meaning to do a small tutorial on this for a while as I already replaced the fur on the blue coat version (but didn't take any step-by-step pics).
First step is removing the old fur by splitting it down the middle first, which will later reveal the thread holding it in place with the hood.

Once it's split you can then find the stitching and start to cut and remove that:

Then next is to remove all the loose stitching strands until the two sections of the hood are clean:

[

Now for the next part, which involves cutting the fur (I purchased a rabbit pelt on eBay for $10 and it gives you lots of room for trial and error.

After lots of testing the fur in the hood and trimming, it ended up at 4 1/4" by 1/4"
1064edfa1a210dbdba803c1edf81b681_zpsklsdgcji.jpg

ffe01ffbee1db4ef19c76ef87d55df3a_zpstihasdpl.jpg

Here's the end result on the blue coat figure.

I would totally DESTROY the coat if I tried doing this. And somehow set my house on fire. My clumsiness cannot be underestimated.

Wish I had your skills, mate. Looks amazing. Might have to find someone to do this for me. It really improves the overall look.

Thanks for that TonTon. It really does make this figure better. I'm sooo doing that to mine. Off to evilBay!

This is great. I have been planning on doing this but have been sidetracked with other custom projects.

Thanks for posting the tutorial pics, they weill be helpful when the time comes to mod mine.

Your Han looks great, fantastic job dude. :)

I see lots of different rabbit pelts of different grades on ebay. Do you have a link for the one you used or could recommend?

So in the last photo of the brown coat, I just have the fur placed between the two sections of the hoods. I put it in place like that several times and then trim the fur until it looks right (this part is a pain in the ass). Then once it looks like you want it too, the last step is to sew it in place.
I'm actually planning on trying a different fur piece than the one pictures before sewing it in place, as this fur piece has a bit too much brown for my taste--want one with more gray as shown in the blue coat pic. I'll take pics of the sewing process too when I start that.

Back