Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse my lack of geek knowledge, but why are the robots called Jaegers? Isn't that what the robots in Zoids were called? Does that mean something intrinsic to giant robots or something? I know kaiju means monster or some such, so I understand the generic reference there, but...

I'm thinking the term is a reference to Jet Jaguar, a giant robot that appeared in old Godzilla movies.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, same here. I just watched it and it looked okay but I was really expecting something more. Looks like a generic Roland Emmerich summer movie. Thank God he passed on The Hobbit.

Agreed. Guillermo has too much imagination and energy to confine himself to such boring and overhyped movies. Mind you he still put two years of hard work into the script and pre-production, but it seems like everyone is content to just forget that and sing the praises of Jackson instead.

This movie looks like a lot of fun but I am glad GDT didn't end up doing The Hobbit. I just don't think that is his kind of movie.

this looks like it is going to be kick-ass.

pacificrim.jpg

This just looks like another loud, obnoxious video game. Even my friend turned to me during the trailer and said she thought it looked like BATTLESHIP.

It's disappointing too, since Del Toro is talented and the concept is up my alley. The trailer just doesn't spark my interest one bit.

That's exactly why it's not going to be just another trashy Skyline/Battle: LA/Battleship though. There's talent behind this.

Then they better get their **** together and show me a trailer that looks like more than an inane video game. A solid director doesn't always guarantee a quality film.

agreed, the trailer looked pretty bad and very weak. Seemed standard affair with wooden character and little anything else, the monster fighting themselves also looked pretty lame.

Yes i got all of that just from the trailer.

Yeah, same here. I just watched it and it looked okay but I was really expecting something more. Looks like a generic Roland Emmerich summer movie. Thank God he passed on The Hobbit.

:slap Nope... absolutely not...
And he didn't pass on The Hobbit... he just got tired of all the studios B.S.

Well then why didn't the trailer to Pacific Rim look half as impressive as the first teaser for The Hobbit then? :dunno

It looks quite impressive... nothing to do with the Hobbit... apples and oranges

This movie looks like a lot of fun but I am glad GDT didn't end up doing The Hobbit. I just don't think that is his kind of movie.

He's done quite a bit of Fantasy, so I think it would've been awesome too... :dunno

this looks like it is going to be kick-ass.

pacificrim.jpg

:rock

This just looks like another loud, obnoxious video game. Even my friend turned to me during the trailer and said she thought it looked like BATTLESHIP.

It's disappointing too, since Del Toro is talented and the concept is up my alley. The trailer just doesn't spark my interest one bit.

So much fail...

That's exactly why it's not going to be just another trashy Skyline/Battle: LA/Battleship though. There's talent behind this.

:exactly:

agreed, the trailer looked pretty bad and very weak. Seemed standard affair with wooden character and little anything else, the monster fighting themselves also looked pretty lame.

Yes i got all of that just from the trailer.

:thwak

:slap Nope... absolutely not...
And he didn't pass on The Hobbit... he just got tired of all the studios B.S.

Right. He got tired of the studio wrangling and passed on directing the movie.

Some movies have great trailers and some don't. I'm just surprised that this one didn't. It doesn't mean the movie will be bad. Avengers had so so trailers and turned out to be awesome. Hopefully that will be the case with Pacific Rim.

If it didn't have GDT's name attached and the trailer instead said "From the director of Tron: Legacy" or "From the director of "Independence Day and 2012" I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised. It just looks extremely generic to me.

I thought the trailer was awesome. Didn't give me that "generic" vibe that Skyline/Battle: LA/etc trailers gave me.
Just by what you see in the trailer you can tell that more thought has been put into this film.

Love Idris Elba's speech too, "Today, at the edge of our hope. At the end of our time. We have chosen to believe in each other. Today we face the monsters that are at our door! Today we are cancelling the apocalypse!"

...and I thought the Avengers trailers were great as well :dunno

I guarantee the final product will have all the depth and humanity of Guillermo's previous projects. This trailer, while I still enjoyed it, was designed to appeal to the summer action crowd. Come opening day, you'll be seeing a lot more heart and drama than what's being previewed here.

I have to say, this preview looked great on the big screen. I wanna see this on the biggest screen possible.

Back