GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS - Legendary Pictures' Godzilla 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Legendary Pictures GODZILLA 2

So Cranston didn't think it was a good idea, he was right.

“I was reading that script going, ‘Wow here’s the emotional core! This character– And he’s dead!’ Whoa! Page 50 and he’s dead! How did that happen?

“I told them, I said, ‘You’re going to make a mistake by killing this character too soon.’ It’s just a narrative mistake to have this happen. And it’s not me. Anybody else who played this character– It’s too much… Eh, it’s a long story.

“Doesn’t matter! Wait for 'Godzilla 2’ to come out! I’m still dead.”

Sounds good...but 2018 is way too far away to even begin to get excited :lol

So Cranston didn't think it was a good idea, he was right.

“I was reading that script going, ‘Wow here’s the emotional core! This character– And he’s dead!’ Whoa! Page 50 and he’s dead! How did that happen?

“I told them, I said, ‘You’re going to make a mistake by killing this character too soon.’ It’s just a narrative mistake to have this happen. And it’s not me. Anybody else who played this character– It’s too much… Eh, it’s a long story.

“Doesn’t matter! Wait for 'Godzilla 2’ to come out! I’m still dead.”

Cranston knows his **** :lecture.

I would honestly love to hear an explanation as to the thought process of killing Joe off, what message did they feel they were conveying doing that and why was that deemed more important than if he'd stayed.

When we first started hearing about characters, I thought a central part of the story would be an ongoing tension between Joe and Ford and I thought there would be a build up of clues around the MUTOs and Godzilla's existence and we'd be on a journey with them on two sides of the matter. Essentially the first act is almost one movie, then acts 2 and 3 are a different, less intricate film.

I was thinking about the shortcomings of the human story to the last film and thinking about the sorts of films that inspired it like JAWS, and one thing that occurred to me that makes the other movies work but where Godzilla felt short is interaction and relationships between the main cast. This is also where Joe getting killed off too early set the film off course. When Joe was in the movie, there was heavy interaction on screen between him and everyone around. As soon as he was gone, all the main people had their little niches and that's how we saw them. We saw Stenz running the military, Graham and Serizawa doing their science thing off by themselves in a corner of the room, we barely saw Ford interact with the soldiers he was with more than a short few words. The whole Ford racing to save his family plot was weakened by the lack of direct interaction after he went to Japan. Her seeing news casts and trying to call him, him leaving voicemails. The entire time they're apart there's one brief, but pretty solid, phone call between them.

Imagine how much more powerful the movie would have felt if Ford was trying to talk to Elle while monsters are knocking the world down around her and him having to deal with not being there to protect and other plot lines like that.

I love Godzilla 2014, and I can recognize the flaws, but I feel like it is a film where there was a lot of potential and if they can improve in a few areas with 2 and 3 we could be in for some really great films, I don't feel like it was a movie that had nothing to work with and was just awful all around. It's like getting a C+ on a test but having the smarts to actually get an A+. Edwards is a good storyteller, I really like Monsters but the sorts of things i mention lacking from Godzilla are what made that movie work with me and I'm curious why those got lost, maybe doing a big Hollywood production was overwhelming and he was trying to so hard to keep up and on track that he didn't even realize he was lacking some things.

Whoever gave the green light to kill off the most important human character in the first film is a flat out idiot. That still bothers me. Such a waste.

This is very true, almost ruined the movie.

Not even the TOHO movies do that within the context of their wacky narratives.

Cranston conveyed a very palpable sense of desperation and dread whenever he was on screen. When he left it was just a by-the-numbers bug hunt. Kind of weird that they made ALIENS in reverse.

I still enjoyed the film, but having him around for that movie and future ones make a average/good film a very good one. You don't waste a talent like him by killing him half way through a movie, especially when your planning on making more. They will never get a better lead actor then him. I think it pisses me off more talking about it. It's like, how can you be so dumb to do that!? Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch won't bring ppl to see the sequel.

Maybe wanted RDJ kind of money for a full movie appearance and they went cheap on him.

Remember, everything revolves around that.

The first was delayed too and the movie was still mediocre. Hopefully they kill it this time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

if this has Ghidora, Mothra and Rodan and if the storyline is great its gonna make 1/2 billion plus box office IMHO....you know what?...scratch that...as long as there is at least 1/2 hour worth of monsters on screen time it'll be great...hell even if Ed Wood was directing lol

PR had horrible Kaiju.

Oh well, Godzilla 2016 better be good now, it will need to hold us over until 2019. :lol

I'm looking forward to Godzilla 2 but not so much Godzilla v Kong.

Yea I don't care to much about king kong or him fighting godzilla. Why are they going to make him so damn big anyway? Godzilla has always been better anyway.

Yeah...just a silly money move imo. It won't have the charm of the original.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back