GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS - Legendary Pictures' Godzilla 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late to the party with this one.

I finally watched this last night. I really enjoyed it! So much that I would happily watch it again now. A massive improvement over the 2014 movie.

It's one of those movies that I regret not seeing in the cinema. However the reason I didn't see it in the cinema was based on:
- Being completely disappointed by the 2014 movie. I was so excited to see this in the cinema and left almost hating the movie. Although I've watched it a few times since and enjoy it more now.
- I don't have the time (or money) to visit the cinema like I did in my early days. Given I'd recently watched Endgame my next viewing would usually be a few months later. Although the only movie I've seen at the cinema since then is The Lion King with my family.
(The fact that you can get HD copies within days doesn't help the industry either. I could have watched this month's ago but never got round to it.)

Shame it didn't make more money as it's a really good movie however I guess people like me are a reason for that. :lol

Whatever it lacked in the box office, it seems to be gaining ground in home sales. It seems like the box office is not reflective of the reception or interest, but just that something was going against it for people going.

This came out in May and was on digital HD just a few months later, the immediate home release of films I think is a deterrent for films where an audience might go, I can wait a few more months to save money and be in the comfort of my home, and Godzilla is certainly that type of franchise, it needs something really spectacular to justify going out and spending more.

For me, there are some aspects I liked about seeing it in the theater, and some where I prefer the smaller screen home experience. With the number of tight shots on the monsters, I feel like there was a lot I wasn't taking in where at home I can enjoy the full picture more easily.

Whatever it lacked in the box office, it seems to be gaining ground in home sales. It seems like the box office is not reflective of the reception or interest, but just that something was going against it for people going.

This came out in May and was on digital HD just a few months later, the immediate home release of films I think is a deterrent for films where an audience might go, I can wait a few more months to save money and be in the comfort of my home, and Godzilla is certainly that type of franchise, it needs something really spectacular to justify going out and spending more.

For me, there are some aspects I liked about seeing it in the theater, and some where I prefer the smaller screen home experience. With the number of tight shots on the monsters, I feel like there was a lot I wasn't taking in where at home I can enjoy the full picture more easily.

How much does a studio factor in the home release sales to whether to movie is a success or not?

How much does a studio factor in the home release sales to whether to movie is a success or not?

I would say any dollar they get back from work they produced means something to them. I remember articles about the possibility of a Pirates 6 being impacted by home sales of 5 after it suffered at the box office.

I think they rely on Box Office for the main income and don’t count on home sales, but it’s still money being made from the work.

Home video I think still makes a difference, for example Firefly was popular on DVD and that's one reason they made Serenity, otherwise there's no reason for a studio to do that.

Indeed, wish they would show off the actual product and not the digital render for producing it. Way too large and pricey though.

Finally saw this..to say the plot was an unbelievable, far fetched and mind boggling script for the human?s storyline , would be an understatement, even for a Godzilla flick :cuckoo:

However of course, the monster battles made the film :wink1:

It is Godzilla Day every Friday on AMC this month. Watched some 60's Godzilla flicks. Its hard for me to remember my love for these, but I do remember the movies backward and forward when it comes to the monster shots.

Still haven't seen the new one, but I hope its comes to TV soon.

It is Godzilla Day every Friday on AMC this month. Watched some 60's Godzilla flicks. Its hard for me to remember my love for these, but I do remember the movies backward and forward when it comes to the monster shots.

Still haven't seen the new one, but I hope its comes to TV soon.

Meaning you don't love them anymore ?

Yeah... I mean, its like Dinosaurs, I used to love them and know them all, but now they don't really do anything for me. Kaiju are basically the same. I outgrew them long ago. About the time Jaws and Star Wars came out.

My love for dinosaurs never went away and I still love Godzilla cause it reminds me of a simple time and I love the character so much. Even tho they look like feathered chickens now I still love dinosaurs cause I still see them as giant lizards from long ago

The day you wake up hating and abandoning old Godzilla is the day you need to hang up your soul and fully embrace the miserable cynical old bastard that you have now become, how does that one foot in the grave feel Wor-Gar lol

Feathered chickens :rotfl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The day you wake up hating and abandoning old Godzilla is the day you need to hang up your soul and fully embrace the miserable cynical old bastard that you have now become, how does that one foot in the grave feel Wor-Gar lol

I know, sad. Very sad.

That said, after that post I got obsessed with the fact that X-plus made a Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster figure that I didn't know about and suddenly my inner child came back and I spent 4 hours on Sunday reviewing the figure videos and looking at the other X-plus monsters.

When I was 8-11 I was so obsessed with Godzilla movies that I made all the monsters out of simple paper-and-tape (all between 8-12 inches tall) and had an entire line-up. My first "collection". Yes, its starts that early.

Back