GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS - Legendary Pictures' Godzilla 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait wut 340 means they're losing a ton of money NOT breaking even not even close lol

Don't make me get Wor-Gar :lol

Generally, you double the production cost to account for things like advertising and however much the theaters make, the production budget has been said to be either $170 million or $200 million, so if you double $170 then that's $340 million, so if that's the case then it's broke even.
If it's closer to $200 million budget then it needs to get $400 million.

It's tracking very closely to the first Pacific Rim, where it didn't really make money but wasn't a loss. They had hoped with the PR sequel it would make more money overseas but that one didn't do as well.

Generally, you double the production cost to account for things like advertising and however much the theaters make, the production budget has been said to be either $170 million or $200 million, so if you double $170 then that's $340 million, so if that's the case then it's broke even.
If it's closer to $200 million budget then it needs to get $400 million.

It's tracking very closely to the first Pacific Rim, where it didn't really make money but wasn't a loss. They had hoped with the PR sequel it would make more money overseas but that one didn't do as well.

Wait you think the studio keeps 100% of the tickets sales.

That old formula doesn't really apply today. Think about how vast global marketing is. For this movie it could easily be another $100-$120 million minimum and it continues even as revenue is being made. And unless you're Disney or have a monster franchise, you're not going to get much more than 50% from ticket sales. And that's not counting sharing any profits with actors/producers/directors.

So let's take the lowest possible: a budget of $170M plus another $100M in advertising gets you to $270M

$340 global take minus 50% gives you $170. So at best, Godzilla may have recouped its budget for the physical film, but it has to make at least another $200M to breakeven on its advertising. And if there's any profit-sharing, that changes the entire formula.

You can see that this movie will not be profitable.

And studios don't make these kinds of movies, working over many years, simply to break even. That alone is failure.

Doubling the production budget is what people following the box office usually do and it's applied pretty well for the most part. It's tracking very similar to Pacific Rim which about broke even and still got a sequel. The real question for Godzilla though is what its actual production budget was, since some places reported $200 million vs $170 million.

Doubling the production budget is what people following the box office usually do and it's applied pretty well for the most part. It's tracking very similar to Pacific Rim which about broke even and still got a sequel. The real question for Godzilla though is what its actual production budget was, since some places reported $200 million vs $170 million.

This movie is so in the hole it's not even funny it clearly looks like a 150 million loss for the studio.

You know how I know?

The monday after it opened the studio cancelled the release date for GvK and then the freaking studio head put out a disparaging statement about the people who worked really hard to make KOTM he literally threw them under the bus in a manner that I wouldn't ever want to work at his studio on GvK or any other movie.

That's how everyone knows this movie is a bomb.

They didn't eliminate GvK release date because they broke even.

Doherty is about to join Gareth Edwards in a very long holiday.

Brake even is still better for the franchise than loss.

I mean, we all root for this MonsterVerse to succeed and carry on, but let’s be honest, they’re trying to make millions off a franchise that isn’t big money.

E031852C-FC75-4025-886D-09A793909296.jpeg

Granted, these numbers are only Japan, not global and from the 60s and 70s, but still, this movie, even failing, is selling more than almost the entire Toho series together.

Maul I love the movie and want the series to continue as much as you do but you didn't just whip out Ebirah to prove KOTM is successful did you lol

Yes...yes you did :rotfl

Dude no way in hell will the banks and shareholders be told that all is well it beat Ebirah from 1966 lol

Last edited:
Damn I hope Godzilla vs Kong does better. This summer has been one bomb after another . Endgame really quenched everyone’s thirst for summer movie action.
Disney of course is ****ing killing it now with it’s damn meh remakes of classics and sequels to movies that should of ended at 3

Looking at you toy story

Maul I love the movie and want the series to continue as much as you do but you didn't just whip out Ebirah to prove KOTM is successful did you lol

Yes...yes you did :rotfl

Dude no way in hell will the banks and shareholders be told that all is well it beat Ebirah from the 1966 lol

No, I’m not defending KOTM with Ebirah :lol. What I’m saying is, we got lucky with 2014 and KSI doing the numbers they did, but look at numbers like I shared, Godzilla is not a lucrative franchise and investing a big budget like Legendary did is a bit of a gamble and with this release, I don’t think it’s so much that it’s a bad movie, but probably that it’s a more true Godzilla movie and bound to attract smaller crowds like Toho.

This movie is very Toho in story, but that sort of film is not wide-reaching. You can’t invest Avengers money on Godzilla movie and expect a big return. Toho’s budgets were fairly low relative to what they made.

I don’t think the studio is thinking they made a bad film, I think they just see that for the money they’re spending, you need a certain type of film to succeed and I’m glad we got at least one high budget nostalgia film, and on top of that, it featured Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra. I haven’t counted on movies after GvK so if it ends after that, it won’t be a surprise, regardless of KOTM performance, if it extends, I’ll be delightfully shocked.

Back