GI Joe: The Movie (1987) coming to Blu-Ray!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks k1241, this is the most helpful you have ever been. And no weird picture to boot! :goodpost:

Actually the standard DVD release includes both aspect ratios too:

https://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257178

But at least he tried. ;)

And it looks like each ratio shows something and crops something, not unlike films shot on Super 35. You get a little extra on the sides, or top and bottom, but not both.

CompareDVD.png

Yesterday we brought you Shout! Factory's official press release for G.I. Joe - The Movie: Special Collector's Edition on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. In it, the studio explains that the widescreen version of the production would exclusively be found in the Blu-ray package, where the BD would have the widescreen format and the included DVD would have it in the full screen aspect ratio. However, the DVD-only release would only have the full screen version.

One reason for the latter was because the studio had an obstacle to overcome: several major retailers had indicated they would only stock the DVD version of the title if it was produced on a single disc! The higher-end BD version was not given the same restriction; a Blu+DVD combo pack with 2 discs had been acceptable to retailers who wanted to stock the BDs. So the above had been Shout!'s compromise on the aspect ratio, because there were a significant amount of fans who wanted the "originally-intended" widescreen version, and also a significant amount of fans who said they would prefer the "original direct-to-video presentation" of full screen. However, following the distribution of the press release, there was a fan outcry at the idea that the standard DVD version wouldn't have the option to view the production in widescreen...a reminder that not all widescreen fans have upgraded to the Blu-ray format yet.

Shout! Factory (and in particular their producer for this title, Brian Ward) listened to the fan feedback on this matter, and came to a decision yesterday: due to these strenuous fan objections about the DVD being full-screen-only, Shout! has elected to scale back the bit rate somewhat on the full-screen version of the movie, in order to make room to include the widescreen version on the same disc. Now the DVD-only release will continue to be a single disc release (to meet retailer requirements), but have both versions of the movie AND all the extras mentioned in the press release. And we expect that to be the same DVD which will be included in the Blu-ray + DVD combo pack, too.

This is already available. I have had the Blu Ray / DVD set for several weeks now. Its awesome to watch in Blu Ray.. especially the opening sequence.

For some reason.....I can't watch G.I. Joe or Transformers without falling asleep!!! LoL. I think I watched them all far 2 many times as a kid....

Just got back from taking the fam to Ft. Lauderdale for an extended Labor Day vacation and while there was able to pick the movie on Blu-ray at a FYE outlet store for 22 bucks.

I must say seeing it with this level of clarity and in widescreen makes me feel like I'm finally watching the GI Joe theatrical follow-up to the Transformers animated movie instead of a glorified miniseries. Order it online if you have to, it really is a great presentation of a campy, ridiculous, yet still awesome classic. :)

Just got back from taking the fam to Ft. Lauderdale for an extended Labor Day vacation and while there was able to pick the movie on Blu-ray at a FYE outlet store for 22 bucks.

I must say seeing it with this level of clarity and in widescreen makes me feel like I'm finally watching the GI Joe theatrical follow-up to the Transformers animated movie instead of a glorified miniseries. Order it online if you have to, it really is a great presentation of a campy, ridiculous, yet still awesome classic. :)

Yup, and you can get it for $16 if you order it from Borders, use the 33% Rewards discount and have it shipped to your local store. ;)

I'd just as soon buy the opening and call it a day. Although the Pythona infiltrating the terrodrome bit is pretty sweet and the new recruits sequence.

I'd just as soon buy the opening and call it a day. Although the Pythona infiltrating the terrodrome bit is pretty sweet and the new recruits sequence.

Imagine the devastating blow. Falcon is my favorite and seeing him in the movie was a HUGE letdown; cool he was voiced by Don Johnson though. :lol Thankfully he kicked ass in the comics.

Falcon was an awesome figure indeed! By far my favorite from '87 with TR a close second.

Imagine the devastating blow. Falcon is my favorite and seeing him in the movie was a HUGE letdown; cool he was voiced by Don Johnson though. :lol Thankfully he kicked ass in the comics.

Beats Dic turning him into a junkie. :cuckoo:

Oh come on. The dude helped infiltrate and blow up the Terror Drome (with no weapons) and saved the entire human race from being turned into mindless beasts. When your favorite character dresses in drag and dances his way to freedom then you'll have my sympathies.

Oh come on. The dude helped infiltrate and blow up the Terror Drome (with no weapons) and saved the entire human race from being turned into mindless beasts. When your favorite character dresses in drag and dances his way to freedom then you'll have my sympathies.

Boy George lookalike FTF! :rock:rock:rock

Don Johnson saved the world from Burgess Meredith!

I sooooooo kept thinking "PENGUIN!" every time Globulous talked. :lol

Anyway, the above are two very excellent reasons for why comics > cartoon.

Burgess Meredith rocked. The man chewed the scenery . . . in a cartoon!! I was wating for him to tell Serpentor that he was going to eat lightning and crap thunder and to chase this damn chicken.

Back