Fantastic Four reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats exactly what that is. She spoke the truth about what she was told and now the studio/director are trying to quickly put out the flames.

Exactly, from my understanding when Trank was originally asked to do it, he wanted no part of it. I'm assuming Fox gave him enough money for him to say sure but he has to be allowed to make the film he wants, which is something far different from the comics most likely. That's probably why we see the cast we do and have heard the things we have heard.

Honestly then.. what's the ****ing point. :lol

Oh yeah.. $$.

Yeah, pretty much. The FF doesn't have the following that Spider-man and X-Men have and they have taken some pretty huge liberties with those films so I'm not surprised they'd do what ever they wanted with FF, and as long as the film makes money Fox will think it made a brilliant move, much like Paramount did with Transformers.

Well, agreed that the box office takings might suffer a tad due to this team's overall attitude to the project - to put it mildly of course. :lol

That said, I think there may be a misconception simmering away regarding FF's global popularity. Given the right backing, it could be just as successful as other great Marvel properties. They're iconic Marvel characters - they shouldn't deserve anything less. :huh

Vintij has a good point. I think it's easy to forget how little the masses knew about Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor before Marvel Studios. Not much different than how the FF are perceived now IMO. 2 crappy and forgettable (if you're lucky) FF movies in, and folks still have no real knowledge or interest in those characters. But the FF are a critically important part of the Marvel Universe. They were the first team of the Lee period, and along with Spider-Man was the showcase title for Marvel during the '60s, and Thing was their poster boy. It was the one book Kirby chose to stick with longer than the others, which is a reflection of that. John Byrne's run in the '80s is one of the best comic runs of all time. Reed Richards has consistently been one of the most important characters in the Marvel U. So there's definitely a base from which an FF movie franchise could excel. But it doesn't seem like Fox is bringing in the right kind of creative team to give us that.

Director: "Don't do any research, we're not basing anything in this movie on the source material that fans love."

Actor: "Okay." *tells that to the press*

Actor: "Oh, um, I meant that we're not basing this movie on any one comic, but the entire series in general."

Okay, so WHY again should you NOT be conducting any research of any kind on the *series* then? If they're basing the movie on decades of stories and not just one, that would actually require more research, not less. :slap

I love that this is going to come out the same summer as Age of Ultron and X:Apocalypse. :lol

Here's hoping both of those movies will absolutely crush it at the box office.

Vintij has a good point. I think it's easy to forget how little the masses knew about Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor before Marvel Studios. Not much different than how the FF are perceived now IMO. 2 crappy and forgettable (if you're lucky) FF movies in, and folks still have no real knowledge or interest in those characters. But the FF are a critically important part of the Marvel Universe. They were the first team of the Lee period, and along with Spider-Man was the showcase title for Marvel during the '60s, and Thing was their poster boy. It was the one book Kirby chose to stick with longer than the others, which is a reflection of that. John Byrne's run in the '80s is one of the best comic runs of all time. Reed Richards has consistently been one of the most important characters in the Marvel U. So there's definitely a base from which an FF movie franchise could excel. But it doesn't seem like Fox is bringing in the right kind of creative team to give us that.

I'm just worried that with THREE big budget crappy movies now that enough of the public will equate them with lameness that the FF will have a stigma that will be very hard to shake. GI Joe and Ghost Rider just seem doomed now and for either of those properties to draw large audiences people are going to need to see trailers that are beyond amazing. Unfortunately FF seems to be following suit.

The FF's importance to Marvels rise is huge but I highly doubt any one beside Marvel has any interest in doing a true to the books FF. Even Marvel, in all there success recently was THIS close to casting Will Smith as Steve Rogers and Iron Man is a film that ALMOST got green light before Marvel did it when Tom Cruise tried to buy the character for his own starring vehicle a while back. My point is Marvel almost pulled a FF on Cap, a character I consider higher up than FF and Iron Man was always going to be less of a gamble than doing a straight FF movie.

Fox seems to want to ride on the coat tails of Marvel but the difference between the two is that Marvel actually likes the comic books they are adapting. I've always got the impression that Fox does not like comic books and has always made there films with the fans as the last people in mind until recently. Maybe Fox never wanted a director that liked the FF comics in the first place so when Trank said no, not my thing, they said "YES, THAT"S OUR GUY! GIVE HIM ALL THE MONEY, ALL OF IT!"

I'm just worried that with THREE big budget crappy movies now that enough of the public will equate them with lameness that the FF will have a stigma that will be very hard to shake. GI Joe and Ghost Rider just seem doomed now and for either of those properties to draw large audiences people are going to need to see trailers that are beyond amazing. Unfortunately FF seems to be following suit.
I don't know if this is a franchise that can easily start breaking world records or anything--they don't have the name/brand recognition of Batman/Superman or Transformers, and don't have the crossover potential of Marvel Studios--but I definitely think there's a possibility that audiences of actually good films will support their movies if they don't suck, and write off crappier efforts the same way they do Schumacher's films, X3, First Avenger, etc. And that's a place to start.

I don't know if this is a franchise that can easily start breaking world records or anything--they don't have the name/brand recognition of Batman/Superman or Transformers, and don't have the crossover potential of Marvel Studios--but I definitely think there's a possibility that audiences of actually good films will support their movies if they don't suck, and write off crappier efforts the same way they do Schumacher's films, X3, First Avenger, etc. And that's a place to start.

Did you just throw The First Avenger in with X3 and Batman Forever lol I may not think the films that great but I wouldn't even say that lol

I think the best thing this film can do is just try to be a good film first at this point, they clearly don't care about the fans that much. Who knows, maybe it'll be good, alot of the fans of the Turtles lost their **** when Bay said he was producing that film and now it looks like it might actually be entertaining, maybe this FF can do that same.

Nicely put. :clap

..there's a possibility that audiences of actually good films will support their movies if they don't suck, and write off crappier efforts the same way they do Schumacher's films, X3, First Avenger, etc. And that's a place to start.
Sorry.. you lost me there. :lol TFA is an EXCELLENT film. :huh

I definitely think there's a possibility that audiences of actually good films will support their movies if they don't suck, and write off crappier efforts the same way they do Schumacher's films, X3, A History of Violence, Ghostbusters, etc. And that's a place to start.

I disagree about Ghostbusters (I actually think the first one was much better than the second) but otherwise you make a good point.

I believe thats damage control

Reads like that to me.

Here's hoping both of those movies will absolutely crush it at the box office.

Don't say that too loud...this film's apologists will march in here and throw a tantrum. :lol

:thwak

Back